WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

I don't think Disney's moving anything. Ragnarok will make a killing before Justice League. Take a major hit with the release of Justice League but then hold rather well after initial hit over the Thanksgiving holiday week.

You do realize Thor have schools days to deal with right?

Then after dealing with two weeks of school days The film then hav to deal with JL and then 5 days after JL opens there's Co-Co.

Theres so much pressure on Thors Opening Weekend as it will almost have to have something over 120mil Weekend.

Not too mention all the other Christmas films that will come out as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Sunrise is my favorite movie like ever. But nah. Sunset is not good. And Midnight is good but fails to leave the impact of Sunrise. It never needed to be a trilogy. Sunrise was good enough

It's my favorite one, just about edges Midnight out.

I advice you to come back and watch it again in 10 years and let me know if you still dislike it. I doubt you'll still dislike it then as I'm pretty sure you'll be able to relate to it a lot more.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cochofles said:

If I owned a comic book store and my employees were openly discouraging customers from attending a CBM (any CBM), I would seriously have a talk with them. 

CBMs are potential sales boosters for comic stores, and if I owned one, I don't care if the CBM got a 0% on RT, I would cross-promote the heck out of whatever property that is so we could sell some comics.

The flip-side of that is I'd think very badly of a sales clerk telling me to see a movie they knew to be bad, to the point where I'd think twice about shopping there.

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Disney likes to kick off holidays, I mean worse case scenario they'll put in Thor and Coco double features to help and does $240M domestic. However Thor has family competition in The Star and Daddy's Home 2 the next weekend but It'll probably drop around 50% due to Veterans Day helping it. I think the weekend of JL it'll drop 55%-60% like other November movies against the big mid November tentpole. But I wonder if it'll drop 65% though.

I know they like to kick off the holidays but it would have made more sense to put Co-Co in that spot rather than a big budget film like Thor .

I hate to say it but I feel the film legs could get cut short due to the later competition

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Then after dealing with two weeks of school days The film then hav to deal with JL and then 5 days after JL opens there's Co-Co.

Theres so much pressure on Thors Opening Weekend as it will almost have to have something over 120mil Weekend.

School days aren't to much of an issue just ask Strange. Thor can rebound since Disney will likely put in double screenings for it with Coco. But the screen loss thing might be an issue due to 9 wide releases. In fact a lot of November films may suffer from that some losing a lot screens while others are leaving theaters entirely.

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I know they like to kick off the holidays but it would have made more sense to put Co-Co in that spot rather than a big budget film like Thor .

I hate to say it but I feel the film legs could get cut short due to the later competition

Having an Disney animated movie in Thanksgiving is their tradition now, recently they like to have a November kicker (next year is Nutcracker and the year after an untitled fairy tale) a holiday family movie (WIR2 next year, Frozen 2 in 2019, and Gigantic in 2020) and a holiday sweeper (2018 is Mary Poppins, 2019 might be Episode IX and an additional film, and 2020 has an untitled film too if I am correct). Moana, Frozen, and TS2 did $80M+ during the holiday stretch. Even TGD did $55M+. I'm expecting 2.3x to 2.5x legs for Thor 3.

4 minutes ago, YourMother said:

School days aren't to much of an issue just ask Strange. Thor can rebound since Disney will likely put in double screenings for it with Coco. But the screen loss thing might be an issue due to 9 wide releases. In fact a lot of November films may suffer from that some losing a lot screens while others are leaving theaters entirely.

Doctor Strange didn't face a film that targets the same auidiance and also has a chance t be an 170+ opener.

10 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

I'm looking directly at how Doctor Strange and The Dark Word performed. MCU flicks are frontloaded now regardless. If Dark World wasn't a dud, it would've done around $225M+ instead of $206M+($219M DOM adjusted for inflation). Doctor Strange did $230M+. Ragnarok will likely opened about $20M+ bigger than both and do about $250M+ DOM. Both Dark World and Strange did very, very well OS. I see no real issue here.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

Having an Disney animated movie in Thanksgiving is their tradition now, recently they like to have a November kicker (next year is Nutcracker and the year after an untitled fairy tale) a holiday family movie (WIR2 next year, Frozen 2 in 2019, and Gigantic in 2020) and a holiday sweeper (2018 is Mary Poppins, 2019 might be Episode IX and an additional film, and 2020 has an untitled film too if I am correct). Moana, Frozen, and TS2 did $80M+ during the holiday stretch. Even TGD did $55M+. I'm expecting 2.3x to 2.5x legs for Thor 3.

Which is why I said so much pressure is on Thors opening.

• Like 1

Just now, Brainiac5 said:

Doctor Strange didn't face a film that targets the same auidiance and also has a chance t be an 170+ opener.

Thor 2 would be a solid comparison though since CF did near $160M on its OW but that was way more female skewing than most CBMs. This is true though.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'm looking directly at how Doctor Strange and The Dark Word performed. MCU flicks are frontloaded now regardless. If Dark World wasn't a dud, it would've done around $225M+. Doctor Strange did $230M+. Ragnarok will likely opened about $20M+ bigger than both and do about $250M+ DOM. Both Dark World and Strange did very, very well OS. I see no real issue here.

None of these films had a film open in the same month that targets the same audience

Which is why I said so much pressure is on Thors opening.

Even then I think Disney would be happy with a $100M/$230M/$700M-$725M performance considering people's mixed feelings about the past two.

Edited by YourMother

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Thor 2 would be a solid comparison though since CF did near $160M on its OW but that was way more female skewing than most CBMs. This is true though.

I don't want to get a fanboy war charge on here but Thor is my favorite of the Marvel series.

Im just upset that he doesn't have a favorable release date as Marvel pushed Spider-Man more than Thor for the Sony deal.

Thor 3 Should've been a August release since its considered the weakest in the MCU 

• Like 1

None of these films had a film open in the same month that targets the same audience

Luckily Rangarok opens a week earlier OS. But this is interesting too. I mean we never had two CBMs in such a close timeframe which could be problematic. I'm curious if we'll have some fatigue in the summer since IW, Deadpool 2, TI2, and AMATW open in a 2-4 week timeframe for each. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Dark World had to face Catching Fire, $167M+ OW DOM adjusted for inflation. And, again, if it wasn't a dud - generally considered one of the least liked MCU films by casual moviegoers - it would've easily grossed $225M+ DOM.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

I think people liked the first Thor, it's the sequel that garnered the mixed reaction. I'm not a fan of either of the films but certainly the first film is better than it's messy sequel.

As for the box office, I think Ragarok will do well but not the over the top numbers the hardcore fans will be predicting after it gets a good Rotten Tomatoes score. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

I don't want to get a fanboy war charge on here but Thor is my favorite of the Marvel series.

Im just upset that he doesn't have a favorable release date as Marvel pushed Spider-Man more than Thor for the Sony deal.

Thor 3 Should've been a August release since its considered the weakest in the MCU 

Thor 3 might have done SS numbers to $350M domestically in August and have a relatively leggy run too. But it's too early to judge now. For all we know Disney might fire all canisters and Thor opens like IM2 ($125M+ OW but that's the maximum). Still Thor is at least guaranteed for DS numbers, if Black Panther stayed in November it would have done TIH numbers.

2 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Amazing Spider-man had to compete with TDKR in its third weekend and it got crushed, -70%

ASM also dealt with the Theater shooting too.

• Like 4