Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

17 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Awful origins of Jacob and Smoke Monster episode. It seems to exist to explain things and instead it created a tsunami of questions without explaining anything. Allyson Janney just made some random vudu magic and they can't leave the island or kill each other because of it. Oh, and the brother is dead after all and Jacob is the one that unleashed the monster lmao.

That episode was HATED when it came out. It was such a bullshit episode, especially since it came right on the heels of that Trifecta Gutpunch.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

That episode was HATED when it came out. It was such a bullshit episode, especially since it came right on the heels of that Trifecta Gutpunch.

It deserves all the hate it got. It is a trash episode.

• Like 1

2 EPISODES TO GO.

Jack is coming to lead the island while Fake Locke went from giving the island to Ben to destroy it in two scenes.

Meanwhile characters are dying left and right with Charles Widmore and especially Richard leaving us unceremoniously.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Man, y'alls are a buncha basics. j1aUlyv.gif

(@CJohn @4815162342 @Plain Old Tele)

The absolute last thing LOST needed was a weak mumbo jumbo sideshow episode that stuck a finger in the eye of audience by going "you're upset and grieving and want answers so here are the least satisifying answers possible" RIGHT BEFORE THE SERIES FINALE

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The absolute last thing LOST needed was a weak mumbo jumbo sideshow episode that stuck a finger in the eye of audience by going "you're upset and grieving and want answers so here are the least satisifying answers possible" RIGHT BEFORE THE SERIES FINALE

Oh god, that awful episode.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14579006

Partially... Okay, mostly, at my own expense. 

Mind, I 100% believe that the reaction to it was waaaaaaaay overblown, but I realize I am in a distinct minority.  But my comment was a joke.

(mostly ;))

• Disbelief 1

34 minutes ago, Porthos said:

tenor.gif?itemid=14579006

Partially... Okay, mostly, at my own expense. 

Mind, I 100% believe that the reaction to it was waaaaaaaay overblown, but I realize I am in a distinct minority.  But my comment was a joke.

(mostly ;))

*sees reaction from Numbers*

Jeeez, tough crowd.

Fine.

giphy.gif

That better in showing that I am making fun of myself? :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*sees reaction from Numbers*

Jeeez, tough crowd.

Fine.

giphy.gif

That better in showing that I am making fun of myself? :lol: 

The scars of that baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad episode are still fresh.

• Sad 1

I will see the series finale today. I admit that Jacob origins episode left a really bad taste in my mouth so close to the end, but I am ready to see how it all unfolds.

• Like 1

LINDELOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF

So the flashsideways were heaven? After everyone had lived their life? 

WHAT DID I JUST WATCH FOR 6 SEASONS. IT WAS PERFECT, I WANT MORE.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Sorta. It's mumbojumbo but their souls basically created a pocket universe for them all to meet up and reconnect before moving on to the afterlife.

It's silly but on an emotional level they nailed it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Lindelof: From a writerly standpoint, it’s impossible for me to convey to you in words what the rules of the sideways were, other than to say we called it a bardo in the writers’ room, which was largely based on a construct in the Tibetan Book of the Dead, which is this idea that when you die, you experience an afterlife where you do not know that you are dead, and the entire purpose of that afterlife is for you to come to the awareness that you have died.

I was able to give the show so much rope in the sideways because it was literally the place that they made together so that they could find each other. Contrivance and Dickensian coincidence, which is the stuff that we loved so much in the show, was really able to allow its freak flag to fly in that material.

From:  Lost: An Oral History of the Daring, Divisive 'The End'  (Vulture)

Really fantastic, and at many times frank, interview about the roller coaster adventure that was making a show called LOST.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED reading now that you're done with the show.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Sorta. It's mumbojumbo but their souls basically created a pocket universe for them all to meet up and reconnect before moving on to the afterlife.

It's silly but on an emotional level they nailed it.

It may be mumbo jumbo but not only does it work on an emotional level, on a re-watch there are a ton of little clues that this is a place where folks come to grips with their past life.  At least in part.

Take the ever wonderful Ben.  One thing I was struck by on the re-watch I recently had is that on his time on The Island, Ben will do anything to get and maintain power, including sacrificing his, shall we say, "adopted" daughter.  Despite all his very real flaws (like the whole murder left and right thing), he clearly loved Alex.

In the "flash-sideways" world, he had a chance to sacrifice Alex again for personal power.  This time, he didn't.

365ec212d9a87cc26f39073b42543401.gif

That's only one example.  There are others where characters aren't ready to come to grips with their past and want to stay behind.  Eloise Hawking is perfectly aware of where she is and what is going on.  But she can't bear to lose the life she never had with her son.  So she selfishly stays behind because she's "not ready yet".

Season Six wasn't perfectly executed, as even a dedicated LOST Shill and Apologist like Yours Truly can see the seams and where things didn't quite work.

But aside from little things here and there it's utterly amazing just how well this show stands up on a re-watch.   Especially when it comes to character themes. It is very apparent on a re-watch when they said "this isn't working, time for a swerve", like that whole cabin business which doesn't quite fit with how the metaplot turned out.

But the vast majority of the show works.  Far far farrrr more than it had any right to.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1