Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

1 hour ago, AJG said:

The release of The Bubble made me ponder how COVID storytelling developed. Its almost like Marvel Phases.

Phase 1. Shows drastically altering or shutting down production to laughable results (Empire finale, The Blacklist)

Phase 2. Shows and Movies made in lockdown about COVID (Michael Bay's Songbird / NBC's Connecting [which was promptly cancelled]).

Phase 3. Mainstream Shows having COVID 'special' episodes (which were derided online).

Phase 4. Shows only briefly acknowledging COVID (Insecure)

Phase 5. Shows acting like Lockdown never even happened (Succession).

Best phase. Phase 4 was fucking stupid as hell, I remember watching Gossip Girl, And Just Like That and YOU and everyone was pretending COVID was over after 1 year and meanwhile there was a giant wave happening in the real world and tons of restrictions being put back in place in a lot of countries.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

The release of The Bubble made me ponder how COVID storytelling developed. Its almost like Marvel Phases.

Phase 1. Shows drastically altering or shutting down production to laughable results (Empire finale, The Blacklist)

Phase 2. Shows and Movies made in lockdown about COVID (Michael Bay's Songbird / NBC's Connecting [which was promptly cancelled]).

Phase 3. Mainstream Shows having COVID 'special' episodes (which were derided online).

Phase 4. Shows only briefly acknowledging COVID (Insecure)

Phase 5. Shows acting like Lockdown never even happened (Succession).

Lindsay Ellis did a whole retrospective on 9/11 and how it was portrayed in pop culture through the years and COVID is following the same event to a tee, right down to all the South Park episodes making fun of this. Within the next 10 years, we'll get some boring Showtime miniseries about Anthony Fauci (probably starring John Lithgow or some other old dude who's super liberal), some crappy Netflix romantic drama about two lovers torn apart by COVID and then some horrible Oscar bait movie about a family struggling to survive the lockdowns and their abusive anti-masker uncle or whatever the fuck. This is gonna suck

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Eric the Living Vampire said:

Lindsay Ellis did a whole retrospective on 9/11 and how it was portrayed in pop culture through the years and COVID is following the same event to a tee, right down to all the South Park episodes making fun of this. Within the next 10 years, we'll get some boring Showtime miniseries about Anthony Fauci (probably starring John Lithgow or some other old dude who's super liberal), some crappy Netflix romantic drama about two lovers torn apart by COVID and then some horrible Oscar bait movie about a family struggling to survive the lockdowns and their abusive anti-masker uncle or whatever the fuck. This is gonna suck

Borat 2 did Covid better than almost anything else will manage to, and it did it as it was happening.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Borat 2 did Covid better than almost anything else will manage to, and it did it as it was happening.

I would say the same about 9/11 and Spike Lee's 25th Hour that was also in production while it happened.

• Like 2

Thought the Olivia de Havilland lawsuit had killed another season of this for good (you can't find Bette & Joan on any streaming service) so surprised by this news. Hopefully this gives Watts the career revival she deserves after that Game of Thrones spin-off pilot (not House of the Dragon) was passed on.

• Like 1

• Community Manager
9 hours ago, Porthos said:

I am no longer the Resident SW Shill and Apologist tho. :sadfleck:

(seriously though, hope User Titles come back at some point, as they were a fun perk)

Sorta restored. It's on your profile page only for now. Will try to figure out how to get it so that it's with every post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Thought the Olivia de Havilland lawsuit had killed another season of this for good (you can't find Bette & Joan on any streaming service) so surprised by this news. Hopefully this gives Watts the career revival she deserves after that Game of Thrones spin-off pilot (not House of the Dragon) was passed on.

That silly lawsuit was instantly dismissed (which was always going to happen but the media ignored it).

Im guessing Feud was in one of those weird old deals that affected where it streamed.

53 minutes ago, filmlover said:

It's a bit crazy how fast the Ryan Murphy shows fell off on both FX and Netflix. They had a miniseries about Clinton and Lewinsky and it did not even get social media chatter, let alone the real world ratings. Feud was shut out everywhere in Season 1 so not expecting S2 to fare much better, and all of his Netflix efforts have been bad for ratings and reviews.

Maybe the Ryan Murphy moment the USA had for a few years from Glee till OJ Simpson is over.

20 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's a bit crazy how fast the Ryan Murphy shows fell off on both FX and Netflix. They had a miniseries about Clinton and Lewinsky and it did not even get social media chatter, let alone the real world ratings. Feud was shut out everywhere in Season 1 so not expecting S2 to fare much better, and all of his Netflix efforts have been bad for ratings and reviews.

Maybe the Ryan Murphy moment the USA had for a few years from Glee till OJ Simpson is over.

Shonda Rhimes still undefeated! I think she's the only producer who got one of those giant Netflix megadeals and actually generated huge hits out of it. Kenya Barris only made one show that nobody liked and dipped out immediately after, and whatever the Game of Thrones boys will make is destined to be a Cowboy Bebop-style one-season wonder.

31 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I watched it and can tell everyone that they weren't missing much lol.

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Okay restored. Any member can edit it as well. :) 

No more 10,000 post barrier? 

Wow.  No longer an exclusive club member.  LAME. :sadno:

(j/k ya da best, wb 👍)

Edited by Porthos

• Community Manager
2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

No more 10,000 post barrier? 

Wow.  No longer an exclusive club member.  LAME. :sadno:

(j/k ya da best, wb 👍)

They removed the ability for me to put a post barrier lol. Also it changed so you'll get your rank AND your title so it's just different now. We may at some point add more ranks and allow users to earn achievements with this new system.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

They removed the ability for me to put a post barrier lol. Also it changed so you'll get your rank AND your title so it's just different now. We may at some point add more ranks and allow users to earn achievements with this new system.

I think the only constructive criticism I would offer is seeing if you can get rid of the field that says member title and just have the member title itself there. 

If that's not possible, no worries.  Just looks a little weird and disjointed currently.  Nbd, just a minor bit of user feedback.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

I'd appreciate for likes to be displayed again so people can know my ratio is strong and good and that people "like" my content and is in no way manipulated.

MrPink proving once again that he is the Poster's People's Champion! 👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Honest question what was the reason for removing the like count from the display?

Probably just the default for this version of the software. Couple of other forums I haunt with this software don't have it as standard.

In other words, any time there is a major update to a forum, all the fiddly bits that are user add-ons/plugins need time to get re-established.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1