WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

The only good thing to come out of Dark Tower bombing is the Internet shutting the ever-living-fuck-up about Idris Elba. Sure I like him too. But the hyperbole on him is astounding. Fan-casting him for every major action role based on... what again? He's not the mega-star in the making the Internet swears he is. 

1 minute ago, AndyChrono said:

It's possible that too many fanboys jumped the gun on SMH word of mouth because there are 50 shades of "liking" a movie. There's a difference between liking a movie, loving a movie, really loving a movie, and loving it enough to buy tickets for your friends/family so that you can see it again along with them. That RT audience score of "91% liked it!" includes that entire spectrum, and we don't know the breakdown among the groups so to speak. It's very possible that the vast majority of those folks liked it or loved it, maybe even REALLY loved it... but not enough to buy tickets for their friends and family if it came down to it. Talk is cheap after all, and tickets these days are expensive!

Just as personal anecdote, I saw SMH and merely liked it. I recommended to friends and family to watch it if they have time/money or if they are big fans of Spidey/MCU. On the other hand, after I saw WW I bought 4 tickets for my whole family to watch it in Dolby ATMOS the very next day (and I went back solo a couple more times as well).

Who buys tickets to force someone to watch something? 

• Like 1

The only reason I might not want The Dark Tower to flop is because if it does, the racists are going to come out and start bragging about how "right" they were that Idris Elba should never have been Roland because Elba is black.

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Not turning this into Marvel vs. DC because I couldn't care less about that shit but let's look at what I'd call a similar comparison.   Batman/Superman was a DC team up movie and it featured their two most popular along with a cameo from WW.   

Spider-Man Homecoming features the two biggest Marvel characters plus a cameo from another popular character, won't spoil it of course.   

Now to the numbers.   

Batman/Superman did $320M+  and $873M  WW.  

Spider-Man Homecoming is on pace for about the same.  

A lot of people called the first one "very disappointing"  

What's fair is fair.  I'm not saying either are disappointing,  I'm saying it's a similar scenario,  now lets see if it's treated as such. 

Similar scenario?

With a $50M lower opening?

:wintf:

Bro this is definitely not a similar scenario. Like, not in the same ballpark.

I'm only contributing to this discussion because Spider-Man: Homecoming numbers makes this on-topic by the way, I don't wanna spark some heavy marvel vs dc debate

The differences in opening sizes between the 2 movies makes them hardly comparable, imo. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

The only reason I might not want The Dark Tower to flop is because if it does, the racists are going to come out and start bragging about how "right" they were that Idris Elba should never have been Roland because Elba is black.

Like success has stopped them from being racists before.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

The only good thing to come out of Dark Tower bombing is the Internet shutting the ever-living-fuck-up about Idris Elba. Sure I like him too. But the hyperbole on him is astounding. Fan-casting him for every major action role based on... what again? He's not the mega-star in the making the Internet swears he is. 

I agree, I like him but fan casting him for everything got annoying years ago. I too don't see him ever breaking out the way people want him to.