CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

33 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

I need to revisit Gump to finally form a definitive take on it. Really loved it as a teen but upon reflection it feels like a movie that veers awkwardly between making fun of Americana and earnestly buying into it. I feel like it's become such a ubiquitous piece of pop culture that neither its fans nor its haters really acknowledge how weird and contradictory it often is.

It does play that line (it was seen has a pro-conservatism movie by some and exactly the other way around by other), everyone that has a dream in that movie has it crushed (usually get killed), while people that wish to die young on the battlefield or go with the wind get billionaire.

Apparently the book and more so it's sequel was very dark humor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gump_and_Co.

Gump get ruinned, loose everything, they work on a pig farm were they feed them with garbage, and in it he is a big star because of the first movie, really weird and the movie is in development hell since forever.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cmasterclay said:

I guess I can see a case for BTTF 2 being a bit overrated (though great), but I haven't seen it in awhile. BTTF 1 is legendary for a good reason.

Goffe sometimes has terribad opinions (Children of Men being too political is a lowkey WOAT take I saw recently) but I also find myself agreeing a ton about modern blockbusters, particularly superhero movies, so it's a really a rollercoaster of a time. *Jason Mamoa voice* I dig it.

YAHYUH

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

YAHYUH

I think the footage looks bad but man the trailer makes me laugh. Love the doofy alt-metal cover of the Beatles by some System of a Down knockoff. Love Aquaman's dudebro vibe. Love the below Scorpion King level CGI when Cyborg stops the tank. And really love the fact that Ben Affleck is clearly mailing it in so hard they should replace the Batsuit with a UPS uniform. I dig it. Hope we get a Rifftrax of this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emperor Tele-Limai said:

The last several Nolan/Zimmer collaborations seem to be an exercise in proving death by percussion is achievable. 

(And yes, I like all three scores.) :rofl: 

They're basically an exercise in constant ear-covering / sound design, and I gotta give them credit for them, it worked. The score in Dunkirk constantly made me feel "peril".

Edited by Fancyarcher

2 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

They're basically an exercise in constant ear-covering / sound design, and I gotta give them credit for  them, it worked. The score in Dunkirk constantly made me feel "peril".

shout out to the old lady in my row who spend 80% of the film with her hands over her ears.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

shout out to the old lady in my row who spend 80% of the film with her hands over her ears.

The older friend I went to the theater to see the film with, had her ears covered for a lot of the film as well. She still ended up loving the film though. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

Pink did you turn on Imagine Dragons or was it Jayhawk.  I need this question answered so I can place blame appropriately.

It was me. I was channel surfing for it :sparta:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

-Forrest Hump

-Schindler's Fist

-Saving Ryan's Privates

-The Big Dick

-Twink Peaks

-Pulp Friction

-Raiders of the Lost Arse

what else am I missing

Ejacula

Lawrence of a Labia

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

now is daytime across the usa/canada, and BOT is so quite now which means a good thing, all moviegoers are in Dunkirk's IMAX showing! nice!!

speaking of IMAX, one thing i find disappointed by dunkirk was its part of strategy, through it's biggest release of 70mm in 25 years, but still just 131 theaters are available for that(100 regular+31 IMAX). WB seems a bit reluctant for pushing that format, 131 is just too insignificant to bring any impactful effect, I wish WB could push harder for 70mm initially so that Dunkirk could ride on that wave just like what avatar rode on 3D/IMAX. If a movie could popularise 70mm format, that is Dunkirk, and I think WB just missed that chance.  

WB pushed harder on 48fps hfr for hobbit1 and it proved to be a underwhelmed outcome. I wonder is it why studio and theater are worried about "new" format.....     

7 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

I need to revisit Gump to finally form a definitive take on it. Really loved it as a teen but upon reflection it feels like a movie that veers awkwardly between making fun of Americana and earnestly buying into it. I feel like it's become such a ubiquitous piece of pop culture that neither its fans nor its haters really acknowledge how weird and contradictory it often is.

Scorching hot take incoming.

The more I grow up, the more I come to despise Robert Zemeckis, not as a filmmaker (I love Beowulf for hence) but the sneaky way he inserts propaganda and shape young people's subconscious in guise of entertainment in his most infamous family friendly fares. BTTF trilogy is absolutely horrendous in that regard, it goes way much beyond Reaganian values vessel. It's actually a sharp revisionist trilogy whitewashing the history of USA into an Americana myth to symbolize the greatness of America (minus genocides and slavery because History-rewriting-machine Delorean makes them magically disappear out of America's History, past, present and future?!). It's the Birth Of The Nation of the eighties (Eisenstein would be proud too as a statement of cinema's power to shape collective subconscious by forging symbols to push a collective narrative for patriotic sake) and people are totally oblivious because it is so malicious in intent and imagery to fly under that political analysis radar.(Because that's too lame to analyze a masterpiece of pop culture like BTTF, right, "STFU Don't ruin my mindless popcorn entertainment, you goddamn SJW!". No, BTTF is not mindless, that's what makes it even more pervasive on our collective psyche, growing up thinking it was so awesome then being aware of all the socio-political subtext realizing I could never have been Marty McFly and there's a frightening reason why. (How many times do I have to suffer that dumb hipster's joke that Marty McFly invented rock'n roll in 1955 to paint Chuck Berry as a mere sideliner extra of the genre he helped to pioneer?) In a country proned to nostalgia as a culture, the effect can be twisted.

