WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 150): Apes 56.3M | SMH 44.2M | DM3 19.4M | Baby 8.7M | Big Dick 7.5M | WW 6.8M | Wish Upon 5.5M | Tomatoes losing their power

4 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Just don't see how there is a Dark Tower fanbase big enough to even ensure $20M.

There was apparently a trailer released last week. I literally just found out about it while googling Dark Tower movie. How has Sony dropped the ball this hard on the marketing? First trailer doesn't come till 3 months before release and it feels like they are coasting till the release date now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I will say that I'm starting to feel an underperformance coming in Atomic Blonde. I can't believe the movie is out in 2 weeks! There's almost no buzz for it.

They clearly positioned it after Salt and Lucy but will probably make about half of what they did (so about $55-60M). Probably doesn't help that those who have seen it say that those expecting Charlize Kicking Ass & Having Hot Girl-On-Girl Action for 2 Hours from the marketing are likely to be disappointed.

Just now, That One Guy said:

Yeah, you're right I guess.  Deadpool was an absolute flop.

Too bad I actually pointed out how that was 100% the marketing talking, and how even after Deadpool, he still did more flops. Hence Reynolds didn't open the movie but the character and marketing did. But you were too lazy to read my entire post. Sweet reading skills, yo.

2 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

Which does better? Valerian or The Dark Tower? 

Valerian.  Easy.  Valerian has good reviews and can appeal to people outside of a preexisting fanbase.  Dark Tower will only have a preexisting fanbase and will probably get panned.

Just now, filmnerdjamie said:

Too bad I actually pointed out how that was 100% the marketing talking, and how even after Deadpool, he still did more flops. Hence Reynolds didn't open the movie but the character and marketing did. But you were too lazy to read my entire post. Sweet reading skills, yo.

Sorry I'm really fucking tired right now.  I've gotten a total of 7 hours of sleep in the past 2 days.

8 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I will say that I'm starting to feel an underperformance coming in Atomic Blonde. I can't believe the movie is out in 2 weeks! There's almost no buzz for it.

That's another one where they blew the load too early with very early embargo lift. Same thing with Apes. WB is about to unleash hell on Monday with the end of Dunkirk's embargo. 

1864403c-b2a9-415b-897e-6c717bba3e88_tex

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

What's fair is fair.  I'm not saying either are disappointing,  I'm saying it's a similar scenario,  now lets see if it's treated as such. 

Neither is disappointing, but some people lose all sense of box office perspective when it involves comic book characters (and especially DC).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They clearly positioned it after Salt and Lucy but will probably make about half of what they did (so about $55-60M). Probably doesn't help that those who have seen it say that those expecting Charlize Kicking Ass & Having Hot Girl-On-Girl Action for 2 Hours from the marketing are likely to be disappointed.

Yeah, a common criticism from SXSW is that the story is pretty dull. That hasn't stopped movies from being hits recently, though coughTARZANcough

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Sorry I'm really fucking tired right now.  I've gotten a total of 7 hours of sleep in the past 2 days.

Just go to bed, man. Isn't it like midnight where you are?

2 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

BvS is routinely mocked for not even able to hit a 2.0 multiplier.

So it's a disappointment.

As it should be. It had 3 weeks with very little comp, it's unfathomable that it didn't easily walk to a 2.4-2.5 multiplier based on that alone. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, baumer said:

Maybe Spider-man isn't under performing at all.  Maybe there was just that much of a rush factor to it.  

And don't shoot me for saying this but it's also possible the WOM isn't THAT GREAT.  I know plenty of people here that didn't care for it.  It's not going to be the WOM monster than many thought it would be.  

It's possible that too many fanboys jumped the gun on SMH word of mouth because there are 50 shades of "liking" a movie. There's a difference between liking a movie, loving a movie, really loving a movie, and loving it enough to buy tickets for your friends/family so that you can see it again along with them. That RT audience score of "91% liked it!" includes that entire spectrum, and we don't know the breakdown among the groups so to speak. It's very possible that the vast majority of those folks liked it or loved it, maybe even REALLY loved it... but not enough to buy tickets for their friends and family if it came down to it. Talk is cheap after all, and tickets these days are expensive!

Just as personal anecdote, I saw SMH and merely liked it. I recommended to friends and family to watch it if they have time/money or if they are big fans of Spidey/MCU. On the other hand, after I saw WW I bought 4 tickets for my whole family to watch it in Dolby ATMOS the very next day (and I went back solo a couple more times as well).

• Like 3