That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

6 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Yes, it being a homage doesn't take from it's quality but it stops it from being any special. Sorry, but movies like la la land, a good movie comes every year, while blockbusters like inception, interstellar, and dunkrik don't. Tell me when damian chazelle does something like that.

You realize an original live-action musical on the scale of La La Land hadn't been done in decades before Chazelle made it?

• Like 5

I think I have the answer to why All Saints will bomb: its plot.

Michael Spurlock decides to trade in his corporate sales career to become a pastor. Unfortunately, his first assignment is to close a country church and sell the prime piece of land where it sits. He soon has a change of heart when the church starts to welcome refugees from Burma. Spurlock now finds himself working with the refugees to turn the land into a working farm to pay the church's bills.

Without turning this into a political thread, hard conservative Christians/Trump supporters tend to not like refugees, and they're the film's target audience. Now I'm not surprised it's sold nothing at my theater :lol: 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Sorry, but movies like la la land, a good movie comes every year

A movie like la la land arguably didn't come for most of this board users life time, let alone in 2015 (which movie would that be ?), 2014, 2013, etc...

11 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Yes, it being a homage doesn't take from it's quality but it stops it from being any special

I don't know the line if so thin, how much of an "homage" star wars was to those serial Lucas watched when he was a kid and The Hidden Fortress, was still special. Tarantino career in general and so on. Logan was a big homage, felt arguably more special to many than a Doctor Strange.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You realize an original live-action musical on the scale of La La Land hadn't been done in decades before Chazelle made it?

So, now $30m is big scale. How about $160m mind-bending sci-fi and heist movie? Few people can direct goodfellas, but even fewer can make jaws. Same is true for titanic and every wes anderson movie and in this case, la la land and inception.

10 minutes ago, Nova said:

The shade in this Collider article regarding this weekends box office results though :lol:

Last year, the big-studio graveyard known widely as August got a not-at-all surprising boost. In 2016, David Ayer‘s Suicide Squad, a movie that no one should ever see, made $133.6 million at the domestic box office, besting Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie that most people should watch, to nab the biggest August opening of all time. 

Remember when journalists would simply report the news?

Oh, wait...it's Collider. 

No journalism degree required.

(Now someone will tell me "the writer of that line actually has a journalism degree," which makes it even worse...)

• Like 1

I didn't love La La Land like everyone else did BUT it's not a film that comes around often which imo is why so many are enamored with it. 

But I think some folks (not on this board specifically) have gone over board with it. Like it was a good movie for what it was but I just don't see it as a movie that's going to be talked about years from now as this masterpiece. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

So, now $30m is big scale. 

It is for a musical not based on a known property. It took Chazelle years to get money to make it.

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Few people can direct goodfellas, but even fewer can make jaws. 

I don't see what you're basing this on. I see you moved away from the whole homage thing and are just basing this on size/budget/spectacle now? That's not the end-all and be-all. Only Scorsese can direct Goodfellas and make it what it is, and Wes Anderson is sure as hell the only person who can properly direct a Wes Anderson movie. These are all very personal projects that you're listing, and at best you can argue that Nolan's work is no more or less special than Chazelle's because it takes them and only them to come up with what they want to do in the first place. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nova said:

The shade in this Collider article regarding this weekends box office results though :lol:

Last year, the big-studio graveyard known widely as August got a not-at-all surprising boost. In 2016, David Ayer‘s Suicide Squad, a movie that no one should ever see, made $133.6 million at the domestic box office, besting Guardians of the Galaxy, a movie that most people should watch, to nab the biggest August opening of all time. 

TFW Suicide Squad is actually a good but dumb movie.

• Like 2

Just now, That Floating Guy said:

You know a film that doesn't come around so often?  A Cure for Wellness.

(watch it please)

Actually I am right now. I'm halfway into it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

A movie like la la land arguably didn't come for most of this board users life time, let alone in 2015 (which movie would that be ?), 2014, 2013, etc...

I don't know the line if so thin, how much of an "homage" star wars was to those serial Lucas watched when he was a kid and The Hidden Fortress, was still special. Tarantino career in general and so on. Logan was a big homage, felt arguably more special to many than a Doctor Strange.

I don't mean genres, I meant a 'special' movie that comes every year. Every time martin scorsese releases a movie, it happens. Yet they don't have much impact. You know annie hall and star wars. I think time is the best reviewer, and la la land is annie hall.

2 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

I don't mean genres, I meant a 'special' movie that comes every year. Every time martin scorsese releases a movie, it happens. Yet they don't have much impact. You know annie hall and star wars. I think time is the best reviewer, and la la land is annie hall.

tumblr_oneo9s9PfU1teygvgo1_r1_500.gif

Every day we stray further from God's light

• Like 7