CoolioD1

Once Upon a Time in... Hollywood | July 26 2019 | Digital Foot Technology | RIP Cinerama Dome

45 minutes ago, VENOM said:

I dare a Chinese film studio to make a movie making fun of China to see if it knocks a sense of humour into the people making these bans.

Last year Christopher Robin was banned b/c President Xi Jinping had been mocked for his Winnie The Pooh shape - and that was before China escalated film censorship.

But they've banned far more Chinese films than foreign ones - far more.

One major Chinese studio saw two of it's most expensive high profile and /or well reviewed movies be removed from the schedule this summer.  Devastating since they can't release them elsewhere.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Last year Christopher Robin was banned b/c President Xi Jinping had been mocked for his Winnie The Pooh shape - and that was before China escalated film censorship.

One major Chinese studio saw two of it's most expensive high profile and /or well reviewed movies be removed from the schedule this summer.  Devastating since they can't release them elsewhere.

China is going to ban the world because it can’t take a joke. Joker doesn’t even need China and it’s looking like it will crack a billion. Chinese movie studios should move out of this bubble

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

classic Tarantino! That Bruce Lee scene was hilarious  

Edited by VENOM
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 9:50 PM, TalismanRing said:

What did these two movies have that made them so controversial?

On 10/18/2019 at 8:58 PM, TalismanRing said:

Considering the production cost and the big % back end deals it needs all the money it can get even at a 23% cut of the B.O.

Are we still clinging on that speculative article from 3 months ago? They only thing that is actually confirmed as far as I know is that Tarantino secured OUATIH's copyright ownership after X years. All the other stuff are tales straight out of Deadline's ass.

I'm sure it's the first movie in history that struggled to make a buck despite grossing 4x its budget already.

Edited by Joel M
  • Thanks 1

That scene - the whole thing, including "Fair enough..." was probably my favorite, even more than the ending, so I'm really happy he's taken a stand. Fuck those censors, especially for bullshit reasons like this.

It's an interesting case, though, as I expect that in Trump's second term all copies of Willy Wonka to be destroyed and the movie banned, as Oompa Loompas would be too reminiscent of the leader.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Joel M said:

Are we still clinging on that speculative article from 3 months ago? They only thing that is actually confirmed as far as I know is that Tarantino secured OUATIH's copyright ownership after X years. All the other stuff are tales straight out of Deadline's ass.

I'm sure it's the first movie in history that struggled to make a buck despite grossing 4x its budget already.

You think Tarantino, Leo and Pitt aren't getting back end %s after the later two taking pay cuts to make this movie?  Seriously?

• Like 1

The scene was so disrespectful. Fuck Tarantino. It's easy to say it's your favorite scene if it doesn't affect you. i bet you laughed at the scene. Good for Lee's family for taking a stand. I'm on China's side. Trash movie anyway

• ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 3

17 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

You think Tarantino, Leo and Pitt aren't getting back end %s after the later two taking pay cuts to make this movie?  Seriously?

Ofc, I don't know how much or when it kicks in but I assume they have some kind of backend.

But you said the movie will need all the money it can get to make some profit because of back end deals, a movie that already made 4x its budget. I just assumed you took as a fact that article from July that said Tarantino gets 25% of the movies boxoffice before even the theatres get their cut and the movie needs half a billion dollars just to get on the green. Because this ain't fact. Until we get any kind of confirmation I call major bullshit on those numbers.

11 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Ofc, I don't know how much or when it kicks in but I assume they have some kind of backend.

But you said the movie will need all the money it can get to make some profit because of back end deals, a movie that already made 4x its budget. I just assumed you took as a fact that article from July that said Tarantino gets 25% of the movies boxoffice before even the theatres get their cut and the movie needs half a billion dollars just to get on the green. Because this ain't fact. Until we get any kind of confirmation I call major bullshit on those numbers.

I'd definitely be very interested to see the actual details, but doubt we will, unless there's another leak.

Personally, I feel it's doubtful that he'd get final cut, to the extent where he can tell China to fuck off AND a gross participation deal that high. Net profit participation? Sure. But I don't see how ANY studio would agree a 25% gross participation for this kind of movie. It's not a James Cameron action extravaganza, after all...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

But I don't see how ANY studio would agree a 25% gross participation for this kind of movie. It's not a James Cameron action extravaganza, after all...

That's really the most baffling thing about this rumour. Post-Titanic glory Cameron DID NOT get that deal with Avatar. Cameron made hundreds of millions including ancillary market etc but he didn't make 500m+ from Avatar's theatre run alone. If this Tarantino backend rumour is true in any sense, whoever singed for it at Sony should have been fired well before the movie hit theatres.