CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

As for QT's defense of Polanski, that is really quite disgusting.  But that's a topic for another thread.  This one is about the crash and Uma and his negligence which Uma says he wasn't.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Marston said:

Wow. I've been reading comments on Twitter saying they were flat out forced into doing so

Uma didn't say that at all.  And netiher did Krueger.

3 hours ago, Telehilation said:

JFC. You fake it the same way you fake everything else about a movie. You mix up some gelatin-ed, water goop and squirt it through a syringe or something. Maybe you don't actually strangle someone because it's just a movie.

When you are an acclaimed writer/producer/director you have total clout over basically anyone and everyone on set. People will agree to things even if they're uncertain or not thrilled about it. That doesn't make it fine. It's not illegal or anything, it's just really uncool.

JFC?  Easy there big fella.  

• Like 1

Most everything in movies is fake, I struggle to buy into the thinking of "How else are you going to get a shot of someone being strangled, without strangling them?" - are you actually suggesting that all shots in all movies ever of strangling, are real life strangling?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

Here are a few names you might have heard of, that I could find who came out and explicitly defended Roman Polanski many years after the fact. This is not to speak of people who continued to work with him or people in the video above who celebrated him. Note people such as Asia Argento who claim to be victims of this whole scandal.

Woody Allen (hmm.... K)

Wes Anderson

Asia Argento

Darren Aronofsky

Monica Bellucci

Ethan Coen

Penelope Cruz

Alfonso Cuaron

Alexandre Desplat

Guillermo del Toro

Stephen Frears

Peter Fonda

Harrison Ford

Terry Gilliam

Whoopie Goldberg

Isabelle Huppert

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

John Landis

David Lynch

Michael Mann

Sam Mendes

Alexandre Payne

Natalie Portman

Salman Rushdie

Martin Scorcese

Meryl Streep

Tilda Swinton

Kristin Scott Thomas

Emma Thompson

Tom Tykwer

So what are you gonna do, boycott all these peoples movies? Never another Wes Anderson or Coen Bros movie? Boycott Star Wars?

It is a tricky one. I am not saying any of these people are right. They are not. I think it is disgusting to defend a rapist. But you have to accept that if you're going to be a consumer of Hollywood, that you're consuming stuff made from predators and creeps. They're like a big gang of sex offenders. Suck it up or boycott all American entertainment, I guess. Sad to think about really. :( 

This is bullshit. And the insinuation that someone who was raped is simply "claiming to be a victim" is beyond the pale.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Tree Billboards said:

Most everything in movies is fake, I struggle to buy into the thinking of "How else are you going to get a shot of someone being strangled, without strangling them?" - are you actually suggesting that all shots in all movies ever of strangling, are real life strangling?

No, I'm simply stating that he got the shot to look as real as possible by asking the actresses if they were okay with doing it the way he did it.  They either say yes or no.  There are obviously ways of faking it but there are movies where real spit is used, like in Titanic.

3 minutes ago, Telehilation said:

This is bullshit. And the insinuation that someone who was raped is simply "claiming to be a victim" is beyond the pale.

I don't know what happened either way. I haven't read any details about that person, I don't even know who she is, I just was going through names and that one rung a bell with Harvey Weinstein scandal. Same as Penelope Cruz who I think claimed she is a victim of Harvey Weinstein? I am just saying there's a whole lot of hypocrisy. Obviously I sympathise with someone who has been raped, that's not what I meant.

Edited by Tree Billboards

1 minute ago, baumer said:

No, I'm simply stating that he got the shot to look as real as possible by asking the actresses if they were okay with doing it the way he did it.  They either say yes or no.  There are obviously ways of faking it but there are movies where real spit is used, like in Titanic.

Yes, for sure, and perhaps the nuance of the pressure of a situation and whether to acquiesce to someone with a ton of power is a different conversation. I think QT is being disingenuous with his defense of those choices, though -- he repeatedly goes to the "what, am I gonna have a grip do it?" as if somehow that's the only other option, and that somehow his artistic expression is horribly compromised if the saliva texture of fake spit doesn't work. The "I needed it to look like a real strangling, with capillaries bulging" and stuff is also really squicky.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

I don't know what happened either way. I haven't read any details about that person, I don't even know who she is, I just was going through names and that one rung a bell with Harvey Weinstein scandal. Same as Penelope Cruz who I think claimed she is a victim of Harvey Weinstein? I am just saying there's a whole lot of hypocrisy. Obviously I sympathise with someone who has been raped, that's not what I meant.

Then with all due respect, perhaps you should read a little bit about her and her experience(s) before painting her as a fake victim.

• Like 11

While I'm not going to defend Polanski or people who stuck up for him ((He really, really needs to start being held accountable and get shipped back to America to stand trial)), he does have built in sympathy points because he survived the Holocaust and then lost his wife and unborn child to a group of crazy assholes. I'm fairly sure that's how he was able to weather his controversies and get the Oscar win in comparison to say Woody Allen who's gotten way more heat and far less defense. But that's just my two cents.

@Telehilation with re: my last point that you said is BS. Please dont take it personally, I'm not saying everyone who is in your industry is a predator. 

But I'm sorry, I just cannot sympathise with an industry that stands up for and supports a man that raped a 13 year old girl. I can't do it. Sorry. And I dont care if they all claim they've changed and now they really care so much. The Polanski petition was less than a decade ago.