That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

And even those don't always work out (given the wildly uneven quality of his output).

Financial result for Sony classic (they had the domestic release only), the acquisition price was so low for them that they almost all did at least a small profit except Meet a talk dark stranger were they lost 630k, impressive ROI overall on them. With is 2 hits making a giant profit (from a sony classic low acquisition price, no risk point of view)

Whatever works

Total revenue: 7.969 million

Profit: 1.7 million

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger

Total revenue: 3.9 million

Profit: -0.627 million

Midnight in Paris

Total revenue: 67.311 million

Profit: 22.6 million

Rome With love

Total revenue: 17.7 million

Profit: 5.48 million

Blue Jasmine

Total revenue: 42.3 million

Profit: 14.15 million

Magic in the moonlight

Total revenue: 11.8 million

Profit: 1.729 million

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Fuck all of you, The Great Train Robbery is the greatest heist movie of all time. :qotd:

I quite like the 70's version with Connery & Sutherland too, which technically can be considered a heist film.

3 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

The original is really good. although the entire heist part takes about five minutes.

Good movie. The acting is all really good too, especially Burns, which gives a very understated & often reflective performance. More people should know about the film too, it's very good indeed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, babz06 said:

I think they should go wide with it Labor Day as well. There seems to be enough interest. But Weinstein hasn't been the smartest lately.

Harvey moved Tulip Fever to Labor Day weekend at the last minute, embargoed reviews until 1 PM on September 1, I swear the hold that movie has over him has caused him to lose all his brain cells. 

2 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

dunkirk is almost certain to pass interstellar's dom number.....but I doubt oscar buzz will further drive people into watching dunkirk.

Using inception, that released in July too, being and oscar contender at the same time, didn't generate a single cent from oscar season in theater. Same may happen to dunkirk as it's already drop from theater.

Speaking of oscar, dunkirk oscar buzz instantly drop after its opening, even WW has more oscar buzz,I don't think there is any backlash but WB seem try to tame its oscar buzz to avoid any potential backlash against dunkirk. They would "reserve" the oscar buzz to later so that it keep fresh memories in oscar season I supposed 

Did Inception even get re-released for Oscar season? Dunkirk is a little different, maybe more like Gravity in being able to sell the theater experience. It will probably be on streaming and DVD by awards season, a re-release would only do so much. 

I don't see Dunkirk winning BP,  it's too big and has too many detractors to make it in the preferential ballot system.  

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Speaking of which, Mark Rylance would be the fucking laziest coattail nomination since Alan Arkin back in 2012. This year's Supporting Actor field is highly competitive, so it's not like he'd get in because of weak competition.

Keira Knightley got in for a pretty unchallenging performance in The Imitation Game more recently, but yeah. Although some would say Rylance didn't do very much in Bridge of Spies and won, and his reviews for Dunkirk are strong enough, but it's a very competitive year. I think he probably wins the BAFTA, Dunkirk is just massive in the UK.

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I don't think the faith based audience can get to do a 5+ multi

War Room was pretty leggy, it didn't start out in 3,000 theaters though and the Kendrick Brothers are at Spielberg/Nolan status among faith-based moviegoers. 

The Nolan vs. La La Land talk is funny because during the PR tour for Dunkirk he had big praise for LLL, said he saw it in theaters three times. It would be hilarious if his next movie was a musical! I think he enjoys f***ing with people a little bit. :lol:

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoxOfficeChica said:

Harvey moved Tulip Fever to Labor Day weekend at the last minute, embargoed reviews until 1 PM on September 1, I swear the hold that movie has over him has caused him to lose all his brain cells. 

I'm waiting for Harvey to say "there is no movie, folks" just as that 1 PM embargo on opening day ends.

• Haha 1

Me and @Nova are definitely on the same page with The hitman's Bodyguard. It's easily the best time I've had at the theater so far this year and I laughed my ass off in. Salma Hayek Steeles and every goddamn scene she's in your hands senegence faces are epic and Ryan does the Ryan thing. I'm definitely going to go see it again and I'm definitely going to recommend all my friends to go as well. I'm expecting a 20% above its Day from the true Friday number.

• Like 1