CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

I don't find Tarantino's actions deplorable at all.  And neither does Uma.  He was remorseful about the incident and she even came to him for his help in finding the footage.  As for the spitting scene, as he says, there's a myriad of movies that have spitting scenes.  He went into detail as to how he did it and how he did the choking scene.  Uma never seemed to have a problem with how it was filmed and neither did Krueger when it came to her scene as well.  I frankly don't see anything wrong with Quentin's on set behaviour.  Things go bad sometimes.  Sometimes people make mistakes.  You can't be vilified for things that you didn't do maliciously.  He made a mistake with the crash but not because he was negligent.    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

The 2003 Oscar campign was basically Hollywood prasing Polanski at every opportunity while forgetting  &/or dismissing you know what ...

Different times. They cut him some slack for making a Holocaust movie. Now that doesn't work nor that type of a movie/genre is ever going to be a big player. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

I don't find Tarantino's actions deplorable at all.  And neither does Uma.  He was remorseful about the incident and she even came to him for his help in finding the footage.  As for the spitting scene, as he says, there's a myriad of movies that have spitting scenes.  He went into detail as to how he did it and how he did the choking scene.  Uma never seemed to have a problem with how it was filmed and neither did Krueger when it came to her scene as well.  I frankly don't see anything wrong with Quentin's on set behaviour.  Things go bad sometimes.  Sometimes people make mistakes.  You can't be vilified for things that you didn't do maliciously.  He made a mistake with the crash but not because he was negligent.    

Hmm, that’s not what I got from her NY Times interview. He forced her to get in the car, said that she had to hit 40 miles an hour or he’d “make her do it again”. 

Also, it seems that she fought for 15 years to get it. I don’t think he helped her, he eventually gave in. 

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

what's that got to do with anything? Everyone in hollywood defended Rapist Polanski. The entire place is full of disgusting creeps who care about nothing but money and power.

just watch this standing ovation for Rapist Polanski who couldn't attend the Oscar ceremony when he won best director for the Pianist because he was a fugitive convicted child rapist. Keep an eye out for Meryl Streep, she of the #MeToo#TimesUp bullshit campaign, who is such a big fan of Rapist that she stands up even before Jack Nicholson - the very slime who was complicit in Rapist's crime.

Edited by Tree Billboards
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm, that’s not what I got from her NY Times interview. He forced her to get in the car, said that she had to hit 40 miles an hour or he’d “make her do it again”. 

Also, it seems that she fought for 15 years to get it. I don’t think he helped her, he eventually gave in. 

Then you didn't read the article on Deadline.  Uma, according to the article, never said those things.  Those were from other sources.  And, at the time, they had been working for a year on the film together, plus they had worked on Pulp together.  If his tone was aggressive, then maybe it was because they were friends, not because he was threatening her.  I'll leave a quote from the DL article, which I think you should read.

I start hearing from the production manager, Bennett Walsh, that Uma is trepidatious about doing the driving shot. None of us ever considered it a stunt. It was just driving. None of us looked at it as a stunt. Maybe we should have, but we didn’t. I’m sure when it was brought up to me, that I rolled my eyes and was irritated. But I’m sure I wasn’t in a rage and I wasn’t livid. I didn’t go barging into Uma’s trailer, screaming at her to get into the car. I can imagine maybe rolling my eyes and thinking, we spent all this money taking this stick shift Karmann Ghia and changing the transmission, just for this shot. Anyone who knows Uma knows that going into her trailer, and screaming at her to do something is not the way to get her to do something. That’s a bad tactic and I’d been shooting the movie with her for an entire year by this time. I would never react to her this way.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 2

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

That's not how I interpret it either.  I don't see where she fought with Quentin about it.  It would be through Miramax she would be fighting.  

^^ All this says is that's he's perfectly happy to put people in danger by not being aware of what he's asking, in order to make his shot look the way it wants. And his justification is that he wants it to look the way he wants it.

Same goes with the strangling and the spitting.

It's a movie. It's fake. I -- as an audience member -- don't need him to actually do those things.

