CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

After seeing the movie, REALLY REALLY GOOD.

I was actually more confident in Dunkirks potential legs before I saw it.

That said, I did hear some guy say it was "the most intense movie I've ever seen" and it had "no breaks", so there's that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

WB might go extremely conservative with the Sunday number, but I think it drops under 20%. 

They might be saving that 1M here or there from Dunkirk if they need to fudge it for WW.

The thing is, the movie I think will have far more crossover appeal than just Nolan's fanbase.  Despite how it's structured, it's easy to follow and a visceral experience like no other.  People will be able to see how good it is even if they're not major film buffs due to how incredibly tense and well-crafted it is.  It skews older too, meaning that they're not as likely to rush out opening weekend.  It'll also have IMAX screens for multiple weeks and lack of competition.  I think it'll have great legs.

Edited by That EddieKaspbrak Guy
  • Like 6

Also @That EddieKaspbrak Guy Valerian was surprisingly good. I loved that movie, sure the second act is average at best and I didn't care too much for Dane Dehann but the first act was tons of fun, and the third act rebounds a bit for me. Also the visuals for this in 3D was amazing. I'm pissed this didn't get an IMAX release.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

The thing is, the movie I think will have far more crossover appeal than just Nolan's fanbase.  Despite how it's structured, it's easy to follow and a visceral experience like no other.  People will be able to see this even if they're not major film buffs due to how incredibly tense it is.  It skews older too, meaning that they're not as likely to rush out opening weekend.  It'll also have IMAX screens for multiple weeks and lack of competition.  I think it'll have great legs.

After two viewings in 1.43 Laser IMAX, the buzz after each show was off the charts. I think at least in the true IMAX screenings, the WOM is going to be A+. I would guess WOM from regular shows will be a lot more mixed, but it's an incredible experience in the proper IMAX format (about 1,000 times better than my first viewing in LieMAX). It's going to be playing on the real deal IMAX screens for 5-6 weeks, so that should help the later legs. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Anyone want to speculate on Dunkirk's legs?

Slightly above average legs IMO.

1. A- Cinemascore is good, but not OMG amazing.

2. Within the span of just a day and half of release, the RT audience score has dropped from over 90%... to below Apes at 86%... and the weekend isn't even over yet.

3. Usually Nolan films hold over 9+ at IMDB for several days because of all his fanboys on there. It's already fallen below 9... and the weekend isn't even over yet.

4. Just a 4 star rating on Fandango

5. Dropping estimates, originally 22M from Asgard, to 20M from Guru, and now its 19.8M. Weekend estimates went from high 50M's and maybe even cracking 60M, now to just low 50M's and its possible it might not even make 50M.

Taken all together, it seems like the Nolan die-hards rushed out on opening day and got sampled by Cinemascore and they gave it an A-. But once the general audience got a crack at the film they didn't seem to like it as much, hence why the aggregated scores over time like RT, Fandango, etc. are consistently dropping. JMO.

Edit: Within the span of my posting this, RT score dropped again to 85%.

Edited by AndyChrono
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

The thing is, the movie I think will have far more crossover appeal than just Nolan's fanbase.  Despite how it's structured, it's easy to follow and a visceral experience like no other.  People will be able to see this even if they're not major film buffs due to how incredibly tense it is.  It skews older too, meaning that they're not as likely to rush out opening weekend.  It'll also have IMAX screens for multiple weeks and lack of competition.  I think it'll have great legs.

I'm still concerned that some people might find the movie a bit monotonous and boring.

I liked it, but I didn't buy completely in it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

After two viewings in 1.43 Laser IMAX, the buzz after each show was off the charts. I think at least in the true IMAX screenings, the WOM is going to be A+. I would guess WOM from regular shows will be a lot more mixed, but it's an incredible experience in the proper IMAX format (about 1,000 times better than my first viewing in LieMAX). It's going to be playing on the real deal IMAX screens for 5-6 weeks, so that should help the later legs. 

Whenever you post about how great Laser and 70mm are, it makes me feel dirty my 1.43 IMAX is Xenon :sadben: 

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I'm still concerned that some people might find the movie a bit monotonous and boring.

My sister's #1 complaint after seeing movies is: "It's boring!"  She says it after most movies she sees.

This was one of the few where she actually didn't say that, and actually loved the movie.  Plus, it's nonstop war action!  How boring can that really be?

• Like 1

I think close to 3x should happen if not 3x itself but cautious to go further at this time. 150 is the target imo which would be a good result, above the 135 I had been sticking with for a while

• Like 2