CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

@That EddieKaspbrak Guy @kayumanggi Besson's passion flick overseas numbers if any? I know it released in quite a few markets over the weekend.

Forgive me if this has already been answered. Deadline says 6.5 M from 16 markets of which Germany is the only major one. It opened second there behind DESPICABLE ME III which is on its third weekend.

Edit: That number is apparently for this weekend. The total so far is 23.5 M, again as per Deadline.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

blue is the warmest color is one of my favourite examples of how everyone always seems to extend the temporality of movies when watching them at the cinema. every review saying the movie had a giant 20 minute lesbian sex sequence when in reality it's like 7 minutes. this always happens. another good one was a BUNCH of people here saying the dino v. dino fighting at the climax of jurassic world lasted for like 30 minutes when it's under 10.

I remember I read a review for Kingsman that said the church scene was like 10 minutes long.  It's barely even 3.

Is this true?

Meanwhile, it should be noted that Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — with an estimated gross of $596.6M — has now become the highest grossing title of the Pirates franchise internationally for Disney (when looking at all at today’s FX rates), thereby passing Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which grossed $593.4M at current rates. http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

Good for DUNKIRK.

The overall performance of Dunkirk around the world showed a very strong bump from Friday to Saturday which bodes well for the strong word-of-mouth that should accompany this film. http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is this true?

Meanwhile, it should be noted that Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales — with an estimated gross of $596.6M — has now become the highest grossing title of the Pirates franchise internationally for Disney (when looking at all at today’s FX rates), thereby passing Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which grossed $593.4M at current rates. http://deadline.com/2017/07/dunkirk-movie-christopher-nolan-international-box-office-results-opening-weekend-global-1202134249/

PotC4 made 800M OS... with very good exchange rates and a high 3D share. It is possible that is true.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is this true?

It's a huge -- and kinda embarrassing -- dodge. OST grossed 800m in actual, real dollars. AWE grossed 650m in actual, real dollars. DMC did 640m. Adjusting those downwards as if they somehow were released today is a cheap way to make DMTNT look better.

It's not incorrect, but it wildly inflates the sense of how well DMTNT is doing in comparison to the other franchise entries.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Is this true?

Yeah, exchange rates are just garbage right now.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, kayumanggi said:

Forgive me if this has already been answered. Deadline says 6.5 M from 16 markets of which Germany is the only major one. It opened second there behind DESPICABLE ME III which is on its third weekend.

It's worth nothing that the 6.5M is barely from any major markets (still hasn't released in China, France, UK, Australia, Russia, etc.)

10 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

blue is the warmest color is one of my favourite examples of how everyone always seems to extend the temporality of movies when watching them at the cinema. every review saying the movie had a giant 20 minute lesbian sex sequence when in reality it's like 7 minutes. this always happens. another good one was a BUNCH of people here saying the dino v. dino fighting at the climax of jurassic world lasted for like 30 minutes when it's under 10.

You may be the first person who's ever compared BITWC to Jurassic World. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Manager
3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah, exchange rates are just garbage right now.

Thanks Trump!

Wait umm that might offend BKB

Thanks Obama!

Wait that might offend everyone else.

Thanks Carter!

• Haha 3

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wasn't really comparing the two. just two separate examples of the same mental thing. happens with pretty much every movie. that's just the other example that sprung to mind.

Nope now you will be known as the guy who compared JW to Blue is the Warmest Color. 

20 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The competition isn't great either, could see 2-3 weeks at number 1 in the UK. 

Yup, looking it up, there's just a bunch of smaller releases. Doubt any of them take away much from Dunkirk's audience. 

1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

Nope now you will be known as the guy who compared JW to Blue is the Warmest Color. 

The T-Rex sex scene left me on the edge of my seat. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i wasn't really comparing the two. just two separate examples of the same mental thing. happens with pretty much every movie. that's just the other example that sprung to mind.

I do get your point. But if someone sincerely asks whether Blue is suitable for a middle aged viewer then it'd be disingenuous not to bring up the sex. I'd probably also add that it's bloody long. But I liked the movie.

12 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

It's worth nothing that the 6.5M is barely from any major markets (still hasn't released in China, France, UK, Australia, Russia, etc.)

Apart from North America, it released in these countries...apparently it did between 3-3.4 million in Germany. So in remaining markets it did 3-3.1 million which is not much. Should have done atleast 10 million considering Taiwan, Singapore and Hong Kong are Asian markets where such movies open to at least 1 mllion and gross 3+ million if not more. It is an indicator of how it might do in South Korea, Japan and China.

Czech Republic 20 July 2017  
Germany 20 July 2017  
Hungary 20 July 2017  
Israel 20 July 2017  
Cambodia 20 July 2017  
Singapore 20 July 2017  
Bulgaria 21 July 2017  
Canada 21 July 2017  
Hong Kong 21 July 2017  
Romania 21 July 2017  
Taiwan

21 July 2017