Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

7 minutes ago, Tree Billboards said:

I thought exploitation meant a cheap genre movie.? i was referring to Duel and Jaws. Which along with Raiders are his best films.

Lot of people made exploitation movie involving sharks after Jaws trying to exploit the zeitgest for a quick buck, but when Jaws first released it was not a popular genre yet I think, not an easy attempt to cash on a trend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Blow those fake fans OUT OF THE SKY!!!

Pffft.  Real Star Wars fans will also admit that  A New Hope itself is merely 'all right' and only The Empire Strikes Back is worthy of the name 'Star Wars'. j1aUlyv.gif 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Look at my school, at it again!

https://www.gwhatchet.com/2018/02/01/university-looking-into-racist-snapchat-post-depicting-sorority-members/?platform=hootsuite

Every school needs to go the FSU route and just get rid of Greek life STAT. An exclusionary, archaic institution. 

• Like 1

Kendrick and SZA's song for Black Panther is fairly eh despite the talent involved, but the new song for it with Jay Rock is hard as fuck. God damn, this shit thumps as hard as anything on DAMN. Which means the more boring song that got released first is def getting that original song Oscar nom. 

1 hour ago, Tree Billboards said:

I thought exploitation meant a cheap genre movie.? i was referring to Duel and Jaws. Which along with Raiders are his best films.

It does, but neither DUEL nor JAWS were cheap -- not on the scale of exploitation movies, at least. DUEL had a pretty solid budget for a made-for-TV movie, and JAWS was an adaptation of a best-selling novel. Exploitation films in that era would cost a couple hundred thousand or less, and would be way more gratuitous in terms of nudity, gore, or anything else they could use to titillate the audience.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Kendrick and SZA's song for Black Panther is fairly eh despite the talent involved, but the new song for it with Jay Rock is hard as fuck. God damn, this shit thumps as hard as anything on DAMN. Which means the more boring song that got released first is def getting that original song Oscar nom. 

Definitely need to see Future perform that at the oscars. can imagine the cut to Judi Dench looking confused in the audience already.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

CHVRCHES' new single is pretty solid. Can see it becoming something I really jam to after a few listens.

not into it right now. i think i might warm to it but all their other singles were such immediate love at first listens for me. it's just maybe a little too basic.

3 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Temple of Doom is pretty close to exploitation.

Eh, I think it's disqualified by budget and pedigree alone -- exploitation movies aren't made by major studios and they don't feature one of the biggest movie stars on the planet at that time. Content isn't the only qualifier (and even then, while TOD's pretty dark for mass entertainment and/or family film, it's not remotely close to dark compared to general exploitation fare).

7 minutes ago, Just Tele said:

Eh, I think it's disqualified by budget and pedigree alone -- exploitation movies aren't made by major studios and they don't feature one of the biggest movie stars on the planet at that time. Content isn't the only qualifier (and even then, while TOD's pretty dark for mass entertainment and/or family film, it's not remotely close to dark compared to general exploitation fare).

I wasn't talking about the "darkness" per se, more about the plot involving one ethnic stereotype after another.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I'm still not a fan of what's apparently their big hit song in "The Mother We Share". Was only once I really delved into their album that I started to really like them. I think the ones I enjoy most are where Mayberry shows off her vocal range.

i might be a casual but that's still my favourite song of their's. i remember even distinctly the first time i heard it on the radio while i was driving at night coming out of oxford shit blew me away.