WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

3 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Really? Horror movies don't do much to me but that one still unsettles me to this day. There's something about a demon possessing the soul of a little girl and how well the makeup, prosthethics and atmosphere is done. The way it's told in the film, that situation could happen in any house and not even a family with a large fortune (and fame) is out of bounds.

The scene where she crab walks down the stairs is so iconic for a reason. As a viewer I wouldn't want to get near her. And Tubular Bells added so much to the experience.

But I agree on the subjective thing.

I certainly acknowledge that I am in the extreme minority when it comes to The Exorcist. I often get a lot of really surprised looks when I say to people that The Exorcist just doesn't do it for me. Most people know that the horror genre is my absolute favorite and yet in most people's opinion most iconic horror film of all time, I just can't get into. I just didn't really see anything to really scare me in that movie. Maybe it's because I find a lot of the God and Devil stuff to be a bunch of hooey but then again there are exorcism films that really do get to me. But for some reason that one is just laughable in my opinion

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Ninjago was a colossal piece of shit

Makes you appreciate the other two Lego Movies though. They could've easily turned out like Ninjago or in an even worse case Emoji Movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The Exorcist in my opinion is probably the most overhyped movie of all time. There's nothing remotely scary about it in my opinion. It's just a devil having a bad day. Didn't scare me in the least. So yes horror movies and what scares people in general is always subjective No Doubt.

The Exorcist does not hold up all that well today, but in 1973 it broke a lot of screen taboos.  Created a major controversy because how over the top the gore and gruesomeness was;nothing like it had been seen in a mainstream major studio  film before. It broke a lot of barriers for horror movies. it is one of those films that has lost a lot of it punch today, but is still one of the most important films ever made in the horror genre.

And certainly no Horror film before the Exorcist was a massive box office blockbuster the way the Exorcist was.

Yeah, it is pretty tame  by today's standards but in 1973 it was pretty shocking.

Edited by dudalb

i don't know why we are going for low 40s ow with a 17.5 friday :bourne:. had discussed this on the tracking thread:

11 hours ago, a2knet said:

What's a good preview number for Kingsman2 .... 3m?

Kingsman1 did 26x the previews over the OW (1.4 => 36.2). If this one can do 15x accounting for sequelitis and the usual yearly increase in frontloading in thursday previews, 3m should give 45m.

14-15x of previews is always on the cards in non-summer for a sequel to a movie that did 26x the previews in non-summer.

10-12x multiplier of previews is managed by tentpoles even in dead summer: War of Apes as a tri-quel managed 11.2x in July (5 => 56)

So 3.4 previews gives 48-51 ow using 14-15x with something like,

3.4 + 14.1 + 19.75 (+40%) + 12.25 (-38.0%) = 49.5 (14.5x the previews) ... compared to

1.4 + 9.0 + 15.4 (+71%) + 10.4 (-32.7%) = 36.2 (26x the previews) ... K1 (Feb)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I suspect "KIngsmen"  will  be another film that will make some money, but not enough to guarantee a sequel. A third film will probably be up in the air.

Even if Golden Circle makes as much as the first one, the movie will turn people off enough that Fox will wonder if it's even worth it to make a third.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, somebody85 said:

Double Toasted completely spoiled large portions of it. 

I don't think they spoiled anything; the only thing I remember them talking about that's close to a spoiler is something that pretty much every review is mentioning.

4 minutes ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

I certainly acknowledge that I am in the extreme minority when it comes to The Exorcist. I often get a lot of really surprised looks when I say to people that The Exorcist just doesn't do it for me. Most people know that the horror genre is my absolute favorite and yet in most people's opinion most iconic horror film of all time, I just can't get into. I just didn't really see anything to really scare me in that movie. Maybe it's because I find a lot of the God and Devil stuff to be a bunch of hooey but then again there are exorcism films that really do get to me. But for some reason that one is just laughable in my opinion

Huh! Interesting. Yeah most of the other exorcism films that came after relied more on found footage and less on makeup (at least late 90s, 2000s)...but I haven't seen a lot of the Exorcism sequels. I saw stuff like Stigmata and Event Horizon though (the latter definitely has some unsettling visuals).

I already didn't like the Exorcist because I hate needles and the scene where Regan is taken to the doctors felt pretty real. I think the best scene in the movie is where she shuts her door on her mom before any of the priests arrive. I actually felt the danger there...especially with the crab walk showing that she can move when she wants to.

I dunno, that whole innocence being compromised still gives me chills watching it and horror movies rarely unsettle me. There's something authentic about the whole thing due to how well the makeup is done (and the behind the scenes stuff is really interesting).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WrathOfHan said:

I don't think they spoiled anything; the only thing I remember them talking about that's close to a spoiler is something that pretty much every review is mentioning.

A lot of the other reviews strayed from mentioning "insert here" along with some other stuff that I did not see mentioned by Stuckmann, Jahns or What The Flick (at least I don't think so).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

IT works IMO because it has a strong story, you are rooting for The Losers to beat Pennywise and are invested in their story. Many horror films have the scares but the characters are essentially cannon fodder

I think that is true of most really good Horror films,and why although I like Horror as a genre, I don't like the slasher film sub genre. No characters you can care about.

Irony is that in the original "Halloween", John Carpenter is careful to make the main female character sympathetic.You care about her. And she fights back .

• Like 1