Alli

Weekend thread | IT Floats again in its 4th weekend: 17.3M...Cruise and Kingsman fight it out for 2nd: 17.016 and 17.0

Flatliners doing much better at my theatre than expected. 4M (our equivalent) OD with a shot at 10M for the weekend based on saturday's #.

American Made is a HUGE overperformamce. I stopped in to drop off food for the staff and there were already people Getting tickets saying like "I heard it's really good" so WOM aid catching. 8.3M OD with 20M-22M pretty much guaranteed. 

• Like 2

Anecdotal, but my dad was the one who wanted to see American Made. I was pretty content with skipping it when it came out here but hey, he was paying.

So maybe that dad movie audience is coming out for it or something.

Edited by aabattery
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Barnack said:

Source ? I could be remember wrong, last time I checked decrease was a bit over 50% of the time for sequels in the past.

One think that helped Lords of the rings was they released during a time of growth on the domestic market,

2000: 7.66b

2001: 8.41b

2002: 9.15b

2003: 9.24b

2004: 9.38b

2005: 8,84b

Source?  Box office mojo, imdb, the-numbers.com, boxofficeguru and any other site you can do research on.

• Like 1

Some examples of moderate hits that had increases for the second film:

First Blood to Rambo

Austin Powers to Spy Who Shagged Me

Alien to Aliens

Terminator to T2

Bad Boys to Part 2

Blade to Blade 2

Despicable Me to DM2

Die Hard to Die Hard 2

Hunger Games to Catching Fire (another anomaly)

Ice Age to Meltdown

John Wick to Part 2

Lethal Weapon to part 2

Mad Max to Road Warrior

The Matrix to Reloaded

Mission Impossible to part 2

A Nightmare on Elm Street increased with almost every sequel

POTC to DMC

Shrek to Shrek 2

And so on

• Like 2

Glad that wom is powering AM nicely. It being #1 again would also be quite fun to see. Kingsman 2...... eek.

18 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Is Catching Fire the only sequel to increase from a $400m predecessor?

edit: at first glance Shrek did it adjusted

Technically The Force Awakens is a sequel to A New Hope, so nope:hahaha:

11 hours ago, DAJK said:

I really hope that Only the Brave sees a mini-breakout next month. After what people in my province went through this summer, as well as thousands of others around the world, I really want to see a film dedicated to those who help fight these fires do well.

If that movie gets released here in Portugal, it has a shot at being a pretty big hit. Wildfires have been a very recent and tragic topic here in our country, and a movie like this is handmade for our audiences. Any thoughts, @CJohn?

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, James said:

IT is looking to register some enormous OWs in both Germany (Second best OW of the year apparently) and France. It is already at 500m+ WW by Thursday. I think 700m is in the cards.

IT continues to awe me. Can't wait until it hits 300mil in North America.

1 hour ago, James said:

IT is looking to register some enormous OWs in both Germany (Second best OW of the year apparently) and France. It is already at 500m+ WW by Thursday. I think 700m is in the cards.

That is insane.