CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

1 minute ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, any chance Valerian can pull off the upset and top Apes for #4?  Pulling for That One Guy:)...

Yes. Good chance in my opinion. Already dropping precipitously before Dunkirk and Valerian took direct aim at War's audience. I think War will drop close to 70%.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Better legs than Apes

Better opening than Apes

Chris Pine

Justin Lin

SABOTAGE

tumblr_inline_nzd3uxriN91sypkn8_500.gif  

Lower WW total. It is a flop unlike Apes.

• Like 1

If Girls Trip is a WOM monster like Guru says it is, then with a 25 OW, it should easily cross 75.  

Apes is free falling

SMH is free falling

WW take's it's biggest hit in quite a while but should pass GOTG by Saturday.

Awesome number for Dunkirk.

• Like 1

4.45 Thu for SM, so

7 (+57%)

9.1 (+30%)

6.9 (-24%)

= 23 (-48%) ... would be a rather solid 3rd weekend hold  wouldn't it?

About 253 cume and only adding 2x the weekend more gives 253 + 46 = 299, basically 300 dom.

2x is too conservative especially if it drops sub-50% this weekend. 2.5x gives 253 + 57.5 = 310.5 dom.

I think 305-310 is what it's looking at.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yes. Good chance in my opinion. Already dropping precipitously before Dunkirk and Valerian took direct aim at War's audience. I think War will drop close to 70%.

:sadben:

3 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I think it'll be closer to 60%.

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I don't get Apes' run. I just don't. 

I'm telling...WOM is spreading that you are not in for a good time.....and if people go tell their friends that what they are about to see is not only slow but has images that most people do not want to see, then the terrible drops and wom is not a surprise.  I loved the first two and was horrified with what I saw in the third one....I'll never see it again and I can't recommend it to anyone.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 1

i don't get the insistence that Nolan should do a small scale character piece. he's the spectacle guy. him and cameron are really the only people who get to be the spectacle guy these days. it's clearly what he loves more than anything in filmmaking. i'm cool with him just doing those.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, baumer said:

I'm telling...WOM is spreading that you are not in for a good time.....and if people go tell their friends that what they are about to see is not only slow but has images that most people do not want to see, then the terrible drops and wom is not a surprise.  I loved the first two and was horrified with what I saw in the third one....I'll never see it again and I can't recommend it to anyone.

I also don't think it helps that - aside from the impeccable motion capture on humans playing apes - it's visually not very appealing to the eye. Even Burton's disaster in '01 got some folks in the seats due to the incredible art direction, production design, make up work. Aside from the apes, War is very boring to look at. Well shot and framed but dreary and lacking imagination.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's nothing more horrible in War than there is in Dawn. The only thing I can say about War is that it's a lot lesser on the action than Dawn is (which admittedly contradicts the title).

Edited by cookie

If SM falls "only" 50% this weekend for 22, it's set for a good run in rest of july and aug considering Dunkirk was the last biggie.

Ant-Man fell 47% in 3rd weekend and Minions fell 53%. Falling in the middle is certainly good after last weekend where it fell bigger than both. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

This isn't having a 70% increase today like Dawn did.

Best case scenario, yes it can.  I didn't say it would.  But if you are talking best case, then of course it can.

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

I think it'll be closer to 60%.

Current Pulse and Fandango aren't helping the cause of an only 60% drop...

This movie, unfortunately, is looking like it has "rejected by the GA" all over it...it's pretty much playing solely as a fan movie, like Alien C did...

• Like 1