WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 61): Kingsman 39M | It 29.8M | Ninjago 20.4M | AA 6.3M | mother! 3.3M | Friend Request 2M (lol)

10 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

The Exorcist in my opinion is probably the most overhyped movie of all time. There's nothing remotely scary about it in my opinion. It's just a devil having a bad day. Didn't scare me in the least. So yes horror movies and what scares people in general is always subjective No Doubt.

I don't like the film because I get freaked out by anything with demonic possession 

I like Pokémon, but I disapprove of these confusing ass Pikachu emoticons. It was perfect as it was. Sorry, but some assholiness is needed for the world to be better at its job. Cuteness can suck a dick ;)

Anyway, Kingsman okay enough, but Ninjago terrible, and Friend Request is record breaking bad.

At least the holdovers are doing decent (well, not last week's holdovers, American Assassin with the expected high 50's drop, and mother! obviously not below 60%). Highlight of the weekend: Stronger, in less than 600 theaters, doing almost as much as Friend Request in over 2500. Also, Victoria & Abdul with a pretty good OW PTA, and Battle Of The Sexes with a Hidden Figures-like performance of 22.3K PTA in 21 theaters is looking like potential breakout to me.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Like 2

First of all, with the new reaction emojis I first thought that my PC had some kind of a bug. I only realised just now that they're actually Pikachu emojis. :kitschjob:

Secondly, I totally agree that WAG made way too many spinoffs and that really hurts the brand. They should've had Lego Movie 2 for this year (same spot as Lego Batman) and have Lego Batman for either next year or 2019. No Ninjago, no other spinoffs.

Thirdly, Kingsman 2 will at least be on par with the first film, which is more than a lot of sequels achieve.

• Like 1

Raising expectations to 17.5, which considering Deadline at times is conservative keeps hope of 18-18.5 alive, and then coming down to 15.7 = heart-ache.

Ended up swapping '5' and '7'.

Edited by a2knet

Nun will do fine but if WB go ahead with the Crooked Man spin-off, that could be their horror Ninjago. Horror films though have such small budgets that WB may not care much. They have a longer runway with the Conjuring spin-offs than the Lego spin-offs.

20 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Nun will do fine but if WB go ahead with the Crooked Man spin-off, that could be their horror Ninjago. Horror films though have such small budgets that WB may not care much. They have a longer runway with the Conjuring spin-offs than the Lego spin-offs.

They already had their horror Ninjago, it was Annabelle 1, and they retconned that with the sequel. Crooked Man will prevail if it has good wom.

• Like 1

look what happened to the Matrix sequels which were released in the same year.  The 3rd movie retained barely half of the 2nd, so that was the benchmark I used to predict 28 million for Ninjago, and that was even an overprediction.  You can't squeeze too much money within such a short amount of time and expect people to keep coming.  And this was more like spin-offs anyway, which usually have even worse retention (Annabelle is an anomaly).  Even Despicable Me spread out their movies to keep some retention.  I don't know why they thought this was a good idea to release two Lego movies in one year.  It's not like the reviews for them were out of this world like the LOTR, either :D 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marveldcfox said:

Meh....will end up with a little over 100M domestically. Fox has had a bad year minus Logan.

If it hits 100M domestic and has the same overseas/domestic split as the first one, then that's more than 3x its budget which would be a success.  I don't know how this constitutes as being bad.

• Like 1