Incarnadine

Theater bans Gone With The Wind for being "Insensitive"

1 minute ago, Noctis said:

From both of us? Exactly what have I said that is considered strawman? I have not thrown random statistics out of my ass to try and prove my point. And I'm not from Jordan, either. And yes...I'm sure that there are a lot more than 2% that consider the Confederacy as something great that's been lost. But it's been blindingly obvious that the more the older generation dies away, the less common it is.

My mistake, I thought I remember you having Jordan listed as your location at one point. My apologies. 

Also, it's not blindingly obvious whatsoever. Did you see the people marching in Charlottesville? Or the demographics of any internet debate over this? Or the kind of people at baseball games with the ole stars and bars in their pickup truck? It's overwhelmingly young, not old. If anything, it's having a resurgence.

40 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Yeah, because all of those poor Southerners fought to preserve a way of life that benefited only the wealthy land owners. 

The Left's War on America continues unabated. 

Preserve American history!

*knows little about American history*

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Immediate_Causes_Which_Induce_and_Justify_the_Secession_of_South_Carolina_from_the_Federal_Union

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I live in a conservative part of Florida and see several confederate flags each week on the road. Hell, there's an apartment complex hanging a confederate flag on a window before my neighborhood.

Ok. There are also devout Muslims praising ISIS and living right here in this country. They couldn't be a smaller minority.

Just now, grey ghost said:

I live in Louisiana and am a huge history buff. I don't give a shit if every Confederate statue gets taken down. 

The majority of the South fought to keep the federal government from telling them what to do. They had no stake in slavery because they were all poor white people. 

It was a war fought with many different ideologies. The narrative from the Left has always wanted to make it 100% about slavery, but the facts speak for themselves. 

Slavery is gone and the North won. Those are both great things. But you can't just wash over all of the causes.

• Like 1

vivien leigh is really great in this movie. all-timer performance. a shame her list of film credits is so small. one of the best actresses of that era. street car is also up there as incredible work.

:ty::ty: :ty::ty::ty::ty: 

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Religion and politics are incredibly interconnected, especially when it comes to Christianity and Islam (particularly the latter). The vast majority do these charities in order to try and convert people to their religion. Look at the societal destruction in many parts of Africa because of Christian and Muslim missionaries where they'd rather shove their religious books down their throats instead of properly giving them food, water, aid, and a proper education. 

I add my voice to it. cos of this reason I rolled my eyes when during muslim ban, people were wearing hijab and burqa to protest that. You could protest that without doing anything like this. In 90% cases feminism should be against religion not with it.

13 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I see the point, and I concede that removing the confederate flags and statues has virtue. As I said, it's more the sheep culture amonf the left that annoys me. I have absolutely nothing against NOT glorifying defenders of slavery and oppression. It's when it snowballs and goes too far that annoys me, and scares me.

Yeah, sometimes it gets to extreme. Evergreen college is a good example of that extreme.

As for GwtW, does enough present generation care about it? I think only film buffs go to see such old films in theaters and not racist people to celebrate their history. Also GotW is not as bad as some of the other films getting mentioned.

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

I live in Louisiana and am a huge history buff. I don't give a shit if every Confederate statue gets taken down. 

The majority of the South fought to keep the federal government from telling them what to do. They had no stake in slavery because they were all poor white people. 

It was a war fought with many different ideologies. The narrative from the Left has always wanted to make it 100% about slavery, but the facts speak for themselves. 

Slavery is gone and the North won. Those are both great things. But you can't just wash over all of the causes.

They fought to kept the federal government from telling them not to have slaves! That is the thing the government was telling them not to do!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

They fought to kept the federal government from telling them not to have slaves! That is the thing the government was telling them not to do!

Yes, this was very important for the rich people in the south. Have you read anything about the American South before 1859?

Take a look at the Free State of Winn, if you want to see the attitude of the average person of the war.