Forrest Gump is no coincidence. Zemeckis is really fascinated by the concept of writing and re-writing History and America's love of creating and erasing narratives to suit and enforce its own delusion as the greatest nation on Earth overcompensating the fact that it doesn't have thousand years worth of history like other civilizations.(Zemeckis choice of re-adapting Beowulf makes total sense in that thematic regard, no coincidence). Moreover, I'd say a lot of this so called innocuous 80's classics fall prey to that analysis. It's funny people can see all the political text about American society in John Carpenter's and the American Dream lampooning in Paul Verhoeven's movies but can't in Spielberg/Zemeckis/Lucas OT/John Hughes movies because they can't be, they're just "harmless fun" but suddenly treated as sacred cows in a defensive way once you dare to analyze them beyond the shallow surface.(Joe Dante's movies are full of it too). No things more sneaky than presenting themselves as "harmless fun" when they're shock full of connotations and stereotypes. The late George Romero knew all of that perfectly well, you don't make zombie movies for the sake of zombies.

Art and Entertainment is political and the fallacy is to think entertainment is neutral, especially Hollywood entertainment (which has never been neutral since its inception, it's actually one of its purpose as conservatives lament and whine about the "liberal agenda" pushed onto them today, they actually yearn for the time when Hollywood pushed their conservative agenda as neutral and status quo that was pushed onto everyone in the fantasized days of Yore. Remember Maccarthysm and Code Hays). Nothing one chooses to present exist in a vacuum whether you like it or not in your absolute pseudo-hip hatred of "thinkpiece".

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

14 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Scorching hot take incoming.

The more I grow up, the more I come to despise Robert Zemeckis, not as a filmmaker (I love Beowulf for hence) but the sneaky way he inserts propaganda and shape young people's subconscious in guise of entertainment in his most infamous family friendly fares. BTTF trilogy is absolutely horrendous in that regard, it goes way much beyond Reaganian values vessel. It's actually a sharp revisionist trilogy whitewashing the history of USA into an Americana myth to symbolize the greatness of America (minus genocides and slavery because History-rewriting-machine Delorean makes them magically disappear out of America's History). It's the Birth Of The Nation of the eighties (Eisenstein would be proud too as a statement of cinema's power to shape collective subconscious by forging symbols to push a collective narrative for patriotic sake) and people are totally oblivious because it is so malicious in intent and imagery to fly under that political analysis radar.(Because that's too lame to analyse a masterpiece of pop culture like BTTF "STFU Don't ruin my mindless popcorn entertainment, you goddamn SJW!". No, BTTF is not mindless, that's what makes it even more pervasive on our collective psyche, growing up thinking it was so awesome then realize all the socio-political subtext realizing I could never be Marty McFly and there's a frightening reason why. (How many times do I have to suffer that dumb hipster's joke that Marty McFly invented rock'n roll in 1955 to paint Chuck Berry as a mere sideliner extra of the genre he helped to pioneer?) In a country proned to nostalgia as a culture, the effect can be twisted.

Forrest Gump is no coincidence. Zemeckis is really fascinated by the concept of writing and re-writing History and America's love of creating and erasing narratives to suit and enforce its own delusion as the greatest nation on Earth overcompensating the fact that it doesn't have thousand years worth of history like other civilizations.(Zemeckis choice of re-adapting Beowulf makes total sense in that thematic regard, no coincidence). Moreover, I'd say a lot of this so called innocuous 80's classics fall prey to that analysis. It's funny people can see all the political text about American society in John Carpenter's and Paul Verhoeven's movies but can't in Spielberg/Zemeckis/Lucas OT movies because they can't be, they're just harmless "fun".(Joe Dante's movies are full of it too).

Art and Entertainment is political and the fallacy is to think entertainment is neutral, especially Hollywood entertainment (which has never been neutral since its inception, it's actually one of its purpose as conservatives lament and whine about the "liberal agenda" pushed onto them today, they actually lament when Hollywood pushed a conservative agenda as neutral and statu quo that was pushed onto everyone in the fantasized days of Yore. Remember Maccarthysm and Code Hays). Nothing one chooses to present exist in a vacuum whether you like or not in your absolute pseudo-hip hatred of "thinkpiece".

• Like 1
  • Haha 2