CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

"Defending" or talking about Polanski's work is not the same as what Tarantino has done: adamantly defended Polanski's personal past actions.  There's an equal amount of "whataboutism" going on here.  That's all I have to say. 

These things become inextricably tied together for many, the idea of an artist's personal origins/faults/traumas and their art, I understand that.  And yes, if you really dig into Polanski's work, you can see indications of his proclivities, like anyone else.  But that's what makes it fascinating (and for many, obviously, they lionize Tarantino for going places in his films that most others don't).  But I think most high profile people that ever supported Polanski were doing so because many in the industry considered him to be one of the great filmmakers of the last 50 years.  Almost none of them (as far as I know) were coming out saying what Tarantino has said...no matter when he said it. 

In this particularly notable climate, I'm interested to see how Sony Pictures, Leo, etc. react to all this. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Macleod said:

"Defending" or talking about Polanski's work is not the same as what Tarantino has done: adamantly defended Polanski's personal past actions.  There's an equal amount of "whataboutism" going on here.  That's all I have to say. 

These things become inextricably tied together for many, the idea of an artist's personal origins/faults/traumas and their art, I understand that.  And yes, if you really dig into Polanski's work, you can see indications of his proclivities, like anyone else.  But that's what makes it fascinating (and for many, obviously, they lionize Tarantino for going places in his films that most others don't).  But I think most high profile people that ever supported Polanski were doing so because many in the industry considered him to be one of the great filmmakers of the last 50 years.  Almost none of them (as far as I know) were coming out saying what Tarantino has said...no matter when he said it. 

In this particularly notable climate, I'm interested to see how Sony Pictures, Leo, etc. react to all this. 

so all those people signed that petition because they liked his work? No. I believe pretty much all of them must of not cared what he did. Remember what the petition was for. It was for Polanski to be released

http://www.indiewire.com/2009/09/over-100-in-film-community-sign-polanski-petition-55821/

Edited by John Marston

2 hours ago, John Marston said:

so all those people signed that petition because they liked his work? No. I believe pretty much all of them must of not cared what he did. Remember what the petition was for. It was for Polanski to be released

http://www.indiewire.com/2009/09/over-100-in-film-community-sign-polanski-petition-55821/

because they claimed to adore his work

are among the 100 and counting film industry figures who have signed the petition, coordinated from France by the SACD, an organization which represents performance and visual artists.

“We demand the immediate release of Roman Polanski,” urges the petition. “Film-makers in France, in Europe, in the United States and around the world are dismayed by this decision… It seems inadmissible to them that an international cultural event, paying homage to one of the greatest contemporary film-makers, is used by police to apprehend him.

12 hours ago, Tree Billboards said:

feminists with too much time on their hands.

News flash: you don’t have to be a feminist to be disgusted by what he said about a 13 year old girl getting raped by an old man.

People obviously don’t know what feminist means when they use it as a derogatory term. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

News flash: YOu don’t have to be a feminist to be disgusted by what he said about a 13 year old girl getting raped by an old man.

People obviously don’t know what feminist means when they use it as a derogatory term. 

Get that hypocrite, boo!

2 hours ago, Krissykins said:

News flash: you don’t have to be a feminist to be disgusted by what he said about a 13 year old girl getting raped by an old man.

He said he had sex with a minor, he basically stated the word rape is mostly associated with a voilent act against others will, and that wasn't the case. The guy disagreed to which Tarintino said he has this opinion because he read Polanski's book and what was said in the book to him seems far more plausible.  So basically the people interviewing him hadn't even read this book therefore didnt know as much about the subject as Tarintino so they couldn't really comment.

Also if you listen to it, the interviewers were assholes, the first thing they said was 'so what have you done to make this planet a better place' in a condesending way lol, what a rude question, i would have told him to fuck off then and there. Literally interviewers trying to get reactions out of negatively to make themselves look better. 

Edited by Mrwick

8 hours ago, Macleod said:

No it is not about defending his work. That list I wrote of people defending him are people who explicitly defended Polanski's actions with regard to his conviction. 

That petition was to let Polanski go free of his charges. There are various quotes you can find from people defending him, that infamous Whoopi Goldberg interview where she keeps saying "it wasn't rape rape" being just one.

33 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

No it is not about defending his work. That list I wrote of people defending him are people who explicitly defended Polanski's actions with regard to his conviction. 

That petition was to let Polanski go free of his charges. There are various quotes you can find from people defending him, that infamous Whoopi Goldberg interview where she keeps saying "it wasn't rape rape" being just one.

Or meryl streep's, "He had suffered enough already". Or ewan mcgregor and Armie Hammer, "I am not supporting his past actions by working with him." 

2 hours ago, Mrwick said:

Uma thurman should be blacklisted

This user, Mrwick, has backwards thinking when it comes to topics like this. I just clicked on his profile and his recent posts say that Harvey Weinstein shouldn’t be blacklisted.

But Uma Thurman should

:rolleyes: 

Scary.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

This user, Mrwick, has backwards thinking when it comes to topics like this. I just clicked on his profile and his recent posts say that Harvey Weinstein shouldn’t be blacklisted.

But Uma Thurman should

:rolleyes: 

Scary.

Harvey deserves to be jailed (though i wont believe that there wasnt a few people who slept with him to further their careers). Nassar deserves to be shot and Polanski is just a sick fuck.

Tarintino though? No. And here is my reasoning for Uma. She put out a story which upon first viewing would have people believe Tarintino abused her by spitting on her and choking her to the point of bullying, until you read more resources. Tarintino spat on her because the star who was meant to kept messing it up so he thought it would be better to have him do it once or twice properly instead of endless reshoots of people spitting all over her, seems fair. The choking was FOR THE MOVIE, and he had her permission to do so, it made the scene authentic and she could have said no, he used this same technique in inglorious bastards with the german actress (forgot her name) with no complaints so its clearly not a bullying move towards Uma, as she claimed. 

Then we have the crash, now driving a car was in the script, it wasnt a stunt, it was a simple drive in a straight line. Now if you are going to accept a film role with this in a script and get a paycheck for 24m dollars, you make sure you learn to drive, or dismiss the role if thats too much hassle. 

Tarintino made Uma the star she is today, and now she has put out a story that makes him out to be an asshole for petty film making actions and i think that is ridiculous, so yes i think she should be blacklisted. The guy quite clearly didnt spit on her or choke her because he didnt like her and i think its wrong to make out he did for publishing reasons. Its an absolute joke, people dont realise how good they have it, tarintino could spit in my face all day for that kind of money.

When you have actors like Tom cruise breaking their bones for certain scenes or countless stories of people being punched during filming (accidently) it makes me read this story with a huge eye roll. 

Edited by Mrwick

5 hours ago, Krissykins said:

No course you don't, but its funny how they single out certain people in an effort to bring them down. Very convenient that this audio was "uncovered" shortly after Tarantino gets himself in trouble. What a coincidence! Where was the outrage when Tarantino actually said it back in 2003? Where was Queen Meryl to tell us what's righteous?

Oh that's right she was cheering for Rapist Polanski too.

5 hours ago, Claire of Themyscira said:

Get that hypocrite, boo!

I'm the hypocrite?

10 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

No course you don't, but its funny how they single out certain people in an effort to bring them down. Very convenient that this audio was "uncovered" shortly after Tarantino gets himself in trouble. What a coincidence! Where was the outrage when Tarantino actually said it back in 2003? Where was Queen Meryl to tell us what's righteous?

Reveal hidden contents

I'm the hypocrite?

They’re not singling anyone out. He was the one who said it. He’s the only person involved in his own comments. 

• Like 1