CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

3 minutes ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

I don't know what DUNKIRK's legs will be. Probably very good compared to usual franchise movies, but I'm not sold on anything well past a 3x... yet

I think 150m total would be a great result. Probably would mean WB at least breaks even, if the OS gross is decent (which it's looking like it's doing so far).

Edited by Jayhawk

6 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Whenever you post about how great Laser and 70mm are, it makes me feel dirty my 1.43 IMAX is Xenon :sadben: 

Laser IMAX is underrated by the film snobs. I've already seen numerous people bitching about dirt on the film print and other problems with 70mm IMAX shows. This is exactly why Laser IMAX is a better option for anyone who has to travel for a true IMAX experience. The odds are a lot higher that you will get a flawless presentation in Laser IMAX than what you might get with 15/70 film presentation. The sound system is also better in Laser IMAX than many of the 15/70 film locations. 

• Like 2

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Laser IMAX is underrated by the film snobs. I've already seen numerous people bitching about dirt on the film print and other problems with 70mm IMAX shows. This is exactly why Laser IMAX is a better option for anyone who has to travel for a true IMAX experience. The odds are a lot higher that you will get a flawless presentation in Laser IMAX than what you might get with 15/70 film presentation. The sound system is also better in Laser IMAX than many of the 15/70 film locations. 

I think I enjoyed it a bit better in 15/70 IMAX (even with some dust on the print) but Laser is a consistently great experience. Just wish it had more 2D showings, even if it does make any 3D watchable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Whenever you post about how great Laser and 70mm are, it makes me feel dirty my 1.43 IMAX is Xenon :sadben: 

Laser IMAX is incredible, I saw Dunkirk today in that format and it's a very close second to IMAX 70mm. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

The sound for Dunkirk really added to the experience combined with the fantastic image quality. Even the ads and trailers looked fantastic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

I think I enjoyed it a bit better in 15/70 IMAX (even with some dust on the print) but Laser is a consistently great experience. Just wish it had more 2D showings, even if it does make any 3D watchable.

Probably my least favourite thing about IMAX. Since Laser is the only one here, it's almost always in 3D. Looking forward to seeing Dunkirk in it though. Last time I saw a 2D film in there would've been the '09 Star Trek.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

Would be nice if IMAX would have more options in the showtimes. Half 3D, half 2D. I think a lot of audiences would like that. I tend to skip IMAX and go for 2D RPX at my local Regal because 99% of the time, it seems a new release in IMAX is 3D only. 

3D issue is no problem on Nolan movies though of course. :lol:

Yeah I saw Dunkirk in 15/70 and I loved the dust on the print.  It helped to capture the fact that war isn't clean.  It's brutal and it's dirty.  I know they didn't intend for there to be dust on the print, and some people will probably be bothered by it should they choose to see it in the format and also get the dust on the film, but I thought it helped in favor of the film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know the likes of Nolan and Tarantino bemoan the death of film projection but TBH having watched 35mm prints of films like The Departed or Goodfellas where they looked a bit crappy, I think digital has its benefits especially as the technology is getting better.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Yeah I saw Dunkirk in 15/70 and I loved the dust on the print.  It helped to capture the fact that war isn't clean.  It's brutal and it's dirty.  I know they didn't intend for there to be dust on the print, and some people will probably be bothered by it should they choose to see it in the format and also get the dust on the film, but I thought it helped in favor of the film.

Dust on the print is minor issue, but I saw a guy complaining earlier that his 15/70 location ran into trouble with the projector. Apparently almost caught on fire. So they ran the digital Xenon copy in 1.9 ratio. He was pretty furious about it. I think he traveled a pretty good distance hoping to have the real IMAX experience and he got 2k LieMAX projection on a giant 1.43 IMAX screen. 

• Like 1