Alli

Weekend Thread. Dark Tower 19.5...Dunkirk 17.6....Emoji 12.3...Girls Trip 11.4 not sure what page| Not the sex thread

Just now, That Floating Guy said:

Maybe it is on him, but all he did was miscalculate the appeal of Dunkirk and you're acting like for that one mistake, there should be no empathy whatsoever directed towards him

When even Box office long range forecast said "We are expecting Valerian to move to August" and there were way too many articles about how the clash wouldn't go well for it, he chose to stick his head in the sand and stay. His ego might cost the jobs of the people who worked on the movies and those precious VFX artists without whom movies can't survive anymore. No empathy to the job killer who put ego over people's careers.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

He didn't just miscalculate Dunkirk's appeal. He also ignored the releases of Spidey and Apes which were always going to give Valerian (and Dunkirk) trouble on July 21st. August always made a lot more sense for Valerian and it's too bad he didn't want to change it. 

Spidey was in its 3rd week of release and Apes collapsed in its 2nd week, so it's not like those should even really be accounted for especially with how they did that weekend.

• Like 1

With how crowded July was, I'm surprised that no studios jumped on the August 4 date. As others have said, it could have rescued War for the Planet of the Apes to some extent.

Then again, I think part of the emptiness of August - a month whose first half studios reclaimed with big releases in the last several years - coincidentally comes down to their effort to reclaim other months instead. Look at March in particular: Logan, Kong, and Power Rangers are all the kind of risky-but-potentially-big projects that have found traction in past Augusts.

• Like 2

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Does it make it OK? Age of consent is 12 in angola and philippines. Will you cheer for a 30 year old to impregnate a 12 year old in those countries?

I'm not saying we should allow the relationship with open arms, but he wasn't technically breaking any laws.  It's creepy for sure, but it wasn't illegal like some other scumbag sex offenders in Hollywood (cough Polanski cough)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

The age of consent in France is 15, as specified by Article 227-25 of the Penal Code, which reads: "The fact of the commission without violence, constraint, threat or surprise of a sexual offence by an adult on the person of a minor under fifteen years of age is punished by five years' imprisonment and a fine of €75,000."

You are American right? I just think the French are wrong on that deal. This is kind of one of those things where there are legal loopholes but still bad morality/ethics. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

When even Box office long range forecast said "We are expecting Valerian to move to August" and there were way too many articles about how the clash wouldn't go well for it, he chose to stick his head in the sand and stay. His ego might cost the jobs of the people who worked on the movies and those precious VFX artists without whom movies can't survive anymore. No empathy to the job killer who put ego over people's careers.

What's to say he even read those articles?  He saw the situation and decided to keep it because he thought it would be able to coexist.  All.  He.  Did.  Was.  Miscalculate. The.  Appeal.  Do I have to keep repeating that over and over until you realize that every human in fucking existence makes mistakes?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

Spidey was in its 3rd week of release and Apes collapsed in its 2nd week, so it's not like those should even really be accounted for especially with how they did that weekend.

They were still competing for screens and whatnot. August was pretty much a very empty place to release a movie. Apes or Valerian should have moved. 

2 minutes ago, That Floating Guy said:

What's to say he even read those articles?  He saw the situation and decided to keep it because he thought it would be able to coexist.  All.  He.  Did.  Was.  Miscalculate. The.  Appeal.  Do I have to keep repeating that over and over until you realize that every human in fucking existence makes mistakes?

And now he lost Europacorp a bundle, people their jobs and :qotd: any leading man roles

YXoQiiJ.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

RE large age differences in a relationship: Yeah, it's creepy as fuck. It says a lot about both parties involved. The older person is a creep/loser, and the younger person is incredibly naive. My sister has been "friends" with this guy who is 12 years older than her and has known since she was 17 (she's nearly 19), and that shit really rubs me the wrong way.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

RE large age differences in a relationship: Yeah, it's creepy as fuck. It says a lot about both parties involved. The older person is a creep/loser, and the younger person is incredibly naive. My sister has been "friends" with this guy who is 12 years older than her and has known since she was 17 (she's nearly 19), and that shit really rubs me the wrong way.

I'm not even denying it's creepy because it is, but it is legal in France and that's hardly the topic of discussion that we're going on about right now

• Like 2

1 hour ago, That Floating Guy said:

6TH BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR SO FAR

The final twists were hilarious but at the same time good? I have no clue how I feel about that lmao. Why was Dehaan

Spoiler

smiling like that in the final shot? Was he evil now? I think he was going to continue Baron's work and bone Mia Goth while at it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, grim22 said:

And now he lost Europacorp a bundle, people their jobs and :qotd: any leading man roles

YXoQiiJ.png

I think Renegades is still coming out OS. Our distributor is still acting like it is.

Just now, CJohn said:

The final twists were hilarious but at the same time good? I have no clue how I feel about that lmao. Why was Dehaan

Hide contents

smiling like that in the final shot? Was he evil now? I think he was going to continue Baron's work and bone Mia Goth while at it.

The final scene is up to interpretation I suppose :ph34r:

Spoiler

I still have no idea what the evil looking smile meant but it's still a great final shot because it actually makes you think about why he's smiling

• Like 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Geez, that's even worse for Detroit than RTH's numbers.

Some really good holds in there, thanks to the mostly irrelevant openers. Dunkirk looking to fall less than 35%, Girls Trip is looking at another sub-40% drop, Spider-Man is gonna have a 30% drop, and even Apes is holding well for once.

Also, Baby Driver held better than some of the films in the top 10 despite losing 27% of its theaters. It will cross $100M next Sunday with a final total of $104M.

• Like 2

Just now, That Floating Guy said:

The final scene is up to interpretation I suppose :ph34r:

Hide contents

I still have no idea what the evil looking smile meant but it's still a great final shot because it actually makes you think about why he's smiling

Spoiler

Well, he was finally "cured." He's free. He won't share the fate of father. He just got the girl. He turned his back on big corporate and the pursuit materials and status. Evil smile? I think that's just a DeHaan smile, smirk. Like a fuck you, I'm over this shit.

• Like 2