WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

33 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Fairfax County is off if you look online...that's a huge district in the area...

Good call.  That definitely explains it...otherwise nothing does sales like that so early Friday.  2pm had 181 seats full.  Fairfax County " student holiday"... Weird...

• Like 2

LEGO Ninjago was absolute torture. The opening is nice, but by the 15 minute mark, I was DONE with this movie. The movie just throws everything out there and tries seeing what sticks, but nothing lands. There is no story to be found here; things just move one place to another without any reason. My audience wasn't into it either; the family in my row left 15 minutes in to get ice cream and never came back, and the family up front was on their phones and throwing candy at each other about halfway through the film. Ninjago might be the worst animated movie of the year, and I fucking HATED DM3

It was cool to see the Isle of Dogs trailer on the big screen though. There's that at least.

• Like 2

Update, 12:30PM: Among live action releases opening in September, Kingsman: The Golden Circle is bound to be the second-highest opening behind New Line’s mammoth It ($123.4M) with a current projected three-day of $44M per industry estimates. Note this figure does not come from Fox. Today alone, Kingsman should log around $17.5M including its $3.4M previews; still quite solid and the third best opening day for September behind It ($50.4M) and Insidious: Chapter 2 ($20.2M). Technically speaking, the second biggest opening among all September releases is Sony’s Hotel Transylvania 2 at $48.4M.

Warner Bros. has two films potentially fighting for second: The Lego Ninjago Movie at $30M for the weekend and It at $29M. Respectively both will draw $8.3M and $9M today.

Entertainment Studios

Last weekend’s holdovers: CBS/Lionsgate’s American Assassin eyeing $2M today and a second weekend of $6.5M, -56% for a 10-day total of $26.4M. Paramount’s mother! is projected at $1M today, and $3M in its second weekend, -60% for a 10-day run of $12.6M.

Entertainment Studios’ horror release Friend Request is a total loner with $2M projected for the weekend after an $800K start today (including $110K in previews).

We’ll have more updates for you later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

New TCs from BOP: http://pro.boxoffice.com/long-range-forecast-justice-league-the-star-wonder/

Blade Runner: 3,800

Mountain Between Us: 3,100

My Little Pony: 2,100

Lionsgate is feeding MLP to the wolves, goddamn. 

Not surprised. Is anyone other than My Little Pony fans gonna bother even acknowledging the movie?

Blade Runner is looking to open to similar numbers as Mad Max, all it needs is strong reviews to back it up. The Mountain Between Us is getting pretty solid reviews so far so I think it'll be leggy even if it debuts with about $12M, especially with an uneventful October looking to follow.

• Like 1

Ninjago is WAG's first critical dud, in a way it's a blessing in disguise as it means that WB won't be as overreliant on Lego for future films apart from obviously The Lego Movie Sequel. I think they should lay off on doing a Hanna Barbera shared universe until they see how Scooby does.