CJohn

DUNKIRK WEEKEND THREAD | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS | Official estimates Dunkirk 50.5M, GT 30.3M, SMH 22M, Apes 20.4M, Val 17M | Wonder Woman is the new summer champ with 389M total | Summer Sale is Live!

24 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Scorching hot take incoming.

The more I grow up, the more I come to despise Robert Zemeckis, not as a filmmaker (I love Beowulf for hence) but the sneaky way he inserts propaganda and shape young people's subconscious in guise of entertainment in his most infamous family friendly fares. BTTF trilogy is absolutely horrendous in that regard, it goes way much beyond Reaganian values vessel. It's actually a sharp revisionist trilogy whitewashing the history of USA into an Americana myth to symbolize the greatness of America (minus genocides and slavery because History-rewriting-machine Delorean makes them magically disappear out of America's History). It's the Birth Of The Nation of the eighties (Eisenstein would be proud too as a statement of cinema's power to shape collective subconscious by forging symbols to push a collective narrative for patriotic sake) and people are totally oblivious because it is so malicious in intent and imagery to fly under that political analysis radar.(Because that's too lame to analyse a masterpiece of pop culture like BTTF "STFU Don't ruin my mindless popcorn entertainment, you goddamn SJW!". No, BTTF is not mindless, that's what makes it even more pervasive on our collective psyche, growing up thinking it was so awesome then being aware of all the socio-political subtext realizing I could never have been Marty McFly and there's a frightening reason why. (How many times do I have to suffer that dumb hipster's joke that Marty McFly invented rock'n roll in 1955 to paint Chuck Berry as a mere sideliner extra of the genre he helped to pioneer?) In a country proned to nostalgia as a culture, the effect can be twisted.

Forrest Gump is no coincidence. Zemeckis is really fascinated by the concept of writing and re-writing History and America's love of creating and erasing narratives to suit and enforce its own delusion as the greatest nation on Earth overcompensating the fact that it doesn't have thousand years worth of history like other civilizations.(Zemeckis choice of re-adapting Beowulf makes total sense in that thematic regard, no coincidence). Moreover, I'd say a lot of this so called innocuous 80's classics fall prey to that analysis. It's funny people can see all the political text about American society in John Carpenter's and the American Dream lampooning Paul Verhoeven's movies but can't in Spielberg/Zemeckis/Lucas OT movies because they can't be, they're just harmless "fun".(Joe Dante's movies are full of it too).

Art and Entertainment is political and the fallacy is to think entertainment is neutral, especially Hollywood entertainment (which has never been neutral since its inception, it's actually one of its purpose as conservatives lament and whine about the "liberal agenda" pushed onto them today, they actually lament when Hollywood pushed a conservative agenda as neutral and status quo that was pushed onto everyone in the fantasized days of Yore. Remember Maccarthysm and Code Hays). Nothing one chooses to present exist in a vacuum whether you like or not in your absolute pseudo-hip hatred of "thinkpiece".

For some reason, you always struck me as a "Death Becomes Her is my favorite Zemeckis" kind of viewer. You like that one at all?

I cant even read your whole post Dash. I mean....insert Francis Sawyer Stripes GIF here.

I mean if you want to I can give you a long-ass post as to how Back to the Future actually told us that 9/11 was going to happen and all the symbolism in that series towards 911 as well. But the bottom line is there just fun entertaining films that are full of laughs.

• Like 2

Just now, That EddieKaspbrak Guy said:

About to see Orgaskirk in 70MM!  Just 18 more minutes.

TFW you can not find a 70MM showing for Dunkirk since you live in Wisconsin. :sadben:

Just now, JohnnyGossamer said:

For some reason, you always struck me as a "Death Becomes Her is my favorite Zemeckis" kind of viewer. You like that one at all?

Yeah, Zemeckis is one cynical MOFO and that one is underrated because it is way more sarcastic and misanthropic than light fare like BTTF. But I'm convinced that's actually his true self at work in there. I'll get as far as saying that people don't realize how he resembles David Fincher in terms of cynicism and overall world outlook. When you're an adult, you see his eighties/nineties filmography in a whole darker light. What Lies Beneath is also interesting to revisit, there's always something sinister lying beneath his movies to unearth.

2 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

Yeah, Zemeckis is one cynical MOFO and that one is underrated because it is way more sarcastic and misanthropic than light fare like BTTF. But I'm convinced that's actually his true self at work in there. I'll get as far as saying that people don't realize how he resembles David Fincher in terms of cynicism and overall world outlook. When you're an adult, you see his eighties/nineties filmography in a whole darker light. What Lies Beneath is also interesting to revisit, there's always something sinister lying beneath his movies to unearth.

Excellent summation of what's lurking under Death. Couldn't agree more. I think it's his smartest, most rancid but hilarious take on humanity at large. Really do love that one. 

• Thanks 1

Back to weekend performance, Pulse and MovieTickets are not currently positive signs that Apes will leap Spidey for 3rd...not sure Deadline is gonna end up with the right order by Monday...also, GT is showing a little weakness in matinees around here - so, this may be a 7 day a week nighttime movie...kinda like Bad Moms...

1 hour ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I cant even read your whole post Dash. I mean....insert Francis Sawyer Stripes GIF here.

I mean if you want to I can give you a long-ass post as to how Back to the Future actually told us that 9/11 was going to happen and all the symbolism in that series towards 911 as well. But the bottom line is there just fun entertaining films that are full of laughs.

You should read a bit about Hollywood and BTTF behind the scenes then realize I don't pull all of this out of my chocolate starfish.

Hell, Crispin Glover aka the original George McFly confirmed part of what I'm saying and how that was totally intentional on the producers and filmmaker part, that it was there in the original script's text and subtext he read back then voicing his concerns. (Then getting fired and dispossessed of his own image being exploited by Zemeckis and co for being too analytical and a pain in the ass over the content and potential ramifications he signed for).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1