Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

Just now, La Binoche said:

Am I the only one looking forward to The Mountain Between Us? I love stories of survival against the elements, and those two are always watchable. 

I'm gonna see it just for the cast but I'm not expecting much more than an enjoyable time waster.

1 minute ago, La Binoche said:

That's all I'm expecting too.  Do you know what it's tracking to open with? 

I think I saw in one of the tracking articles about Blade Runner a few days back that it's expected to open in the low-teens.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Austin Powers, each one increased.

Row Rank Title (click to view) Studio Gross / Theaters Opening / Theaters Date
1 3 Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery NL $53,883,989 2,187 $9,548,111 2,187 5/2/97
2 2 Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me NL $206,040,086 3,314 $54,917,604 3,312 6/11/99
3 1 Austin Powers in Goldmember NL $213,307,889 3,613 $73,071,188 3,613 7/26/02

Goldmember sold a bit less tickets than Spy who Shagged Me but still held up really well 

47 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

It's an adult-skewing film with good reviews and a star with an overall good quality control (with some exceptions, of course). Yeah it will have legs. 

People are still overestimating Blade Runner like crazy.

While im not sold on 55m+ yet don't you hinknthe tracking and high presales points to at least a low 40s opening? 

1 minute ago, Alli said:

it was just a bunch of scenes thrown together. not cohesive at all.  i don't understand why its doing so good.

I like the kids and some of the dynamics there, but all the actual horror elements are kinda lame,

Just now, Ethan Hunt said:

I like the kids and some of the dynamics there, but all the actual horror elements are kinda lame,

Very lame but we're living in the post Marvel age so the success of a movie cobbled together to please everyone shouldn't be surprising 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Stutterng baumer Denbrough said:

Some examples of moderate hits that had increases for the second film:

First Blood to Rambo

Austin Powers to Spy Who Shagged Me

Alien to Aliens

Terminator to T2

Bad Boys to Part 2

Blade to Blade 2

Despicable Me to DM2

Die Hard to Die Hard 2

Hunger Games to Catching Fire (another anomaly)

Ice Age to Meltdown

John Wick to Part 2

Lethal Weapon to part 2

Mad Max to Road Warrior

The Matrix to Reloaded

Mission Impossible to part 2

A Nightmare on Elm Street increased with almost every sequel

POTC to DMC

Shrek to Shrek 2

And so on

Some of these sold less tickets than their predecessors. (Aliens, MI2, Ice Age 2)

also the first POtc was huge. Definitely not just a moderate hit 

• Like 1

Sunday AM: Despite a close race among It, Kingsman: The Golden Circle and American MadeNew Line’s Stephen King movie will see its third No. 1 weekend with $17.4M, with 20th Century Fox/MARV’s Eggsy spy film battling Tom Cruise’s CIA thriller for second; each studio calling $17M a piece.

Technically speaking per industry estimates, many see Kingsman in second — and even Universal is spotting the weekend race that way with the Matthew Vaughn-directed film making at least $100K more than American Made. 

Coming away from this weekend, I’m informed that It grabbed more females than both American Made and Kingsman. However, one thing is clear and that’s no one under the age of 25 is heading out to see Tom Cruise. American Made per CinemaScore reports that only 9% under 25 bought tickets to the movie, as opposed to 91% over the age of 25. Close to half of CinemaScore’s audience was over the age of 50. Ugh. That younger audience for American Made was lost to It and Kingsman. 

http://deadline.com/2017/10/tom-cruise-emma-stone-american-made-battle-of-the-sexes-flatliners-weekend-box-office-1202179279/

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

Using a 17.4m 4th weekend and 291.3m cume for IT, the %-difference in gross-to-date compared to SMH after every weekend:

IT     SMH

3-day    123.4  117.0  +5.47%

10-day  218.8  207.3  +5.55%

17-day  266.1  251.9  +5.64%

24-day  291.2  278.2  +4.67%

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2