WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 77): It 60.1M | American Assassin 14.8M | JLaw's Original Sin 7.5M

Those who are glad mother! is bombing need to realize what this means to Hollywood producers. This encourages Hollywood to make their films safer so general audiences can embrace it. You can call mother! a lazy allegory all you want, but it's a movie that's getting people to talk, think, and show passionate love and hate. We NEED more stuff like mother! to be released by the big six.

• Like 8

4 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Those who are glad mother! is bombing need to realize what this means to Hollywood producers. This encourages Hollywood to make their films safer so general audiences can embrace it. You can call mother! a lazy allegory all you want, but it's a movie that's getting people to talk, think, and show passionate love and hate. We NEED more stuff like mother! to be released by the big six.

yeah sadly, none of this is true, but you are in the anger stage so it's acceptable :)  there's been plenty of successful risky films and plenty of non successful ones, not evne saying mother is risky, but to put this on one film is reaching at tad ;) 

maybe whatever day I see this film I can be on your side about how good it is

Edited by 75livesinDerry
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Yes, this is true.

Which is why you should be watching A Cure for Wellness (2017, dir. Gore Verbinski) right now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

This seems familiar

On 7/8/2017 at 11:09 PM, That One Guy said:

I don't just want Valerian to do well, I think it NEEDS to do well.  It's the kind of movie that Hollywood rarely makes.  They rarely spend 200M+ on a little known property.  They rarely let a visionary director have full creative control.  They rarely take risks on big budget sci-fi.  Valerian is doing a lot of things that people want to see more of in Hollywood.  How many times have you seen someone on Reddit or something say how Hollywood is out of original ideas and takes no risks...before rejecting the original ideas and risks.  It's a constant pattern of people clamoring for something new, yet when they get something new, they claim it's too weird or too out of the box and don't see it.  This has become so ever-present with Valerian about to be released, and so many people shouting "BOMB!" at it, mocking it, etc. without even thinking, just for one second, to give the movie a chance.

See Valerian.  Pay for it.  Tell your friends about it if you like it.  Do this for the sake of Hollywood and taking risks.  Please.  Valerian isn't just another film to me, it's something special.  It represents one of the last chances for Hollywood to realize risks can succeed.  If it succeeds, more risks are taken in Hollywood.  If it doesn't, and this pattern continues into next year, the year after, etc., we'll be getting the same movies every year.  I just wanted to make this post because so many people have been mocking Valerian for so long and it's disheartening.  I want people to give the movie a chance.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 75livesinDerry said:

yeah sadly, none of this is true, but you are in the anger stage so it's acceptable :)

maybe whatever day I see this film I can be on your side about how good it is

I'm not mad so much at the film bombing; all my anger is at the people who are glad it's flopping.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

To play Devil's advocate, it does seem like the people celebrating mother!'s bad performance are those who really didn't like it. For the most part, at least. So you kinda have to understand why, deep down, they wouldn't want it to be successful.

That's fair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I'm not mad so much at the film bombing; all my anger is at the people who are glad it's flopping.

and I can understand that part, but that doesn't change your post :P

but I'm on your side about the glad it's flopping thing, I never get why people root for or against films like that anyway.  So we are in agreement there :) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Yes, this is true.

Which is why you should be watching A Cure for Wellness (2017, dir. Gore Verbinski) right now.

tenor.gif

Just now, grim22 said:

This seems familiar

I mean, he isn't wrong. Valerian is a VERY flawed film with a lot of passion put into it, and even if it's going to end up nowhere near my top films of the year (don't even think it's in my Top 30 atm) or have much rewatch value, it's a film I can admire somewhat.

• Like 3

I don't see why people are celebrating mother! floppage. It's sad when a unique, daring, original major movie bombs at the box office, like mother!, Cure for Wellness, and Valerian. It means we get less like them.

• Like 2

Taking the whole week together to account for different release periods:

Spidey added 77.2% of it's OW in the next 7 days.

60m 2nd weekend will give IT exactly that ratio : 95.3 Mon-Sun (35.3 Mon-Thu + 60.0 FSS) is 77.2% of 123.4 OW

OW + Mon-Sun =10-day cume

117.0 + 90.3 = 207.3

123.4 + 95.3 = 218.7

• Like 1

1 minute ago, YourMother said:

I don't see why people are celebrating mother! floppage. It's sad when a unique, daring, original major movie bombs at the box office, like mother!, Cure for Wellness, and Valerian. It means we get less like them.

Studios fund original, daring movies all the time. Sometimes you get a Black Swan, sometimes you get a mother!. As long as the entire film industry exists, there will always be a place for movies like this to be made.

• Like 4

Just now, filmlover said:

Studios fund original, daring movies all the time. Sometimes you get a Black Swan, sometimes you get a mother!. As long as the entire film industry exists, there will always be a place for movies like this to be made.

dhMeAzK.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

No, you don't get it. Mother and Valerian were the last original movies which will ever be funded by Hollywood, and we are responsible for that. @Squadron Leader Tele was present at the meeting of the Hollywood cabal where they decided that based on the performance of these 2 movies, they will never take these risks again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Just now, grim22 said:

No, you don't get it. Mother and Valerian were the last original movies which will ever be funded by Hollywood, and we are responsible for that. @Squadron Leader Tele was present at the meeting of the Hollywood cabal where they decided that based on the performance of these 2 movies, they will never take these risks again.

We're not saying original movies will cease to exist.  We're saying they won't be made as much.

• Like 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Oh fucking please.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, YourMother said:

With mother!, the movie is pretty extreme, not everyone liked what it was selling. Add in the lead star, some people have a lot of...feelings about Jennifer Lawrence and are very invested in her failure/success.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

Following IT numbers its just so exciting for me because its the first time in my life that i am following a horror movie with this kind of money making, i mean it its just insane, and i followed runs that were great for horror movies in the past, but nothing like it. For me it numers are like titanics or The Avengers or Star Wars 7, its its just insane numbers for a horror movie today.

I wasnt following box office for the time of jaws or the exorcist, so this is the first time i am following a run like that with that kind of numbers for a horror movie like IT.

This is so great and exciting. Also, as a plus i am a King fan and i loved the book.

Edited by edmkh
  • Like 1