CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

so Tom Cruise was obviously in talks for the Brad Pitt part and it seems that mostly seems to be for the meta "haha he does his own stunts" thing? cos after seeing the movie it's pretty clear to me Cruise would've been way better suited for the Leo part, he would've crushed it. him and leo are always playing guys on edge is the thing, they're rarely chill like Pitt's character is. Pitt was perfect for his role, one of his best performances.

23 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

so Tom Cruise was obviously in talks for the Brad Pitt part and it seems that mostly seems to be for the meta "haha he does his own stunts" thing? cos after seeing the movie it's pretty clear to me Cruise would've been way better suited for the Leo part, he would've crushed it. him and leo are always playing guys on edge is the thing, they're rarely chill like Pitt's character is. Pitt was perfect for his role, one of his best performances.

Yeah, Pitt was so great in this. Cliff's got the kind of California bro vibe that I can't see Cruise having. This probably would have made less with Cruise over DiCaprio though.

Maybe it's just the roles he's been playing over the last decade-plus but it's hard for me to imagine today's Cruise doing anxious and insecure and vulnerable. (That he's nearly 60 doesn't help, even if he doesn't look it.) Leo was a great fit for this too, honestly after two viewings I feel stronger about him than about Pitt just because there's greater range involved. Pitt's exactly right and perfectly solid but he's done more impressive work over the years. 

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Maybe it's just the roles he's been playing over the last decade-plus but it's hard for me to imagine today's Cruise doing anxious and insecure and vulnerable. (That he's nearly 60 doesn't help, even if he doesn't look it.) Leo was a great fit for this too, honestly after two viewings I feel stronger about him than about Pitt just because there's greater range involved. Pitt's exactly right and perfectly solid but he's done more impressive work over the years. 

I think they're equally great in this, but the difference is that it's career-best work for Pitt while DiCaprio was still better in Wolf of Wall Street - which might be why the former's gotten more buzz for the role.

29 minutes ago, TMP said:

Yeah, Pitt was so great in this. Cliff's got the kind of California bro vibe that I can't see Cruise having. This probably would have made less with Cruise over DiCaprio though.

i'm just saying i was whining about it at the time but tom cruise turning this down to do... top gun 2 is a fine move in retrospect.

2 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i'm just saying i was whining about it at the time but tom cruise turning this down to do... top gun 2 is a fine move in retrospect.

Tarantino did say he liked meeting with Cruise, and fuck it's been too long since Magnolia, so I hope he gets cast in his 10th feature. Mission 8 would have wrapped by then too.

Just now, TMP said:

Tarantino did say he liked meeting with Cruise, and fuck it's been too long since Magnolia, so I hope he gets cast in his 10th feature. Mission 8 would have wrapped by then too.

yeah i'd love to see TC play a star trek villain.

dicaprio and pitt is definitely a study in an actor that likes to show you the work vs an actor whose best performances make it look easy. i always like fun leo tho. he's good in this but this isn't going to be one of his iconic roles. it honestly might be for pitt when the career's rapping up and the retrospectives are coming in.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

dicaprio and pitt is definitely a study in an actor that likes to show you the work vs an actor whose best performances make it look easy. i always like fun leo tho. he's good in this but this isn't going to be one of his iconic roles. it honestly might be for pitt when the career's rapping up and the retrospectives are coming in.

Does Pitt have enough juice to win best supporting actor for this? Pacino is probably the only other lock I can think of, along with DaFoe for one of the 16 films he has out this fall.

Just now, TMP said:

Does Pitt have enough juice to win best supporting actor for this? Pacino is probably the only other lock I can think of, along with DaFoe for one of the 16 films he has out this fall.

Bro I don’t know it’s August. Pacino is locked for what? The trailer for The Irishman? Wait until a review comes in at least. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TMP said:

I think they're equally great in this, but the difference is that it's career-best work for Pitt while DiCaprio was still better in Wolf of Wall Street - which might be why the former's gotten more buzz for the role.

Well, that's the thing. Leo was better in Wolf and... that's it, really. (Though I still haven't seen Gilbert Grape.) Pitt was as good or better in, just off the top of my head, The Tree of Life, Snatch, Fight Club, 12 Monkeys, Burn After Reading, The Assassination of Jesse James, even True Romance and Seven. This is him embodying his default Pitt persona but just with more danger and a little more age showing itself. Nothing that revelatory to it. (Though for sure there is an iconic quality to it and maybe that's part of what people are responding to.)

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TMP said:

Pitt, Pacino, DaFoe, Oldman, and Chalamet seem like likely noms and Pitt seems like the most likely to win.

20 minutes ago, TMP said:

Pitt's given out a lot of roles with a lot more range if you ask me. Cliff was an amazing performance but he was playing a modern day cowboy for almost the entire movie though. 

• Like 1

The only Pitt performance I liked better was Moneyball. That this and Jesse James are the top 3. I don’t really have much affection for any of his performances before like, 2007 tbh. That’s when he got good.

Edited by CoolioD1