CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Absolutely, and he's so good at making the audiences riveted. Helps that he tries to do everything as realistic as possible, so the audience feels like they're actually there.

I think Nolan should continue with the big scale stuff but a smaller scale film once in a while would be interesting to see. Not micro budget but something like a Bridge of Spies 

3 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, he should just do whatever he believes makes the best movie regardless of budget, scope, etc.

At this point he could walk in to WB offices and say he wants to make the movie "Ass: as seen on Idiocracy" in IMAX 70mm and WB would give him 150M for it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nolan is the only director who gets the budget to do the kind of movies he makes and put out large-scale original blockbusters anymore, he should probably keep that up. We have enough guys trying to be Paul Thomas Anderson, and way way too many Jon Watts. Nolan's got his own lane. 

This is why I hope he keeps making blockbusters while the iron is hot.  Spielberg could do an original screenplay blockbuster but he really does not do that anymore. So Nolan is the only one who does this right now which is so refreshing with non stop superheroes and franchise movies that come out every week

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I mean, he should just do whatever he believes makes the best movie regardless of budget, scope, etc.

True, but I think he likes what he's doing. Dude has it made as a power player, and he's making the kind of movies he was built to make.

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

No. I disagree. WOM is not bad for War. It's just a very, very hard sell to a casual moviegoer. 

If no one is trying to sell this to their casual friends and are actually recommending them away, that's toxic...I mean, it's not as bad as "never see this ever, ever, ever", but if you need to say "if you can't handle this" or "if you're not already an Apes fan" or "if you don't want dreary"...aka, if you make a million reasons why you should only go "if"...that's still toxic, just not catastrophically so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

I'm pretty sure that means ON SET shit with kids and animals.  All of the apes were CGI so evidently they didn't do that

No, that's not what it means.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

If no one is trying to sell this to their casual friends and are actually recommending them away, that's toxic...I mean, it's not as bad as "never see this ever, ever, ever", but if you need to say "if you can't handle this" or "if you're not already an Apes fan" or "if you don't want dreary"...aka, if you make a million reasons why you should only go "if"...that's still toxic, just not catastrophically so...

Perfectly stated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jay Hollywood said:

NOLANS POWER 50m here we come. hahaha I knew that 30-40 talk was cheapppp

Anyways I thought Valerian sucked btw what a chore to sit through. 

I might wait until it is on DVD

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

They used no animals.

Thanks CJ.  I had no idea Apes couldn't talk in real life. 

My point is you....never mind....I don't want t get into spoilers...those who have seen it know exactly what I'm talking about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Nolan should continue with the big scale stuff but a smaller scale film once in a while would be interesting to see. Not micro budget but something like a Bridge of Spies 

Maybe he could another Prestige 60m+ budgeted film. He did start his career out with low-budget fare after all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, That One Guy said:

@Stutterng baumer Denbrough remember that one bet where I said Valerian will make 2.5x Girls Trip OW and that whoever wins gets to customize the other's profile?

What do you want me to change my profile to:sadben: 

Do you wear glasses?  

Are you thin or a little heavy?

Are you a smart ass?

Are you black or white?

Based on these answers, I'll tell you. :)

• Like 1