Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jessica Jones S2 only has a 71 on Metacritic. The Netflix MCU stuff really went downhill, eh?

Lets not pretend they were actualy ever good. People were just brainwashed to give it good reviews. I dropped it a long time ago and never looked back. The CW DC shows, Gotham and Agents of SHIELD are way more entertaining than that crap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

Cloverfield was utter crap. It didn't raise any questions other than how the fuck did it cost $45 million to make? Or is that just the price Netflix bought it for.

It cost 45M to make. Netflix payed 50M for it, I think. Instant profit for Paramount.

4 hours ago, DAJK said:

So I guess I'm not as confident at finding a place as I was before and Im getting nervous :( I could really use some advice.

So my 2 friends I've had since grade 6, one guy one girl, are all looking for a place in Victoria for September to go to university. We had looked at a place to rent last night and contacted the person, it was a 10 minute bus ride to the Uni 3 bedrooms, it's 1950 a month furnished so 650 each. Problem is they want us down there this weekend but none of us can make it cause, well, its MANY hours away to get there we just couldn't make the trip this weekend... and by the time we could make it aka next weekend, likely the place would be gone. So keep looking I guess... or should we bend over backwards for this place. Is it really that unique/worth it

Then my parents said they would be interested in maybe buying a place for my friends and I as a sort of long term investment and the three of us would split the mortgage payments. Using a mortgage calculator we could get a 400 000 dollar place and it would cost us 650 a month each. But our budgets are about 750 each so we could pretty much go as high as 450k but how easy it'll be to find a 3 bedroom place for that I have no idea. One of my friend's parents expressed interest in maybe going in on that 50/50 with my parents but idk if that would be a good idea even... would it?

And then today my friend had 2 girls in his bio class say they were looking for a place next year they found one its 5 bedroom and it would cost us each, what do you know, 650 a month. They asked if the 3 of us wanted in on it and yea that would be a sweet deal its a huge place but idk about living with 2 people I've never met... and 5 people in general that's a lot. You never know when someone might move out unexpectedly and leave the rest with the rent. And with EVERY rental its a one year thing so we would have to stay there in summer even though our families live elsewhere. 

And with buying a place we have somewhere guaranteed till we finish school. Our parents could make our money back, and my parents are selling the house we live in now and moving to an apartment so we have tons of furniture to bring. Sure we could still pay rent in summer but it'd be a place that like our families could have so like if the three of us weren't staying there permanently in summer it would be a place to have. Or we could sublet it out during summers... idk. I don't know about any of this, does anyone have any advice?

I've never heard of students buying a house for uni, is that normal in America? I know you have those "frat house" things that I've seen in movies but I assume those are second homes from rich parents?

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

It cost 45M to make. Netflix payed 50M for it, I think. Instant profit for Paramount.

Jesus. It cost twice the original Cloverfield to make. It looks like the VFX had a budget of $45 dollars.

3 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

I've never heard of students buying a house for uni, is that normal in America? I know you have those "frat house" things that I've seen in movies but I assume those are second homes from rich parents?

Canada 

His parents will use their existing assets as collateral and @DAJKand his friends will cover mortgage payments. 

At the end of college his parents could keep the place as an investment or sell it. 

someone want to explain to me how there's a movie with Charlize Theron, Joel Edgerton and David Oyewlowo coming out and it's gonna be doing $3M opening according to everyone? How does that happen. David Oyelowo & Mexican cartel vs. Evil Boss Charlize Theron sounds epic to me.

18 minutes ago, Treeing Me Apart said:

someone want to explain to me how there's a movie with Charlize Theron, Joel Edgerton and David Oyewlowo coming out and it's gonna be doing $3M opening according to everyone? How does that happen. David Oyelowo & Mexican cartel vs. Evil Boss Charlize Theron sounds epic to me.

1. It looks mediocre

2. Amazon and STX are dumping it with little fanfare

3. The initial TC was 1,500 theaters before getting bumped up to 2,400

4. It's only tracking for a 3-4M opening

Gringo looks pretty lame despite a great cast tbh. These are the kinds of movies that I'm sure will be pushed to streaming instead of theaters in the future due to the studios having no faith in them, it already feels like we're moving in that direction with things like The Cloverfield Paradox, etc.

8 hours ago, DAJK said:

So I guess I'm not as confident at finding a place as I was before and Im getting nervous :( I could really use some advice.

So my 2 friends I've had since grade 6, one guy one girl, are all looking for a place in Victoria for September to go to university. We had looked at a place to rent last night and contacted the person, it was a 10 minute bus ride to the Uni 3 bedrooms, it's 1950 a month furnished so 650 each. Problem is they want us down there this weekend but none of us can make it cause, well, its MANY hours away to get there we just couldn't make the trip this weekend... and by the time we could make it aka next weekend, likely the place would be gone. So keep looking I guess... or should we bend over backwards for this place. Is it really that unique/worth it

Then my parents said they would be interested in maybe buying a place for my friends and I as a sort of long term investment and the three of us would split the mortgage payments. Using a mortgage calculator we could get a 400 000 dollar place and it would cost us 650 a month each. But our budgets are about 750 each so we could pretty much go as high as 450k but how easy it'll be to find a 3 bedroom place for that I have no idea. One of my friend's parents expressed interest in maybe going in on that 50/50 with my parents but idk if that would be a good idea even... would it?

And then today my friend had 2 girls in his bio class say they were looking for a place next year they found one its 5 bedroom and it would cost us each, what do you know, 650 a month. They asked if the 3 of us wanted in on it and yea that would be a sweet deal its a huge place but idk about living with 2 people I've never met... and 5 people in general that's a lot. You never know when someone might move out unexpectedly and leave the rest with the rent. And with EVERY rental its a one year thing so we would have to stay there in summer even though our families live elsewhere. 

And with buying a place we have somewhere guaranteed till we finish school. Our parents could make our money back, and my parents are selling the house we live in now and moving to an apartment so we have tons of furniture to bring. Sure we could still pay rent in summer but it'd be a place that like our families could have so like if the three of us weren't staying there permanently in summer it would be a place to have. Or we could sublet it out during summers... idk. I don't know about any of this, does anyone have any advice?

First option sounds good aside from the tight deadline. I have no idea how uniquely good it is, it would take someone with knowledge of the local rental market.

Second option I don't know the local market at all although a Google search pulled up some stuff. Median detached home in Victoria is $800k-$900k though, and if you're going to University of Victoria it's also around the same in Saanich. I strongly suspect you won't find a three-bedroom home for less than $500k-$600k anywhere near the university. But check the listings. Ultimately I think it depends on your parents being willing and able to absorb some of the costs in addition to what you and friends would be paying.

Third option doesn't sound like that big of a deal to me, I lived with three other people when I went to to uni and others lived with four. Difference was that they were individual contracts for rent rather than a contract for a house, but I know people who went elsewhere (not U of T, homes in downtown Toronto with affordable rent, good joke) that did that. Think it was with people they already knew though. Ultimately depends on your comfort level.

• Thanks 1