WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

24 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

The big jump in sales shows that this isn't a movie where presales are huge. SMH had presales on par with WW yet opened to 13M more thanks to walkups.

But you said a huge jump in pre-sales (Presales went up over 70%) is showing that it isn't a movie with huge pressales.

Isn't how much a movie a walkup movie: (box office - presales) / box office

What you seem to be talking about is not being frontloaded.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

I might be in the top .1%.  My final 2016 count will be 130.  My final 2017 count is estimated to be around 160.

I feel special and I also feel like I don't have a life at the same time.  it's a weird feeling.

Well if it makes you feel better this is probably correct.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

I was simply saying compelling, interesting and emotional stories can be told in a fraction of the length of a regular TV season.

Compelling, interesting, and emotional stories can be told for a fraction of the length of a movie as well. ;) 

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Good thing I lowered it to a B+ on a rewatch :sparta: 

That is definitely a casual thing to do, get blinded by the hype and then lower it once you realize you were fooling yourself

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

True, I thought even something like Stranger Things would have worked better with 6 episodes. It is a problem with modern day TV/streaming/etc. that they try to force everything into a 10/13 episode structure when it doesn't need it. But that's less to do with syndication as was stated in the original post.

I agree with this (although I thought Stranger Things was about the right length), it's why I wasn't really complaining when GoT announced seasons 7/8 were going to be shortened seasons.  It meant they realized they couldn't tell the story they had left in a forced 10 episode arc (or two of them) and needed something in-between.  Season 5 was its weakest season because they were attempting to tell maybe a 7-episode season in 10, the rest fit fairly well.

Same with a show like Breaking Bad varying a few of their seasons in length for the right amount of time to tell their story (and season 3 was the weakest, imo, because it felt like it was trying to force the 13 episode arc, while the others didn't).

• Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

Tracking was poiting at a 50-60M OW. Anything above that is a Tomato Law victory. The movie is amazing.

CJOHN HAS ARBITRARILY SET THE BAR FOR SUCCESS. THE LAW HAS SPOKEN

• Like 11

Just now, Telemachos said:

Compelling, interesting, and emotional stories can be told for a fraction of the length of a movie as well. ;) 

Compelling, interesting, and emotional stories can be told for a fraction of the length of a...short film as well! ;)

(The Arrival of a Train at La Ciotat Station comes to mind)

• Like 1

I will say this... If I binge a television show, I probably only find it passable or like but don't love it. If I see something that I love, I'll take in an episode a day or every day to because I'll feel what I've seen is awesome enough to mull over for 24 to 48 hours before diving into the next chapter. Binge worthy to me simply means respectable fast food. Heavy consumption in a short period time with little digestion required.

• Like 3

Just now, That One Guy said:

I was simply saying compelling, interesting and emotional stories can be told in a fraction of the length of a regular TV season.

Sure, but compelling, interesting and emotional stories can require to be told over much longer than the length of an average film. Efficiency isn't the end all, be all, even if it is an important quality. Things like character development, side-plots, and the like are generally done much better in TV shows since they have the luxury of time, which can add up to a richer experience overall. Doesn't mean film and/or TV is better than the other, but I feel like locking in saying one is better ignores the relative strengths and weaknesses of each in telling a story (which is the ultimate goal of both mediums).

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

That's true, but compelling, interesting and emotional stories can be told at any length.  I've read short stories that were stirring, and then you can have long sprawling stories that are incredibly effective.  It depends on the story you're trying to tell.

• Like 6

the list of weekend, in which 2 movies or more grossed more than $50m(include some near $50m grosser as it grossed near $50m in a congested weekend)

Dec. 25–27, 2009: Avatar $75.6m, Sherlock Holmes $62.3m, alvin and chipmunks $48.9m(close enough to be included)

Jun. 19–21, 2015: Jurassic World $106.6m, Inside out $90.4m

June 26-28, 2015: Jurassic World $54.5m, Inside out $52.3m

Jun. 21–23, 2013: Monster Uni $82.4m, World War Z $66,4m

May 25–27, 2007: POTC 3 $114.7m, Shrek 3 $53m

June 27-29, 2008: Wall E $63.1m, Wanted $50.9m

Nov. 29–Dec. 1, 2013: HG 2 $74.2m, Frozen $67.4m

May 28-30, 2004: Shrek 2 $72.2m, The day after Tmr, $68.7m

May 10-12, 2013: Iron man 3 $72.5m, the great gatsby $50.1m

May 27-29, 2005: Star wars 3 $55.2m, the longest yard $47,6m, madagascar $47.2m(notable mention as number 2 and 3 were close in $50m in 2005) 

May 15-17, 2015: Pitch perfect 2 $69.2m, Mad Max $45.5m(close enough to be a notable mention)

July 22-24, 2011: Cap America 1 $65.1m, Harry Potter 7.2 $47.4m (close enough to be notable mentiom)

From the list it shows that it's rare to have 2 $50m grosser in a weekend, and even there was, one of them being an animation and another was live action.

It's easier to have a single movie to have break out to $150m alone than two movies both grossed more than $50m, as evidenced by the fact that 15 movies has made $150m opening weekend, but only 9 pairs of $50m grosser.

It only happened twice as 2 live action film grossed more than $50m as bold. I'm kind of wish this weekend, SMH and Apes could join the list, apparently it's going to fall short.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

So, with the preview number, what are people here expecting for a OD for War? $28M+?

I was hoping it would do at least $7m, $5M is good but not great. Originally I had it peg at $70M+ OW, now I doubt it if it would make that.

with the $5M, Im think around $61-$63M OW.  (26 OD)

Edited by Subzero

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Tracking was poiting at a 50-60M OW. Anything above that is a Tomato Law victory. The movie is amazing.

But that tracking was when the Tomatometer was already set in stone :ph34r: