CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Good for Dunkirk. But, sorry to be the douchebag... but is it really that hard to believe that it'll be frontloaded? Because I think it will be, even if just a little. I'm not sure about 50M yet. Should have a good pair of legs throughout July/August, tho.

Good enough for Valerian too. I thought it was gonna barely make 1M. Granted, it's not that good next to what the movie should be doing, but alas.

I was prepared to rave Girls Trip's number compared to many other comedies this year... and then I was told about the whole "Bad Moms did better". Still, good legs await.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Our Dunkirk WhatsApp chat is titled "The League of Nolan Haters".

:sparta: 

Oh, oh, oh...I want in!

Just now, John Marston said:

Nolan will direct a Bond movie one day. He wants to do it 

I could see him doing it when his career cools a bit. But right now it's safe to say he doesn't need it and it doesn't really need him.

1 minute ago, Jay Hollywood said:

How was the Spectrum IMAX?

I loved it! I was hoping the screen would be bigger. It is about the same size as the one in Minnesota. I assumed everything would be bigger in California. But it looked fantastic! I can't wait for Saturday. Now today I have the day to have fun in LA

• Like 1

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Do you wear glasses?  

Are you thin or a little heavy?

Are you a smart ass?

Are you black or white?

Based on these answers, I'll tell you. :)

-No, but I am 20/50 in one eye

-Neither.  Somewhere in the middle

-At times, yes

-White

2 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I might wait until it is on DVD

After they have sold the movie as "watch it on 70mm imax or you didn't watch it" wonder how the dvds sell? :lol:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Nolan will direct a Bond movie one day. He wants to do it 

he'd be perfect for the last daniel craig bond. they've been cribbing his style for four movies so you might as well bring him in to wrap that up.

3 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Thanks CJ.  I had no idea Apes couldn't talk in real life. 

My point is you....never mind....I don't want t get into spoilers...those who have seen it know exactly what I'm talking about.

:rofl:

I have no idea tbh, but don't spoil it.

• Like 1

Dunkirk is where I think it would be. I dont see the 50$ guaranteed at this point in fact.

Girls Trip may be a bit disappointing. Valerian is less worst than I was thinking...

DUN : 47

GT : 23

VAL : 18

Edited by Bastien

A problem with War/Apes for me was they tried to put more levity in was really transparent and did not fit with the larger story at play; and it dulled the intended impact of the more brutal scenes. I recall there being more of a consistency in tone in Dawn.

Edited by tribefan695

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

-No, but I am 20/50 in one eye

-Neither.  Somewhere in the middle

-At times, yes

-White

Change your name to That EddieKaspbrak Guy....that should fit....if it doesn't then take out Guy :)

Yeah Ive always said that Nolan will keep making these big spectacles as long as they give him money to do so, which at this rate will be a very long time. He loves making movies that force people to go to the cinema to watch them. Plus he's got the clout to get the resources necessary and to have full creative control to fulfill his vision. While getting paid massive amounts of $ to do so. The man has got it made.

17 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nolan is the only director who gets the budget to do the kind of movies he makes and put out large-scale original blockbusters anymore, he should probably keep that up. We have enough guys trying to be Paul Thomas Anderson, and way way too many Jon Watts. Nolan's got his own lane. 

This is my view, if he has a large scale story he want to do, I wish he do that one over other stuff. Or if it does something of smaller case, that he goes Fincher production level on it and still spend 50m below the line.

• Like 1

Just now, Jayhawk said:

Yeah Ive always said that Nolan will keep making these big spectacles as long as they give him money to do so, which at this rate will be a very long time. He loves making movies that force people to go to the cinema to watch them.

:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Change your name to That EddieKaspbrak Guy....that should fit....if it doesn't then take out Guy :)

Well this is fine.

I thought it was gonna be some ruthless name change that said I hated Valerian or some shit but this is pretty tame and I'm cool with that :lol: 

Plus I'm really liking IT so far.

• Like 1

Friend of mine who worked at Spectrum had watched Apes about 5 months ago and his response was "I was exhausted after the movie. The movie was great but exhausting". I am guessing that is the primary response coming through the GA as well. With the news cycle IRL being so exhausting, people are probably just not in the mood for a heavy movie in theaters. Light, breezy and fun with an uplifting ending seem to be the order of the day.

• Like 1

I don't even count James Cameron at this point. I bet money that the dude never does another non-Avatar movie again (not counting deep sea docs and stuff). Nolan comes out every two to three years, Cameron comes out every 12.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

Well this is fine.

I thought it was gonna be some ruthless name change that said I hated Valerian or some shit but this is pretty tame and I'm cool with that :lol: 

Plus I'm really liking IT so far.

Naaa......you're a good sport.....plus I'm loving that you are loving IT....and I like Eddie.....so that's a good name change. :)

• Like 1

Based on his casting choices we know Nolan was a fan of late 90's teen comedy Ten Things I Hate About You.  So he should direct something like that next.

Edited by DAR