Incarnadine

Theater bans Gone With The Wind for being "Insensitive"

• Community Manager
41 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Like I said, LOTR is based on medieval Europe which lands authenticity to the fantasy world. Fantasy is the best when it's based in reality. Adding Latinos (a race that didn't even exist in those times), Africans (within Euro-centric culture, not fantasy culture based on African), Asians (ditto) would not feel authentic but forced. Whether you like it or not, people understand the metaphor and that is why those stories work. They feel real because they are based on something familiar and they look familiar. The same goes for MNS ruining Avatar the Last Airbender with culturally misplaced casting. Why was Fire Nation whose ruler sat on the freakin Dragon Throne populated by Indians and Maoris? Eveyrone and their mother understand that Dragon Throne = China or at least Asia and Fire Nation was obviously a fusion of Chinese and Japanese cultures. Everything about them screamed Asians yet MNS cast Indian and Maori actors and they felt un-authentic and miscast. And don't get me started with white Inuits Katara and Sokka and white-ish or whatever Tibetan Aang. They could have cast authetic but they didn't and the mistake wasn't just in white-washing 3 characters but those Indians and Maoris were just awful too. When something doesn't fit everyone's gonna see it doesn't fit. 

Maybe not "latinos" but Hispanics were certainly a thing in medieval Europe. Anyways Tolkein actually did put dark-skinned people in LOTR and related works. They weren't all white.

• Like 1

Sometimes it feels to me that some super liberals are making the worst discriminations. Why do we need to constantly put labels on people? A film consists of actors who are all humans. By talking about whether there were black/gay/latino actors, you are the one discriminating. Diversity is important but not just for the sake of  diversity. And what If a group of white straight people were just the best for the work??

Such type of conversations are undermining the importance of the issue...

• Astonished 1

48 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Too many darkies, got it. Look I know you included the whole Last Airbender thing that I gave up on two lines in to show that you're not a racist and I believe you, I think your gripe is that you just take this fantasy shit too damn seriously and the more you try and elaborate on it the more coo-coo/borderline racist you sound. It's fine, these stories are make believe, they can be whatever we want them to be. I would love an all-black LOTR, that would be fucking badass.

I'm happy that LOTR and GoT are made as their writers intended and as their fans imagined. So there. Now they can make all black LOTR and all black GoT, no one can take the real deal from the fans. We got the most superior and faithful versions we could get and that's all that matters. :) 

@rukaio101

Funnily enough, this is actually a pitch-perfect argument for why we do need more diversity in films and portrayals. Why? Because there were black people and people of other races in Medieval Europe. Loads of them. Traders, workers, even a few minor nobles and knights here and there. They're not exactly pushed front and center in the history books, but they were there.

Yes, but they were not the exciting part of history (battles, big heroes, etc)  that people know about without having to study history nor they featured in legends that inspired many works of fiction so the writers didn't choose them for main characters in the their stories. BatB had black courtiers which is realistic for that time, but they didn't make the Prince or peasant girl Belle anything but French or it wouldn't be authentic. 

@Water bottle I think that the issue with LOTR and GoT that some raise is about the size of roles. There are Southons in LOTR but they are non-speaking parts. And there are Missandei and Grey Worm in GoT. They are not leads so that's where complaints come from. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, FantasticBeasts said:

Sometimes it feels to me that some super liberals are making the worst discriminations. Why do we need to constantly put labels on people? A film consists of actors who are all humans. By talking about whether there were black/gay/latino actors, you are the one discriminating. Diversity is important but not just for the sake of  diversity. And what If a group of white straight people were just the best for the work??

Such type of conversations are undermining the importance of the issue...

Yea that whole "we are all human!" shit is a lil different when you have to face actual real life institutional discrimination because of it. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm happy that LOTR and GoT are made as their writers intended and as their fans imagined. So there. Now they can make all black LOTR and all black GoT, no one can take the real deal from the fans. We got the most superior and faithful versions we could get and that's all that matters. :) 

@rukaio101

Yes, but they were not the exciting part of history (battles, big heroes, etc)  that people know about without having to study history nor they featured in legends that inspired many works of fiction so the writers didn't choose them for main characters in the their stories. BatB had black courtiers which is realistic for that time, but they didn't make the Prince or peasant girl Belle anything but French or it wouldn't be authentic. 

Rofl dude just literally said black people aren't exciting enough in history to be anything besides the help and said the all white versions are literally superior explicitally because of race. That bkb role being filled ably.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

So people of color weren't doing the cool, heroic shit, they were doing the dirty peasant-y shit and that's where they should stay in movies. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

@rukaio101

@Water bottle I think that the issue with LOTR and GoT that some raise is about the size of roles. There are Southons in LOTR but they are non-speaking parts. And there are Missandei and Grey Worm in GoT. They are not leads so that's where complaints come from. 

Hannibal the almost conqueror of Rome was an african. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Damn right they should have. Movie is a celebration of slavery and the Confederacy. It's a disgrace. It should be watched in American Studies classes like Birth of a Nation, not shown for pleasure and profit. 

Oh, and those statues and flags should all be burnt to the ground at once. 

I think se watched different movies

Just now, Cmasterclay said:

Yea that whole "we are all human!" shit is a lil different when you have to face actual real life institutional discrimination because of it. 

What I am trying to say is mainly that such examples are not really representative of what racism can lead us to. I don't buy that there is so predominant discrimination in Hollywood against gay or black people.

The real issue are out there with violence,bullying and other scary stuff related to discrimination. By constantly talking about things like movie casts you are undermining the issue and you are adding more to the PC bullshit that has people fed up with.

Ooh boy, this thread...

Here's what I'm assuming should be a thought exercise for most of the user base here (but not everyone): imagine that you almost never see someone who looks or sounds like you represented in mainstream films, and most of the time you do, it's a character who plays either a minor role or an antagonistic one. To find someone who looks or sounds like you as the protagonist, you're pretty much stuck with independent films that may take much more effort to find or a low-budget studio film marketed aggressively (and cynically) to "your people" (which, itself, may not be in the nearest multiplex because perhaps the multiplex in question doesn't book "that kind of movie"). Then, when a studio finally announces that a huge blockbuster will star someone who does look and sound like you, massive internet nerd fan rage ensues. "Does [Superhero] have to be [you]?" "Why are they going so PC?" "They're ruining the source material!"

Just now, Valonqar said:

Why? Because I don't like Boyega? he's awful. How come I'm not racist for disliking Chastain? :)

Your response to me saying you were wrong that Africans were never in "anything exciting" was to mock a real life historical figure. 

Just now, Mulder said:

Your response to me saying you were wrong that Africans were never in "anything exciting" was to mock a real life historical figure. 

No, I didn't know about Hannibal's ethnicity. I only know the story because of frozen elephants. That's all I really remember and hate it for animal cruelty.