WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

12 minutes ago, baumer said:

The second weekend drop for Spidey isn't great but it's not unheard of either.  It looks to drop about 60% for the weekend which is pretty close to what Civil War (59.5%), IM3 (58.4%) and Age of Ultron did (59.4%)  

This table is a good example of why Spidey is doing well : July Weekdays. Using a 61.5% drop (45 weekend), take a look at the 10-day-multipliers of those 3 films and Spidey.

Spidey is well ahead in legs after 10 days despite a slightly bigger drop of 61.5% compared to 58.4-59.5% of the other 3 films.

Movie   OW      Cume   10-day-multi

SMH     117.0    208.1     1.78x

CW       179.1    296.0     1.65x

TA2      191.3    313.4     1.64x

IM3      174.1    284.9     1.64x

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 7

And for the record, Sam Raimi's depiction of New Yorkers was pretty condescending.

It's like painting corny carictures of New Yorkers while pointing out how stupid he thought comics were.

I view the Raimi movies the Batman Forever's of Spider-man movies.

Way too corny. That's the reason he couldn't do the Venom origin.

His tone was stuck in the Patty Duke and Lassie era.

SMH updated the innocent and naivete of Peter Parker for our modern age.

It's also a love letter to millennials, nerds, New Yorkers, and blue collar families without talking down to them.

• Like 4

Just now, grey ghost said:

And for the record, Sam Raimi's depiction of New Yorkers was pretty condescending.

It's like painting corny carictures of New Yorkers while pointing out how stupid he thought comics were.

It's also a love letter to millennials, nerds, New Yorkers, and blue collar families without talking down to them.

you almost went a whole thread with spider-man discussion without whining about sam raimi. i was about to be so proud of you.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

We're sure you loved them until the newer films came along and throwing the original films under a bus was then considered "cool."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, teardropmina said:

and I'm in a boxoffice forum, so it doesn't matter if you think it's legit terrible.

Come now, slagging off bad movies is half the fun of this place. A box office mind cannot be nourished by numbers alone.

3 hours ago, PPZVGOS said:

Am I the only one who thought that Apes 2 was stale and a bit ludicrous? (I just can't accept the concept of intelligent apes) 

You mean you can't accept yourself ?

:thinking:

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

This table is a good example of why Spidey is doing well : July Weekdays. Using a 61.5% drop (45 weekend), take a look at the 10-day-multipliers of those 3 films and Spidey.

Spidey is well ahead in legs after 10 days despite a slightly bigger drop of 61.5% compared to 58.4-59.5% of the other 3 films.

Movie   OW      Cume   10-day-multi

SMH     117.0    208.1     1.78x

CW       179.1    296.0     1.65x

TA2      191.3    313.4     1.64x

IM3      174.1    284.9     1.64x

I'm glad you brought this up.  I've mentioned this kind of thing in the past.  People are quick to dismiss it but it's absolutely valid.  Films are likely to have bigger second weekend drops in the summer as opposed to non summer simply because the stronger weekdays have burned off more demand.  Thanks for posting the table.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Except "nerd" itself has long been considered an insulting word. So not sure what you're getting at here.

Nerd is no longer an insult.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Make yourself comfortable.

• Like 1

I don't get why some feel the need to go back and rag on the original Spider-man films.  The first two are brilliant and Maguire's turn as Parker was terrific.  Revisionist history at its finest here @grey ghost

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Look at who's president.

The people who tried to stop mainstream racism were right.

When you normalize racism/sexism/homophobia it takes the world backwards in many ways.

Do you mean "address" or "speak out on" rather than "normalise"? 

After the ASM2 fiasco that yet another reboot of Spidey and the 6th film in so many years is on track for 305-310 at least = Major props to MCU

Not to mention that the sequel is expected to do big too due to positive reception. A major hurdle that ASM1 itself could not overcome, never mind ASM2.

• Like 1

Just now, baumer said:

I don't get why some feel the need to go back and rag on the original Spider-man films.  The first two are brilliant and Maguire's turn as Parker was terrific.  Revisionist history at its finest here @grey ghost

I dunno how to explain it.

Imagine if the majority thought Batman Forever and Burton's Planet of the Apes were the definitive versions.

That's how I feel about the majority treating the Raimi SM films like masterpieces.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

After the ASM2 fiasco that yet another reboot of Spidey and the 6th film in so many years is on track for 305-310 at least = Major props to MCU

Not to mention that the sequel is expected to do big too due to positive reception. A major hurdle that ASM1 itself could not overcome, never mind ASM2.

And if you include os total, it become even better.

• Like 2