Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend topic: BOM || Happy Death Day: $26.5M || Blade Runner: $15.1M || The Foreigner: $12.8M || IT: $6M || Annabelle: Creation at $300m WW

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I don't think Robbie is going to get much of a push or campaign from Neon. I don't think they're capable and if the movie was a serious awards contender another distributor would have picked it up for more than $3m

Yeah...why no big studio picked up after the buzz coming from Toronto

Edited by XO21
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I feel like Jordan Peele has a better chance Tbh considering his film is pretty much locked for a picture nominated athe this point (and honestly in the wildest of scenarios  I could see it winning)

I can see Get Out being like Straight Outta Compton. A lot of hype for noms but then only gets Screenplay. 

11 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Blade Runner is more likely a Saturday or Sunday kind of movie because of how long it is.

Been saying this too.  For most of the demo, Friday after work is tough to cram this in given the length and that it's not really the type of movie you want to "cram in." This weekend drop isn't so bad considering last weekend previews were such a large piece of the weekend and Columbus day.  Next weekend hopefully has a much softer drop

3 minutes ago, XO21 said:

Yeah...why no big studio picked up after the buzz coming from Toronto

Most studios already have their slates full:

A24: They're already struggling to find a clear #1 push between Lady Bird, Florida Project, and Disaster Artist; a fourth film would be a nightmare.

Amazon: The Big Sick will be their #1 with the mixed reception of Wonder Wheel and Last Flag Flying, but again, they had a full-looking slate at the time of TIFF.

Focus: Darkest Hour/Phantom Thread/Victoria and Abdul is enough for one year.

Fox: The Post is their main contender, and the rest of their fall/winter slate is packed onto the schedule.

Fox Searchlight: The Shape of Water and Three Billboards are frontrunners to win BP, and Sexes is proof they can't handle more than those two this year.

Paramount: They don't really do festival acquisitions. I imagine they would make this their #1 if they had gotten it, but they seem content pushing mother!

Sony: They don't have any big contenders, but like Fox, they do have a full schedule.

Sony Classics: Call Me by Your Name is their priority for a reason.

STX: Maybe they could have picked this up, but they already have Molly's Game.

Universal: Like Paramount, they don't do acquisitions. Plus, they have Get Out.

WB: Dunkirk and Blade Runner are enough for them.

I think it's a good thing Neon picked up I, Tonya because it can establish them into something bigger.

• Like 2