CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

6 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I am pretty sure penty of directors don't want to hear a about Tom Cruise because of his religion.

Especially the tolerant new generation.

i think maybe, i'm sure there's plenty of directors who'd love to work with him (tarantino included) but TC's at least partially to blame. he just sticks with "his guys" these days. Liman, McQuarrie, the Tron guy. i just think he wants the buck to stop with him on everything he does now, he's not interested in handing himself over to a director the way some guys do. i think the last time he did that was probs tropic thunder.  the bad PR has made him very protective in that way.

Edited by CoolioD1

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Leo keeps taking these long ass breaks. 4 years between Revenant & OUATIH. Killer of the Flower Moon might not be ready until 2022 knowing Marty's extensive editing process. Still don't know why he said no to PTA but yes to Del Toro, that performance would have probably topped Wolf considering how often PTA gets career-best work from his actors.

Leo's not doing the del Toro movie, either, it's going to be Bradley Cooper (who is seemingly trying out some...interesting facial hair at the moment, ahead of filming). Ultimately DiCaprio turned down chances to work with PTA and GdT, not sure how much the order matters.

Generally though, I agree it would be nice if Leo worked more in general. Personally, I would love to see him in something that, on paper, started out with zero hopes of being a Best Picture contender. I don't mean "DiCaprio must join the MCU!", more like, surprise us and star in something like A Quiet Place (a grown up horror/thriller), play a Bond villain, or reunite with Kate Winslet again but in something lighthearted. Stars who know their strengths are smart, but I just feel that all kinds of films can be well-made and enjoyable and end up being remembered in the long run. The "important" or "worthy" movies that contend for Oscars, the sorts of projects that Leo makes almost exclusively now, aren't always the ones that are rewatched or loved years down the line.

And to talk about OUATIH, I can't picture the Cruise of today in either lead role, maybe up to Collateral or so, when he wasn't as caught up in being Tom Terrific at all times.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Leo's not doing the del Toro movie, either, it's going to be Bradley Cooper (who is seemingly trying out some...interesting facial hair at the moment, ahead of filming). Ultimately DiCaprio turned down chances to work with PTA and GdT, not sure how much the order matters.

Is the PTA thing confirmed that he was offered and passed? I thought it's still in the rumour phase, nothing official. 

Just now, Joel M said:

Is the PTA thing confirmed that he was offered and passed? I thought it's still in the rumour phase, nothing official. 

The guy from Hollywood Reporter said that Leo passed on scripts from PTA and Iñaritu, so it sounded pretty official.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Viktor Vilotijevic said:

I guess it will end up with 133-135 million $ in the US when it's all said and done, which is good. Around 180 million $ overseas as well

not bad for a movie some people on here said was only for a niche audience. pretty big niche!

On 8/24/2019 at 5:14 PM, The Futurist said:

I am pretty sure penty of directors don't want to hear a about Tom Cruise because of his religion.

Especially the tolerant new generation.

We're supposed to tolerate a proven cult that provably murders people?

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I'm honestly surprised and very relieved by how well this has done. Not that I expect any lessons will be learned. 

True, really not sure what the lessons could be ? Next time all the studio are making offer to be in the Tarantino-DiCaprio-Pitt project try to win the bid more ? (There a limit when it stop being profitable and Sony must have been really close to it)

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Barnack said:

True, really not sure what the lessons could be ? Next time all the studio are making offer to be in the Tarantino-DiCaprio-Pitt project try to win the bid more ? (There a limit when it stop being profitable and Sony must have been really close to it)

Mostly that unconventional auteur projects with highly specific subject matter made by people who know what they're doing can find success in theaters (and even easily outgross some wannabe blockbusters with much bigger budgets) and need and deserve to have the studios' trust and resources. Which is not to say that all or even most of them are gonna make hundreds of millions worldwide, but then they don't all need to cost nearly as much as this did either. 

First Man last year sounded no less commercially appealing than this on paper and that ended up flopping a bit. Truth be told is that you can't always predict what will connect and what won't until the movie is actually out there.

Edited by filmlover