CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

It really is. This is the kind of film that demonstrates why you don't need nine-digit box office openings to be a genuine "event". I'm admittedly as much a Nolan fan as anyone, but I'm extremely glad audiences are turning out to support the film so far. After a summer of misfiring franchises, this is (another) clear message to Hollywood about the kind of ambition and immersive experience we want to see studios take more chances at. For an experimental WWII film to open this high without anything in the way of genuine star power beyond Nolan himself is pretty remarkable.

Yes. lets hope this summer will lead to more Baby Drivers, Dunkirks and less sequels like Pirates

• Like 5

• Founder / Operator
5 minutes ago, Damianport1 said:

Yes. lets hope this summer will lead to more Baby Drivers, Dunkirks and less sequels like Pirates

Baby Driver was incredible too. Glad to see Edgar Wright finally get his just deserts with American audiences.

I'm definitely supportive of franchises as well so long as they support creative visions, ala Apes, Wonder Woman, and Guardians 2. It's odd to think that 2014 and 2017 have delivered some of the better reviewed summer movies recently, yet the overall box office narrative doesn't exactly reflect that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AndyChrono said:

Slightly above average legs IMO.

1. A- Cinemascore is good, but not OMG amazing.

2. Within the span of just a day and half of release, the RT audience score has dropped from over 90%... to below Apes at 86%... and the weekend isn't even over yet.

3. Usually Nolan films hold over 9+ at IMDB for several days because of all his fanboys on there. It's already fallen below 9... and the weekend isn't even over yet.

4. Just a 4 star rating on Fandango

5. Dropping estimates, originally 22M from Asgard, to 20M from Guru, and now its 19.8M. Weekend estimates went from high 50M's and maybe even cracking 60M, now to just low 50M's and its possible it might not even make 50M.

Taken all together, it seems like the Nolan die-hards rushed out on opening day and got sampled by Cinemascore and they gave it an A-. But once the general audience got a crack at the film they didn't seem to like it as much, hence why the aggregated scores over time like RT, Fandango, etc. are consistently dropping. JMO.

Edit: Within the span of my posting this, RT score dropped again to 85%.

I am still not convinced that this is somehow going to win over audiences at large. Seems like a repeat of SM:H...great reviews, exhilaratingly hyperbolic praise from the staunch fans of the brand (in this case, the Nolan brand), [over]confident predictions of the "just you wait! Great word of mouth incoming!" variety, you know the drill.

Let's see how everything coalesces, but I am not sold on this becoming a GA favorite...(not yet). 

Edited by Cochofles

1 minute ago, Cochofles said:

I am still not convinced that this is somehow going to win over audiences at large. Seems like a repeat of SM:H...great reviews, exhilaratingly hyperbolic praise from the staunch fans of the brand (in this case, the Nolan brand), [over]confident predictions of the "just you wait! Great word of mouth incoming!" variety, you know the drill.

Let's see how everything coalesces, but I am still not sold on this becoming a GA favorite...yet. 

Dunkirk is more the type of movie to get strong legs since it appeals to an adult crowd

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

I was really tempted to say on the forums "Wow, Dunkirk was a colossal piece of shit" to rile members up after seeing the movie but I liked it too much for me to even consider doing it :lol: 

I was pretty indifferent to Dunkirk but I have never been one to rile folks up - at least not that much. Let the ones who liked it enjoy its success. 

Will see Valerian tomorrow and hope I like it better.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

Let's see how everything coalesces, but I am not sold on this becoming a GA favorite...(not yet). 

It's not a popcorn movie, but it is the kind of movie that will get people talking. You don't have to please everyone to do this. Inception did not please everyone. I don't think Dunkirk will have Inception's WOM, but the legs will be a lot stronger than Spidey Homecoming.

There is nothing really unique about Spidey Homecoming. There are a couple of very unique things about Dunkirk that will drive the conversation on this film. One of them happens to be the IMAX photography and it's a good thing the film has IMAX screens for 5-6 weeks. The WOM on the IMAX version of this movie is going to be excellent, so the longer it plays in that format the more IMAX can help the film's legs. 

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator
Just now, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

So, I'm likely seeing Dunkirk on Wednesday.  One of my local theaters has a screen offering it in 70mm.  

I assume this is the preferred format to see it in?

Without a doubt.

(IMO)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

It's not a popcorn movie, but it is the kind of movie that will get people talking. You don't have to please everyone to do this. Inception did not please everyone. I don't think Dunkirk will have Inception's WOM, but the legs will be a lot stronger than Spidey Homecoming.

There is nothing really unique about Spidey Homecoming. There are a couple of very unique things about Dunkirk that will drive the conversation on this film. One of them happens to be the IMAX photography and it's a good thing the film has IMAX screens for 5-6 weeks. The WOM on the IMAX version of this movie is going to be excellent, so the longer it plays in that format the more IMAX can help the film's legs. 

yup. I just saw Spiderman Homecoming and is probably one of my least fav marvel movie in long time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

So, I'm likely seeing Dunkirk on Wednesday.  One of my local theaters has a screen offering it in 70mm.  

I assume this is the preferred format to see it in?

Yes, for sure. Best options:

1. IMAX 70mm

2. IMAX Laser

3. Regular 70mm

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

Yes, for sure. Best options:

1. IMAX 70mm

2. IMAX Laser

3. Regular 70mm

Man, I would love to have a chance to see this in traditional 70mm at the Seattle Cinerama. Seems like an awesome place that really cares about giving customers the best experience. 100 foot wide screen sure doesn't hurt. :lol:

• Like 1