Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

The problem with the Oscars Show is that people don’t give a fuck about awards shows anymore. You can find out the winners 5 seconds after they win.

The problem with the Oscars is that they nominate movies most people are comfortable watching at home rather than at the cinema.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AJG said:

Does anyone remember The Artist? When was the last time you heard anyone talk about that movie? 

Think about that movie when I watch Wolf of Wall Street. Love Dujardin in both.

The Artist

Another bought Oscar for Harvey and Bob

The Pet Rock of movies

The worst film to win best picture. 

Shakespeare in Love and Moonlight are a close second.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In terms of my personal experience and talking to people I would say the films like 12 years a slave, Argo, King's Speech likely the most know well known of the best pic winners this decade.

I have run into very few people in comparison who know of or seen a film like Birdman, Spotlight, Artist, Moonlight Shape of the Water and such. 

Of course, this is all subjective to my experience. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

Just now, AJG said:

The problem with the Oscars Show is that people don’t give a fuck about awards shows anymore. You can find out the winners 5 seconds after they win.

The problem with the Oscars is that they nominate movies most people are comfortable watching at home rather than at the cinema.

are movies most people are comfortable watching at the cinema inherently better than those they'd rather watch at home?

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The issue is ten years ago the debate would be over ratings and box office about the relevancy of the Oscars but now such an opinion has a political undertone about being against "liberal Hollywood" or standing up the "alt Right". 

you can think that as much as you like but I think it's more that awards shows among many other live TV programmes are collapsing. I mean the grammies don't have the politicising of the Oscars and their ratings are dropping each year right? Live TV news is used less and less and award ceremonies are no exception. anyone interested in them can stream them online or just find results by a quick google search. 

12 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I mean, five BP winners post ROTK made 100M.

That doesn't mean they are popular and well known with the general public. The Kings Speech and The Artist for example were for a very specific demographic. THe same way that Girls Trip made 100M last year... doesn't mean the average member of public has seen it/ aware of it

1 minute ago, AJG said:

The Kings Speech won an Oscar???? For what?

best picture, colin firth got his  a a a a a ac ting osc c c c c c ar, also pretty sure Tom Hooper got best director

Alright I've slept on it a little and made a decision.

I'm not going to leave the forums entirely.  However, my activity will decrease and my posts will probably be restricted to the CCT (which is more or less the only (mostly) tolerable thread on here).  I still don't want to have to listen to the ""conversations"" that make this forum insufferable, so I'll probably just never enter any other thread other than this one.

Also fuck EmpireCity.  And fuck the people who encouraged him by liking all the posts where he attacked other users.  Just because you give numbers doesn't give you excuses to be an intolerable ----.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Alright I've slept on it a little and made a decision.

I'm not going to leave the forums entirely.  However, my activity will decrease and my posts will probably be restricted to the CCT (which is more or less the only (mostly) tolerable thread on here).  I still don't want to have to listen to the ""conversations"" that make this forum insufferable, so I'll probably just never enter any other thread other than this one.

Also fuck EmpireCity.  And fuck the people who encouraged him by liking all the posts where he attacked other users.  Just because you give numbers doesn't give you excuses to be an intolerable ----.

A new Mortal Engines trailer is out :Venom: 

I think the Academy dropped the ball with not giving Best Picture to Get Out this year. I didn't personally like it as much as Shape of Water (or a few other nominees), but it tapped into the zeitgeist more ferociously than any other of this year's nominees or any nominees of the last several years.

• Like 2

Just now, Webslinger said:

I think the Academy dropped the ball with not giving Best Picture to Get Out this year. I didn't personally like it as much as Shape of Water (or a few other nominees), but it tapped into the zeitgeist more ferociously than any other of this year's nominees or any nominees of the last several years.

they've been dropping this particular ball for decades.

• Like 1