People are way too oversensitive. People have the ability to appreciate the good and the bad in art, to place things in their time period and to understand that some of the attitudes and viewpoints that are expressed in older films are dated. Criticize. Reassess. Reinterpret. All that. But the current mania of banning and limiting expression is shortsighted. I don't believe in burning books, banning films or destroying history, even the things I don't agree with. GWTW is a great film and a better novel, but one of a different time with different sensibilities. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Which part was scary? The fact that frothing anti-Semities can't order Mein Kampt from a publically funded institution in the largest Jewish county in America? By nuance to free speech, I meant that public funds and private business shouldn't become a platform for open celebration of bigotry. I obviously do not believe in government led suppression or arrest of anyone, if that's what you think. 

the thought one can decide what others can and cannot read.

"public funds and private business shouldn't become a platform for open celebration of bigotry" is just another way of saying that.

people also use righteous justifications as a facade to ban things they don't like. that's a normal thing that happens when books, movies, speech, whatever

are subjected to one's subjectivity.

7 minutes ago, Chaz said:

Every soldier is always told they're protecting their freedom.

We put the truth in history books.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Immediate_Causes_Which_Induce_and_Justify_the_Secession_of_South_Carolina_from_the_Federal_Union

This is a historical document written by the leaders of the confederacy. 

Sorry but the brainwashed 17 year old confederate soldier doesn't get to define the reasons the south seceded.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Goffe said:

the thought one can decide what others can and cannot read.

"public funds and private business shouldn't become a platform for open celebration of bigotry" is just another way of saying that.

people also use righteous justifications as a facade to ban things they don't like. that's a normal thing that happens when books, movies, speech, whatever

are subjected to one's subjectivity.

I get your point, but there's practical realities. We have the budget coming up, and there's a certain allocation for libraries. Cataloging has a very limited budget, and it becomes a choice between cataloging Mein Kampf and cataloging a nice children's book about sea turtles. If someone needs a book for a school project, then they can get it through interlibrary loan. If they want to read it for pleasure, plenty of private bookstores have the choice to carry it. The government hasn't banned the book - that would be a problem. But public dollars aren't being used to prop it up, like they're being used to prop up these statues. If we can make objective judgements on technically subjective ideologies in particular cases, then we might as well just look and say "well, every opinion counts!" and eliminate action. Which is an argument! But it's one I disagree with.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Every soldier is always told they're protecting their freedom.

We put the truth in history books.

This is a historical document written by the leaders of the confederacy. 

Sorry but the brainwashed 17 year old confederate soldier doesn't get to define the reasons the south seceded.

History is written by the winners. 

And Wikipedia, apparently.

1 hour ago, Cmasterclay said:

My mom works for the library, and her department refuses to lend out shit like Mein Kampf and Protocols of the Elders of Zion without a clear written reason from a school or historical society. Rightfully so, too. They aren't just words when they're open celebrations of an ideology that led to the murder of millions. We have to be able to contextualize a difference between book burnings of "degenerate Jewish authors" and not having people wildly whooping in applause in celebration of the Confederacy.. They aren't the same. This zero-sum Reddit ideology regarding free speech gotta go. It's a debate with nuance. 

As a Jew I'd probably feel similarly uncomfortable if a theater decided to end a popular screening of Triumph of the Will. All it does is breed further resentment and alienation in the audiences affected. In this case it feels like an especially misguided approach with the subject being the movie that has still sold the most tickets of any single film ever made.

And while I haven't seen it Gone with the Wind doesn't strike me as a movie that goads audiences into whooping and hollering. 

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 2

I still find it hysterical when I see a Muslim woman wearing the hijab dancing in prom (women dancing in hijab is usually reserved for weddings or between close family members). There are hundreds of millions of Muslim women who don't wear the hijab yet that's NEVER properly represented in any blockbuster film. But, no, we see a Pakistani girl wearing the hijab jamming it up with her white boys in SMH. LOL

I do love the States. I think most of the people are pretty nice, but my God, so many (definitely not all) are so incredibly insular when it comes to the geopolitical situations and the nuances of society in other countries...particularly when it comes to the East.