CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Long range forecast:

-All I See is You - 6.5/15.6

-American Assassin - 10/25

-Mother! is being held off until a trailer drops

Updated predicts:

-Atomic Blonde down to 26/82.5

-Emoji Movie up to 30/105.5

-Dark Tower down to 33/84

-Detroit predicted added in as 13/31

-Kidnap down to 4/9

http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-see-american-assassin/

• Like 3

Nolan's style still seems like a breath of fresh air among blockbusters. I don't want to sound pretentious but there's something to be said for finding visual splendor in things as they are without having to resort to a lot of CGI and fancy camera tricks the way he does. His movies are probably going to age a lot better than most other current big budget films.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Jayhawk said:

Serious question: Is Nolan the biggest single-name draw in Hollywood right now? (both actors and directors)

Possibly, though it helps that his films usually get strong reviews and WB spends a lot to market his movies as well.

I'm not going to be surprised when Valerian becomes a Speed Racer-esque favorite among the internet in a few years: A sci-fi movie that receives a mixed response upon release yet has a passionate group of fans that defend the movie and make it a cult favorite.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

I'm not going to be surprised when Valerian becomes a Speed Racer-esque favorite among the internet in a few years: A sci-fi movie that receives a mixed response upon release yet has a passionate group of fans that defend the movie and make it a cult favorite.

I think its "cult favorite" status was established the moment filming began.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Girls Trip didn't have a 200mil budget so it's opening should be fine. Valerian opening weekend will be terrible.

But if 96% of its 209M budget was made back from foreign distributor presales, then it really only has an 8.3M budget :).

• Thanks 1

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

But if 96% of its 209M budget was made back from foreign distributor presales, then it really only has an 8.3M budget :).

Because all of those distributors will totally cover a 200M+ budget again next time lmao.

• Like 5

Would be interesting to see, how much came from Imax and 70mm screens for Dunkirk. I still think, that the $5,5m is great, but keeping in mind, that Interstellar did $3,5m in November 3 years ago, I wouldn't bet on a $60m opening for Dunkirk just yet. 

Edited by Poseidon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Because all of those distributors will totally cover a 200M+ budget again next time lmao.

It's coming from the same people who believe that Power Rangers did well because Lionsgate didn't lose money.

• Like 1

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

It's coming from the same people who believe that Power Rangers did well because Lionsgate didn't lose money.

The budget was 209M, but with most of that money made back already and the marketing costs being split among the different distributors, it'll be tough for it to truly "lose" money.  EuropaCorp is only distributing in France I believe, where it'll likely be a hit, so I highly doubt they'll really lose too much.  STX will lose money on marketing if it doesn't do well enough in the US, not Europa (and even then STX will still have A Bad Moms Christmas coming later this year which will probably make back any potential losses Valerian might have)

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

Nolan basically described it as a British film with an American budget.

Well that makes sense. Without Hollywood he probably wouldn't even have the budget he wanted for his war film. 

On one hand I'm a big Besson fan and I hate to see him suffering like this.

On the other hand I'm a big Nolan fan so I'm glad things are looking really good for him.

But I also get two movies I'm highly interested in this weekend. So I guess everything's going to be alright.

tenor.gif

• Like 4