Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

Just now, YourMother said:

Ninjago is more disappointing. K2 might make a profit.

Fair, but Kingsman was more looking to be a "increase from its predecessor and solidify the foundation of a new franchise". Ninjago numbers should have been better too, but most people knew it was probably going to be a one-and-done spinoff of the Lego franchise.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Kingsman 2 domestic is one of the most disappointing runs in the past few months 

If it was actually good then it would've improved from its predecessor. But unfortunately it wasn't, and the sequel made me kinda want to watch Lethal Weapon 2 instead.

• Haha 1

pro.BO http://pro.boxoffice.com/early-weekend-estimates-american-made-kingsman-golden-circle-it-flatliners/

# TITLE WEEKEND   LOCATIONS   AVG. TOTAL WKS. DIST.
1 It (2017) $16,200,000 -46% 3,917 -90 $4,136 $290,072,790 4 Warner Bros. / New Line
2 Kingsman: The Golden Circle $16,100,000 -59% 4,038 35 $3,987 $65,801,588 2 Fox
3 American Made $16,000,000 3,024 $5,291 $16,000,000 1 Universal
4 The LEGO Ninjago Movie $11,900,000 -42% 4,047 0 $2,940 $35,456,065 2 Warner Bros.
5 Flatliners $5,700,000 2,552 $2,234 $5,700,000 1 Sony Pictures

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

K2 might do 3-3.5x the prod budget ww while Ninjago might not do 2x.

Agree to disagree. Ninjago is probably doing $80M-$100M OS plus $60M-$65M domestic, it'll barely get there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MrPink said:

I'm aware, the problem is that I think the 3rd film is gonna see drastic decreases in most places. Forward momentum is a thing, and it only goes so far.  There isn't going to be any of the same kind of goodwill going into the next one.

Just imagine what happened to Apes and the 3rd, except the 2nd film's gross wasn't that big to begin with.

To be fair, Apes 3 would be an easy green light given the success of Apes 2.  The problem was they did a terrible job marketing Apes 3 (and despite being the best of the three, it was the least commercially accessible of them).

Edited by The Pumpkin Spice Panda

If American Made follows Deepwater Horizon with Thursday previews removed, it makes $16,891,222

If American Made does 3x Friday with Thursday previews removed, it makes $16,282,608

The average of these two numbers is 16,586,915

Kingsman looks to be making 16.50

It looks to be making 16.20

I don't see why Flatliners will dip below 6M.

3.20, 1.70, 1.40 look spot on for (assassin, home again) and mother!  Battle of Sexes can make 3.50 if it plays out like last week. 

am I the only one here who thinks American Made is doing good?  All the headlines I read are making this seem to be a disappointment.

Edited by Matrix4You
  • Like 2

Ninjago's underperformance makes sense, I'm just a little surprised that even with a barren family market it couldn't find an audience.

I expect Pony will find the same fate next week.

This sets things up well for Coco, The Star or Daddy's Home 2 to breakout.  There's nothing for families until them (although I'll say mostly Coco, as I am expecting the other two to disappoint now).

• Like 2

Just now, Matrix4You said:

If American Made follows Deepwater Horizon with Thursday previews removed, it makes $16,891,222

If American Made does 3x Friday with Thursday previews removed, it makes $16,282,608

The average of these two numbers is 16,586,915

Kingsman looks to be making 16.50

It looks to be making 16.20

I don't see why Flatliners will dip below 6M.

3.20, 1.70, 1.40 look spot on for mother!  Battle of Sexes can make 3.50 if it plays out like last week. 

am I the only one here who thinks American Made is doing good?  All the headlines I read are making this seem to be a disappointment.

Considering the lackluster promotion (especially not having the usual Tom Cruise press tour), the competition and release date, this is doing pretty solid thus far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CJohn said:

Is Kingsman even reaching the 100M? It will suffer another 55%+ drop next weekend against BR2049. Just an awful run all around.

Nah. $93-$95 million domestic. Blade Runner was going to knock out Kingsman either way. Blade Runner could become an October record maybe. And along with Happy Death Day, those two will be the only hits in October. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Nah. $93-$95 million domestic. Blade Runner was going to knock out Kingsman either way. Blade Runner could become an October record maybe. And along with Happy Death Day, those two will be the only hits in October. 

I really hope that Only the Brave sees a mini-breakout next month. After what people in my province went through this summer, as well as thousands of others around the world, I really want to see a film dedicated to those who help fight these fires do well.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Pumpkin Spice Panda said:

This sets things up well for Coco, The Star or Daddy's Home 2 to breakout.  There's nothing for families until them (although I'll say mostly Coco, as I am expecting the other two to disappoint now).

Probably Coco with around BH6 numbers. 

The Star has a very wide range from $25M-$60M

DH2 should do Ted 2 numbers.

However I also wouldn't be surprised if Coco underperformed even with the barrenness. Disney will give it the short end of the stick in marketing and Thor and JL both seem likely for $300M+ and can attract families too.

• Like 2