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

I'm not defending QT because I'm a huge fan of his, I'm simply saying that his on set behaviour doesn't come across as being monstrous to me.  There's another article that quotes Uma where she says that QT was deeply regretful of the incident.  

http://deadline.com/2018/02/uma-thurman-quentin-tarantino-harvey-weinstein-harassment-kill-bill-car-accident-1202278709/

To me, it just seems like we are living in times where we would rather vilify someone instead of trying to see it from all sides.  It's a film set and things go wrong from time to time.  That means he made a mistake.  I do't think he wanted her to get hurt and he certainly wasn't flippant about her safety.  He did everything he could to make sure the shot was safe.  It went wrong.  

I can only imagine that there are a million stories from a million different film sets where if people chose to, they could find "disturbing behaviour" by the director.....hell, on the set of Texas Chainsaw massacre, Gunnar Hansen ran with a real chainsaw in his hands, chasing after Marilyn Burns, in the dark.  If...IF she chose to get all pissy about that today in 2017, I'm sure we could paint Tobe Hooper as a bastard and people like Chastain and Asia Argento could take to twitter and call his a bastard and say FUCK HOOPER and all that.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, Telehilation said:

^^ All this says is that's he's perfectly happy to put people in danger by not being aware of what he's asking, in order to make his shot look the way it wants. And his justification is that he wants it to look the way he wants it.

Same goes with the strangling and the spitting.

It's a movie. It's fake. I -- as an audience member -- don't need him to actually do those things.

Not true at all.  The spitting and strangling stuff is part of making a movie.  You as an editor of all people should be understanding of this.  How else are you going to get the shot?

It also says in the article that both Uma and Krueger were fine with doing three takes.  They gave their permission.

“The circumstances of this event were negligent to the point of criminality… I do not believe though with malicious intent,” she wrote on Instagram. “Quentin Tarantino was deeply regretful and remains remorseful about this sorry event.”

Thurman said he gave her the footage years later so she could expose it and let it see the light of day. She adds that he gave her the video with “full knowledge it could cause him personal harm.” She said she is “proud of him for doing the right thing and for his courage.”

She goes on to say that the cover-up of the accident is “unforgivable.” She said, “For this I hold Lawrence Bender, E. Bennett Walsh, and the notorious Harvey Weinsteinsolely responsible. They lied, destroyed evidence, and continue to lie about the permanent harm they caused and then chose to suppress.”

1 minute ago, baumer said:

Not true at all.  The spitting and strangling stuff is part of making a movie.  You as an editor of all people should be understanding of this.  How else are you going to get the shot?

It also says in the article that both Uma and Krueger were fine with doing three takes.  They gave their permission.

Wow. I've been reading comments on Twitter saying they were flat out forced into doing so

10 minutes ago, baumer said:

Geez. You fake it the same way you fake everything else about a movie. You mix up some gelatin-ed, water goop and squirt it through a syringe or something. Maybe you don't actually strangle someone because it's just a movie.

When you are an acclaimed writer/producer/director you have total clout over basically anyone and everyone on set. People will agree to things even if they're uncertain or not thrilled about it. That doesn't make it fine. It's not illegal or anything, it's just really uncool.

Edited by Telehilation
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few names you might have heard of, that I could find who came out and explicitly defended Roman Polanski many years after the fact. This is not to speak of people who continued to work with him or people in the video above who celebrated him. Note people such as Asia Argento who claim to be victims of this whole scandal.

Woody Allen (hmm.... K)

Wes Anderson

Asia Argento

Darren Aronofsky

Monica Bellucci

Ethan Coen

Penelope Cruz

Alfonso Cuaron

Alexandre Desplat

Guillermo del Toro

Stephen Frears

Peter Fonda

Harrison Ford

Terry Gilliam

Whoopie Goldberg

Isabelle Huppert

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu

John Landis

David Lynch

Michael Mann

Sam Mendes

Alexandre Payne

Natalie Portman

Salman Rushdie

Martin Scorcese

Meryl Streep

Tilda Swinton

Kristin Scott Thomas

Emma Thompson

Tom Tykwer

So what are you gonna do, boycott all these peoples movies? Never another Wes Anderson or Coen Bros movie? Boycott Star Wars?

It is a tricky one. I am not saying any of these people are right. They are not. I think it is disgusting to defend a rapist. But you have to accept that if you're going to be a consumer of Hollywood, that you're consuming stuff made from predators and creeps. They're like a big gang of sex offenders. Suck it up or boycott all American entertainment, I guess. Sad to think about really. :(