That One Girl

Weak-end Thread | Hitman's Bodyguard 21.6M; Annabelle 15.5M; Logan Lucky 8M; Dunkirk 6.7M | Wonder Woman beats Spider-Man and is now at 404M

31 minutes ago, YourMother said:

Still the faith based audience will help this tremendously, it'll have an OW around $13M-$15M imo, and then gain solid legs like most faith based films do.

I don't think the faith based audience can get to do a 5+ multi

• Like 2

Just now, Jonwo said:

I don't think the faith based audience can get to do a 5+ multi

Not for the $75M, but a $15M/$55M total is what I was referring too $50M being the floor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe? We're talking about the studio that payed 18.5M(?) for Birth of a Nation.

10.5M for Patti Cakes according to a quick search.

Lmao.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

What the hell is with The Big Sick being up 35% from last Friday? Did Lionsgate just give it a ton of double features with Hitman's Bodyguard or something?

Some Moviepass folks didn't need to wait for cards, Fandango had its 1st universal movie ticket deal (a BOGO) in over 3 weeks, and when you don't make much in BO but still get to hold all your screens and showings from the week before, the extra $200K-3M these kinda specials can give you will make your holds bonkers...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Maybe? We're talking about the studio that payed 18.5M(?) for Birth of a Nation.

They also paid like $10M for Me & Earl & the Dying Girl (remember that? Yeah, didn't think so) two years ago. I'd say they should stay away from Sundance, but they also picked up Brooklyn from there two years ago to awards recognition and box office success, so win some, lose some.

1 hour ago, MrPink said:

Best Pic is a better lock than Director. The expanded number of nominations will guarantee it.

Inception and Mad Max are the blue prints.

Nothing is guaranteed but if Dunkirk misses BP than AMPAS does have something against Nolan. Not to mention that missing BD would be an outrage too cause direction is the moneyshot of the movie, highly praised as groundbreaking in all reviews. Dunkirk is currently too big to ignore - boxoffice bonanza, critical darling - with only Get Out being another non-festival season contender with serious chances. Detroit faded on all fronts, both critical (good reception overall but nothing out of this world plus worse than Bigelow's previous movies) and boxoffice (a flop) plus controversy (AA critics and audience reportedly are not impressed so Hollywood liberals likely won't try to resurrect it during the awards season).    

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

They also paid like $10M for Me & Earl & the Dying Girl (remember that? Yeah, didn't think so) two years ago. I'd say they should stay away from Sundance, but they also picked up Brooklyn from there two years ago to awards recognition and box office success, so win some, lose some.

They need to stop spending big money on these films. 

the continued overspending at sundance is crazy. but these days you've got Amazon showing up at every festival wanting to throw ridiculous stacks at everything (they bought FORTY films at SXSW this year) so you've kinda gotta raise your price if you want a buzzy title.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

They're still chasing the success of Little Miss Sunshine a decade later.

Oh yea I never posted my opinion but Detroit and Logan Lucky are both really great. #4 and 5 of the year for me probably. Not exactly an original observation but even if this summer has been kinda ass BO wise it's been the best in years from a quality standpoint. And I didn't even feel acclaimed shit like Baby Driver or Spider Man too much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's the Sundance chart for this year:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=sundance2017.htm

The Big Sick is the biggest with almost $40M (which puts it on the very high end of Sundance titles this decade) and the second biggest is Beatriz at Dinner with $7M, and only three other movies clearing $1M. Call Me by Your Name will easily be #2 though.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1