WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

I have a question: have we ever had two $100M+ openers in a two week span? (EX. Movie A opens March 2nd and Movie B opens March 16th). Would they effect each other somewhat?

7 minutes ago, YourMother said:

I have a question: have we ever had two $100M+ openers in a two week span? (EX. Movie A opens March 2nd and Movie B opens March 16th). Would they effect each other somewhat?

BvS and Jungle Book? Iron Man and Crystal Skull?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

No those were 3 weeks apart. BvS was March 25th and TJB was April 15th.

Then, I don't believe so. Thinking Jurassic World and Inside Out are the closest to what you're referencing. Pretty sure they were only a week apart too.

Do Ragnarok and Justice League open just two weeks apart? If so, that will be the first time.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

8 minutes ago, YourMother said:

SM3, Shrek3, POTC:Worlds End  -- 5/4/2007, 5/18/2007, 5/25/2007

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Subzero said:

Thanks. I was curious. I thought this November might be the first time it happens with Thor ($100M-$110M) and JL ($150M-$175M).

Edited by YourMother
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Ah, yes. How could I forget! Especially bonkers when considering what those three OW DOM adjust to via inflation today. Didn't Pirates 3 have a soft Thursday OD as well?

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Don't know but November will be the perfect test However I believe the one that's first will naturally be effected.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Thanks. I was curious. I thought this November might be the first time it happens with Thor ($100M-$110M) and JL ($150M-$175M).

Yeah for sure those two...

18 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Yes, Shrek the Third ($121.6M opening) and POTC: At World's End ($114.7M opening) opened back-to-back on May 18th & May 25th, 2007.

Edit: Oops, I was beat to it. :) 

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Brainiac5 said:

Don't know but November will be the perfect test However I believe the one that's first will naturally be effected.

I think Thor will have a hard crash against JL but I was wondering if having two big superhero movies in a two week timespan take away some attention from the other. This may be the first time we've had two huge superhero movies that can open to $100M+, then next year in June it happens again with Deadpool 2 and Incredibles 2. 

• Like 2

2018 is the true test for the superhero genre and CBMs since there will be 10. In summer 2018, From May to July we'll have 4 big superhero movies, with each in a two to three week timespan.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

You mean Ragnarok's overall DOM run and not its OW DOM, no?

Yes ,I wouldn't be surprised if Disney actually move him up a week or two.

I have no clue why Disney insist on keeping Thor at the beginning of November as the film might not even feel the holiday season.

After loookg carefully Thor is actually in a bad spot as JL isn't it's only competition.

21 minutes ago, YourMother said:

JW did 200+ in ow, then when it did 100+ in the 2nd weekend IO did 90+. Even though it doesn't satisfy the criteria of back-to-back 100 openers, it still is a useful example while addressing competition considering both movies pulled 90+ each and 197 combined in the same weekend, nevermind back to back weekends!

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

I have no clue why Disney insist on keeping Thor at the beginning of November as the film might not even feel the holiday season.

After loookg carefully Thor is actually in a bad spot as JL isn't it's only competition.

I don't think Disney's moving anything. Ragnarok will make a killing before Justice League. Take a major hit with the release of Justice League but then hold rather well after initial hit over the Thanksgiving holiday week.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainiac5 said:

Disney likes to kick off holidays, I mean worse case scenario they'll put in Thor and Coco double features to help and does $240M domestic. However Thor has family competition in The Star and Daddy's Home 2 the next weekend but It'll probably drop around 50% due to Veterans Day helping it. I think the weekend of JL it'll drop 55%-60% like other November movies against the big mid November tentpole. But I wonder if it'll drop 65% though.

12 hours ago, Cochofles said:

If I owned a comic book store and my employees were openly discouraging customers from attending a CBM (any CBM), I would seriously have a talk with them. 

CBMs are potential sales boosters for comic stores, and if I owned one, I don't care if the CBM got a 0% on RT, I would cross-promote the heck out of whatever property that is so we could sell some comics.

And if my employees were trying to play at being Roger Ebert and hindering my sales, I would have a serious problem with them.

Gail Simone recently had a twitter thread discussing the fact that comic shop owners have told her that with very few exceptions (most notably Watchmen and Wonder Woman) CBM almost never have any impact on sales at all. They are very puzzled over the phenomenon. Intuition would lead us to think that successful CBM should certainly lead to a spike in comic sales, but it is rarely true.  

• Like 3