WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

1 minute ago, Jeriosnal said:

DiCaprio has always cared about the quality of his films more than almost anything.  Lawrence clearly doesn't (nor do most actors and actresses).  

Lawrence popped so big, so fast is the problem. Combined with the over-abundance of the "Aw shucks!" off-screen persona - charming initially (Though I've heard rumblings even that might have been a performance in its own right), now... grating. SEE: her backstage run-in at the 2016 Golden Globes. There is certainly time to repair the damage. But first and foremost... pick better films. If you keep the quality going and keep a healthy distance from the press, the public is cool with you.

Which is what happened to DiCaprio. I'm old enough to remember "Leo-Mania" and after almost two years of that... everyone was sick of him. He faced his own PR disaster for refusing to attend the '98 Oscars after getting snubbed for Titanic (the press perceived him as a tidy baby) and his two follow-ups The Man with the Iron Mask and especially The Beach (where he got a lot of shit for earning his first $20M payday) hurt. But he rolled up his sleeves and took the correct lessons from said mistakes. From that point on, he made the decision to focus on the work and work with the best filmmakers... who will in turn get good, if not great, performances out of him... and in turn gain the public's trust back. That one-two KO of Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York in Christmas 2002 is exactly where his career-reassertion started... and everyone's loved him ever since.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

Lawrence popped so big, so fast is the problem. Combined with the over-abundance of the "Aw shucks!" off-screen persona - charming initially (Though I've heard rumblings even that might have been a performance in its own right), now... grating. SEE: her backstage run-in at the 2016 Golden Globes. There is certainly time to repair the damage. But first and foremost... pick better films. If you keep the quality going and keep a healthy distance from the press, the public is cool with you.

Which is what happened to DiCaprio. I'm old enough to remember "Leo-Mania" and after almost two years of that... everyone was sick of him. He faced his own PR disaster for refusing to attend the '98 Oscars after getting snubbed for Titanic (the press perceived him as a tidy baby) and his two follow-ups The Man with the Iron Mask and especially The Beach (where he got a lot of shit for earning his first $20M payday) hurt. But he rolled up his sleeves and took the correct lessons from said mistakes. From that point on, he made the decision to focus on the work and work with the best filmmakers... who will in turn get good, if not great, performances out of him... and in turn gain the public's trust back. That one-two KO of Catch Me If You Can and Gangs of New York in Christmas 2002 is exactly where his career-reassertion started... and everyone's loved him ever since.

I think JLaw can go down a similar path. Obviously mother! isn't a mainstream friendly film, but it's made a lot of her critics appreciate her. Red Sparrow could prove to be another good role for her, and working with Tarantino on the Manson film seems like a big win for her.

• Like 1

One of my all time favorite movies is "Om", just the symbol is the title. This movie was a freaking phenomenon back in the mid-90s in my state and is one of the best Indian gangster movies ever made IMO. Weirdly enough, it has never been released on home video, I think @jb007 had mentioned that there were plans, but I don't think they materialized

1995_Kannada_film_Om_poster.jpg

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I think JLaw can go down a similar path. Obviously mother! isn't a mainstream friendly film, but it's made a lot of her critics appreciate her. Red Sparrow could prove to be another good role for her, and working with Tarantino on the Manson film seems like a big win for her.

Absolutely she can. But... critics already liked her. mother! did her zero favors there or, where it mattered more, with the general public. She needs to focus on them. Appearing in another Goddamn X-Men film doesn't help either. She is perfectly fine as Mystique but she came back 100% for the payday and I find that foolish given the folks didn't pop to her in the role unlike her turn as Katniss. Fox literally lucked themselves out by nabbing her pre-Hunger Games explosion. 

She was attached to a comedy with Amy Schumer (also someone with PR woes) and a project for Spielberg. Those plus the possibility of doing the Charlie Manson film for QT would help. A lot. 

• Like 1

Prediction For IT:

Actual: $123.4 million ($35.3 million weekdays)

Week 2: $65.5 million ($20 million weekdays) / $244.2 million

Week 3: $38 million ($11.5 million weekdays) / $293.7 million

Week 4: $21 million ($7 million weekdays) / $321.7 million

Week 5: $12.6 million ($4.3 million weekdays) / $338.6 million

Week 6: $7.9 million ($2.8 million weekdays) / $349.3 million

Final Total: $382 million (3.1x)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

No faith in Kingsman?

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think Kingsman or Ninjago will be number 1 but IT will probably have a strong third weekend 

6 minutes ago, the beast said:

Seriously? I say it comes #3 and ninjago with 42m and kingsman with 50m+

We're less than a week to release and I don't sense any anticipation for a sequel to a generally well-liked surprise hit from just two years ago. Correct me here but I haven't seen any reviews up (compare that to The Secret Service where Fox screened it like crazy to spread WOM as far back as December '14... and it didn't drop till the following February) and frankly... there is no hook in the marketing. Looks like more of the same outside of the lazy "Remember the most recognizable actor from the first film who clearly died? Yeah... HE'S REALLY NOT DEAD!" angle. And moving from a prime slot like June to September is never a good sign (Look at what just happened to mother!

To be fair, I rewatched The Secret Service with my lovely love wife a month or so back, and it holds up. But yeah, right or wrong... I'm just not feeling it. 

• Like 1