Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I'm literally too OCD for the brackets. I'd still be trying to fill one out right now. I could maybe predict a Final Four, that's not bad, but trying to decide if St. Johns Aquinas Bonaventura is going to upset Duke or not in a 64 team bracket, yeah no fam.

I took fivethirtyeights odds then looked for the best potential upsets and went with that.  It’s working out well for me so far, I’m still in the 99th percentile.  But everything could go to hell if Gonzaga loses, have them winning.

Wouldn’t ever bet real money on this though, it’s too random and chaotic.

Edited by The Mad Panda

I love how college basketball has so much parity come tournament time. Talladega Tech Community College really could beat North Carolina. Rural Iowa A&M could beat Kentucky. It could happen. As much as I love college football, the smaller teams never have a chance. You saw how UCF was treated this year and they're D1. It's always the same 6 teams in football, basketball there's always some surprises mixed in with the blue bloods.

Bama vs Mercer football? 80-3. Bama vs Mercer basketball? 67-66. Makes for such a fun product.

5 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

I love how college basketball has so much parity come tournament time. Talladega Tech Community College really could beat North Carolina. Rural Iowa A&M could beat Kentucky. It could happen.

Erm, I really dunno about this at all. There's a reason even the (pretty good) 16 seeds have never won.

At least in CFB you have stuff like App State beating Michigan.

1 hour ago, Trolltastic Tele said:

Erm, I really dunno about this at all. There's a reason even the (pretty good) 16 seeds have never won.

At least in CFB you have stuff like App State beating Michigan.

App vs Michigan was a statistical once in a few generations type thing, if even that. At least with basketball, these smaller teams can much more easily show off their skills and match up and they can hang with the big boys. 5 on 5 is easier shooting a ball into a hoop than than 11 on 11 no stars sprinting vs 5-stars.

Sure a 16 seed in the F4 is more unlikely than a neckbeard getting with Tyra Banks, but at least the competition is typically still there.

2017:

Alabama vs Mercer - 56-0

Penn State vs Georgia State - 56-0

Clemson vs Citadel - 61-3

FSU vs Delaware State - 77-6.

College basketball is not as close to severe in terms of blowouts, in and out of the tournament.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Started reading The Disaster Artist. Enjoying the hell out of it but also I don't really see how its exact tone could be faithfully translated to film. (And tone is very important here.)

SPOILER: it wasn't.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

App vs Michigan was a statistical once in a few generations type thing, if even that. At least with basketball, these smaller teams can much more easily show off their skills and match up and they can hang with the big boys. 5 on 5 is easier shooting a ball into a hoop than than 11 on 11 no stars sprinting vs 5-stars.

Sure a 16 seed in the F4 is more unlikely than a neckbeard getting with Tyra Banks, but at least the competition is typically still there.

2017:

Alabama vs Mercer - 56-0

Penn State vs Georgia State - 56-0

Clemson vs Citadel - 61-3

FSU vs Delaware State - 77-6.

College basketball is not as close to severe in terms of blowouts, in and out of the tournament.

Besides college football. College sports in general have a lot of parity.