CJohn

WEEKEND THREAD | ANNABELLE 2 - $35m; DUNKIRK - $11.4m; NUT JOB 2 - $8.9m; BABY DRIVER Crosses $100m!!!

6 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

I am quite surprised that with all these relatively weak new releases in the past few weeks, Dunkirk's leg has not been outstanding, compared to WW, Baby Driver or even SMH which lately started to show some good leg

DUNKIRK will cross 3x multiplier this weekend. SMH final multiplier won't match DUNKIKR's current multiplier.

BD was a Wed opener which makes OW less front-loaded: Eg even TF5 did 2.9x of FSS cause it was a Wed opener. BD had great legs but Wed and Fri openers cannot be compared.

185 dom will be 3.66x, outstanding imo. Only next to Wondy for Friday openers in the summer?

I think July/Aug weekend drops skewing our perception of legs while weekdays are pulling in huge numbers compared to other months.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

DUNKIRK will cross 3x multiplier this weekend.

185 dom will be 3.66x, outstanding imo. Only next to Wondy for Friday openers in the summer?

I think July/Aug weekend drops skewing our perception of legs while weekdays are pulling in huge numbers compared to other months.

To go along with that, we're simply holding the film to another standard. It's a Nolan film which typically have great legs, and it's an original film, so we expect it to have really strong legs. 

But the truth is, it's not going to have better legs than WW and Baby Driver because it's not as universally well liked. And that's...totally fine. I don't think it's as accessible as something like Baby Driver, Wonder Woman, or SMH. It's doing about 45-50 million more than I thought going into Summer, and still probably another 30 mil more what I was expecting even after reviews.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, MrPink said:

DOwn 34% from last weekend. Very good. Probably best hold out of top 10

23 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Yes pretty good for SMH but overall Pretty good hold/bump for across the board ....

8 minutes ago, boxofficeth said:

I am quite surprised that with all these relatively weak new releases in the past few weeks, Dunkirk's leg has not been outstanding, compared to WW, Baby Driver or even SMH which lately started to show some good leg

1tzhoa.jpg

:lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

DUNKIRK will cross 3x multiplier this weekend.

Too many people look at the weekend drops and forget the weekday numbers. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrPink said:

To go along with that, we're simply holding the film to another standard. It's a Nolan film which typically have great legs, and it's an original film, so we expect it to have really strong legs. 

But the truth is, it's not going to have better legs than WW and Baby Driver because it's not as universally well liked. And that's...totally fine. It's doing about 40-45 million more than I thought going into Summer, and still probably another 30 mil more what I was expecting even after reviews.

BD opened on Wed (I edited my post) so not a fair com. For friday openers it's only next to Wondy.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

BD opened on Wed (I edited my post) so not a fair com. For friday openers it's only next to Wondy.

I know it's not a direct 1:1 comparison but looking beyond the 5-day openings, its weekend drops were consistently around 35% or below. Which for the middle of July, is pretty phenomenal, especially coming off a holiday boosted weekend

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

But the truth is, it's not going to have better legs than WW and Baby Driver because it's not as universally well liked. And that's...totally fine. I don't think it's as accessible as something like Baby Driver, Wonder Woman, or SMH. It's doing about 45-50 million more than I thought going into Summer, and still probably another 30 mil more what I was expecting even after reviews.

Plus in comparison with Interstellar, that one cheated by removing some of its preview money from opening weekend (Wednesday/Thursday money). Interstellar's run was more like 49.66/188 and Dunkirk is on pace to pretty much equal it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Good bump for Apes on Friday, but yeah it looks like it may be a little bit too late.

Does it still have China? I think it needs at least 350m WW to have a shot at being financially ok.

2 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Does it still have China? I think it needs at least 350m WW to have a shot at being financially ok.

Honestly, I'm not worried with Apes. It's the last chapter of the trilogy, I haven't seen it yet but I don't think they are going for a sequel. It does have a cult following and there are lots of merch related to the film floating around. It will do great in home video. It will be fine. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Yeah DAWN did $107 in China, So I would assume this will be close to it. It will pass $350M for Sure with China. It also Have Japan left as well. SO Im thinking about close to $390M Total.

Edited by Subzero

5 minutes ago, Subzero said:

Yeah DAWN did $107 in China, So I would assume this will be close to it. It will pass $350M for Sure with China. It also Have Japan left as well. SO Im thinking about close to $390M Total.

And South Korea...

• Thanks 1

400 is a lock for APES:

Current OS is itself 153.6 (by last weekend)

China let's use 90 (which imo is the lower side)

Dom 145

That gives 153.6+90+145 = 388.6

Apart from this 388.6, remainder of the run from current OS markets and new markets excluding China, will take Apes to 450 ww imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, a2knet said:

400 is a lock for APES:

Dom 145

Apart from this 388.6, remainder of the run from current OS markets and new markets excluding China, will take Apes to 450 ww imo.

The budget being 150M really helped it  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, a2knet said:

400 is a lock for APES:

Dom 145

You are a great Person.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

You are a great Person.

450, is still 3x the 150 prod budget. at least that is wroth rejoicing. but the drop from 700 to 450 will hurt for ever. #neverforget

• Sad 1