Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

He's using a source that promotes COVID and vaccine conspiracies.

Ah, didn't see his source website. It's like one of those websites which gets people in through things they agree with before escalating stuff. Like how Jenny McCarthy keeps saying "Let's fight autism" which is a thing people will agree with, without saying it's anti-vaxx.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Ah, didn't see his source website. It's like one of those websites which gets people in through things they agree with before escalating stuff. Like how Jenny McCarthy keeps saying "Let's fight autism" which is a thing people will agree with, without saying it's anti-vaxx.

That's how most of these sites work, but I'm pretty sure the reason Phil Lord agrees is because he comes from a family of Cuban plantation (slave) owners.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Well I mean "Let's fight autism" also has a lot of toxic and gross implications too, but I get where you are coming from though.

3 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Well I mean "Let's fight autism" also has a lot of toxic and gross implications too, but I get where you are coming from though.

Hey, my daughter was evaluated for being on the spectrum for the past 3 months. So I've been in the weeds about autism and learning about corresponding behavioral issues for nuerodivergent individuals.

Autism Speaks is a great organization and everyone should donate to them 

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hey, my daughter was evaluated for being on the spectrum for the past 3 months. So I've been in the weeds about autism and learning about corresponding behavioral issues for nuerodivergent individuals.

Dude I’m autistic. And as an autistic, let me tell you the mainstream ideals that autism is something that must be cured is hurtful, anti-disability stuff

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Didn't Autism Speaks find themselves at the center of controversy not too long ago over PSAs featuring the autistic Sesame Street muppet where the people who helped create the character cut ties with Sesame Workshop over their association with the company?

Edit: to answer my own question yes they did: Sesame Street autism controversy: Julia is a great character, but the show must end its partnership with Autism Speaks. (slate.com)

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Didn't Autism Speaks find themselves at the center of controversy not too long ago over PSAs featuring the autistic Sesame Street muppet where the people who helped create the character cut ties with Sesame Workshop over their association with the company?

Edit: to answer my own question yes they did: Sesame Street autism controversy: Julia is a great character, but the show must end its partnership with Autism Speaks. (slate.com)

They have been good to work with, and are by far the biggest autism advocacy group in the US I think. No idea about this controversy, and it makes sense why it's a flashpoint for sure. 

43 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Dude I’m autistic. And as an autistic, let me tell you the mainstream ideals that autism is something that must be cured is hurtful, anti-disability stuff

I don't think the ideal is to "cure" those who don't need "curing" and can fully participate in society.

It's probably more intended as a cure for those who can't participate fully in society.  My adult nephew and niece are moderately and severely autistic.  My nephew, even moderately autistic, needs no "cure" - he's fully participating in society and is doing wonderfully.  He has a job, performs in theater, and is a wonderful family member.

However, my niece, as a non-verbal severe autistic, cannot fully function in society.  She has a verbal communication device, which has been a godsend, but even then, she is very limited in her "speech" and how she can be a part of society, and that greatly frustrates her many times - her inability to share what she is thinking/feeling/wants, etc.  And her inability to perform tasks which she wants to perform.  Life skills do not come easily or at all for her.  If we could have an autism cure that would mitigate those elements which lead to her own frustration and inability to be a fully participating adult in society, that would be amazing.

I think that's what people want when they say they want a "cure".  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, grim22 said:

Looks like Phil realized

You know the world is going backwards when you have to apologise to grown adults minds for sharing a post on twitter. 

Reminds me of when they tried getting JK rowling to apologie after sharing a an online store that seemed to mock pronouns. Some people just get a kick out of complaining 

Edited by Chicago

22 minutes ago, Eric E Coyote said:

Hunger Games could never :ph34r: 

I mean, the entire Twilight phenomenon is going to be among the things future generations will discover when looking back at what dominated pop culture in the late-2000s/early-2010s so I can't say I'm surprised they already have a nostalgic association with them, especially when they put Pattinson (who is on track for a huge run this decade) on the map.

I HAVE STARTED SEASON 6 AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IS GOING ON. FAKE JOHN TURNED INTO THE SMOKE MONSTER. REAL JOHN IS ACTUALLY DEAD. PARALLEL TIMELINE WHERE EVERYONE IS OK AT THE PLANE. FUCKING LINDELOF I SWEAR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4