That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

Sony Classics got pretty lucky getting the rights to Call Me by Your Name for "north of 6m" before it even premiered. They can still fuck up the release/expansion, of course, but it won't be anyone's fault but their own considering the movie will be all over the awards no matter what, and probably do solid in Europe. 

4 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Oh yea I never posted my opinion but Detroit and Logan Lucky are both really great. #4 and 5 of the year for me probably. Not exactly an original observation but even if this summer has been kinda ass BO wise it's been the best in years from a quality standpoint. And I didn't even feel acclaimed shit like Baby Driver or Spider Man too much. 

tenor.gif

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Here's the Sundance chart for this year:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=sundance2017.htm

The Big Sick is the biggest with almost $40M (which puts it on the very high end of Sundance titles this decade) and the second biggest is Beatriz at Dinner with $7M, and only three other movies clearing $1M. Call Me by Your Name will easily be #2 though.

Sundance doesn't normally produce huge grosses. It's becoming a catalogue completion place for studios and streaming services. IIRC, Amazon or someone similar have a standing deal with any movie premiering at festivals that they will acquire anything for a fixed price and exclusive streaming rights post a limited theatrical run. It's a good deal for a lot of indie producers for sure. 

I think Netflix acquired a few movies, ones which won jury awards and so on, and just dumped them on streaming without any fanfare.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Sony Classics got pretty lucky getting the rights to Call Me by Your Name for "north of 6m" before it even premiered. They can still fuck up the release/expansion, of course, but it won't be anyone's fault but their own considering the movie will be all over the awards no matter what, and probably do solid in Europe. 

I think they'll be smart with the expansion tbh. NY/LA over Thanksgiving weekend, followed by expanding to most metropolitan areas by Christmas Day, and then a wide expansion when Oscar nominations are announced.

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Sundance doesn't normally produce huge grosses. It's becoming a catalogue completion place for studios and streaming services. IIRC, Amazon or someone similar have a standing deal with any movie premiering at festivals that they will acquire anything for a fixed price and exclusive streaming rights post a limited theatrical run. It's a good deal for a lot of indie producers for sure. 

I think Netflix acquired a few movies, ones which won jury awards and so on, and just dumped them on streaming without any fanfare.

Like most of their content? :lol: 

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

tenor.gif

At first I thought it was mainly Elgort, but then I realized that character is so poorly written you woulda needed prime Cruise/Will Smith for it to even have a chance. And there's just alot of other bad stuff, too. The great stuff people love IS great and super well-directed, but meh.

Also, didn't need another fan wank to 70s rock music, either. Move on to another era, people.

• Like 1

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

Netflix is putting Mudbound out in November. Released in conventional fashion it'd probably be a contender for a bunch of nominations at least but as it stands it's a wildcard. 

As long as Netflix continues their current approach (day and date streaming + a release in a handful of arthouse theaters), I don't ever see them catching on with the AMPAS.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

I think they'll be smart with the expansion tbh. NY/LA over Thanksgiving weekend, followed by expanding to most metropolitan areas by Christmas Day, and then a wide expansion when Oscar nominations are announced.

They are copying Weinstein's approach with King's Speech/The Imitation Game/The Artist essentially, yeah. Good for them, they need it especially now that they don't have Woody Allen movies anymore.

Just now, Jake Gittes said:

They are copying Weinstein's approach with King's Speech/The Imitation Game/The Artist essentially, yeah. Good for them, they need it especially now that they don't have Woody Allen movies anymore.

And even those don't always work out (given the wildly uneven quality of his output).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

As long as Netflix continues their current approach (day and date streaming + a release in a handful of arthouse theaters), I don't ever see them catching on with the AMPAS.

They did get 13th a best documentary nod, and Idris Elba got SAG for Beasts of No Nation. In the long run it might be a matter of promotion and convincing people, though right now I agree they'd do better by at least meeting the other side halfway somehow. 

• Like 1

Just now, damnitgeorge08 said:

Yeah I agree with nova, a homage can't compare to excellent original work. La La Land doesn't hold a candle to anything that Nolan has ever directed.

La La Land is no more an homage to anything than TDK is an homage to Heat or Interstellar is one to Solaris/2001. It has zero bearing on quality anyway.

• Like 5