Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

11 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

You. Your subjective opinion. This may surprise you, but I am well aware that not everybody thinks exactly the same and that nuance exists. Even the people on Twitter who you love to complain as out of touch buffoons who want to "cancel" everybody (and honestly, folks like you care way more about Twitter than the people who actually use it) are not this monolithic group who all believe the same stuff. Sure, a good chunk of people may agree something is too offensive and hurtful, but a good chunk of people agree on certain things all the time. And they have the right to call out comedians, who do hold a position of power, for what they feel is punching down just as much as you have in the opposite scenario.

Regardless, comedians are in no way an endangered species nor threatened like you've made it out to be in your recent posts. Chris Rock's instance is 100% certain to be a rarity (no, people won't slap comedians in the face like you're fearing the evil Twitter users will do), Amy Schumer will still get TV and stand-up gigs, and people holding funnymen more accountable for what they say might cause some jokes to fall aside, but if a few tasteless gags that 9 times out of 9 aren't even funny are no longer used...yeah, I fail to see how that's such a horrible thing to fret about.

Vast majority of people on twitter are looking at memes and news....

and there is a hyper active minority who go into issues of race and politics and want to cancel everyone who dont agree with them.

This group is giving sort of outsized voice to say what is right or wrong which is the major reasons why things such a hyper partasin mess.

The issue is the same people on twitter calling out toxic masculinity then are saying Will smith has a right to defend his wifes honour against a bad joke... So they are not even consistent on their values.

People who engage on twitter canceling people 24/7  are not an actual reflection of society and is mostly urban upper middle class types who complain about such things. 

People on twitter who are focused on trying to cancel people all the time have no sense of reality out side of twitter and generally are more concerned about virtue signalling their beliefs. 

I have seen it in the past two years with Covid.

Sit at home tweeting about lockdowns and we should all stayhome then having uber eats and amazon orime come to their house 3 times a day. They projected the good virtue to their followers and the world but in reality all these people are working are letting them stay home and tweet all day. 

Edited by Torontofan

5 minutes ago, Torontofan said:

The issue is the same people on twitter calling out toxic masculinity then are saying Will smith has a right to defend his wifes honour against a bad joke... then complain about punching up and down on comedy.

People i generally find on twitter have no sense of reality out side of twitter and generally are more concerned about virtue signalling their beliefs. 

Sit at home tweeting about lockdowns and stayhome then having uber eats and amazon orime come to their house 3 times a day.

Then ignore them. I'm not sure why you are so bothered by them. You claim that they don't matter and are so detached with reality, yet at the same time whine about how terrible they are. If you don't care about them, why are you so hyperfixated on them? Why do you care about what they do so much? You seem more offended by them then whatever it is they are offended about.

9 minutes ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

Then ignore them. I'm not sure why you are so bothered by them. You claim that they don't matter and are so detached with reality, yet at the same time whine about how terrible they are. If you don't care about them, why are you so hyperfixated on them? Why do you care about what they do so much? You seem more offended by them then whatever it is they are offended about.

cause lazy journalists take some random tweets with 2 likes and be like "society says this is bad" and write articles that takes twitter nonesense into the mainstream public. 

What happens is we get distorted narratives to what is actually going causing a lot of tension and divides in society which then impacts people like you and me.

I know Facebook is worse with this but that gets a lot of attention, but I feel twitter gets a pass for some odd reason. 

Edited by Torontofan

1 minute ago, Torontofan said:

cause lazy journalists take some random tweets with 2 likes and be like "society says this is bad" and write articles that takes twitter nonesense into the mainstream public. 

What happens is we get distorted narratives to what is actually going causing a lot of tension and divides in society which then impacts people like you and me.

I know Facebook is worse with this but that gets a lot of attention, but I feel twitter gets a pass for some odd reason. 

Honey, if you seriously think a couple random articles about some random tweets are the worst things that has happened to this world lately, and represent everything wrong with society, I sincerely envy your naïve perspective and I suggest you pick up a newspaper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, MrPink said:

@Porthos

I was down short a few people in our fantasy baseball league and I thought about asking you but then I got scared because you'd probably be good at it. Consider this a sign of respect. :hahaha:

OH IS *THAT* THE EXCUSE!!! j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif j1aUlyv.gif

Fair enuf.  :hahaha:

Make sure to hit me up next year tho, if you have an opening. 👍

(I'm actually used to Points Leagues, so my roto skills are a little rusty, fwiw)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Eric the Hedgehog said:

2016 was a long time ago. People's tolerance and standards change, which is objectively a good thing. If you want me to give you a good line on something, just think of the "punching up vs. punching down" method. If a comedian mocks transgender people or Muslims or other oppressed groups of people, that's punching down and that's not okay. Mocking people in power, like politicians or billionaires or racists, is punching up and that's okay.

And even then, looking at Gervais' joke, despite going after a big, major celebrity, there's still a lot of dated "women can't drive har har har" jokes that are punching down and super sexist and even used Caitlyn's dead name in his bit, which is also punching down. Sure, maybe people were fine with it in 2016, but that doesn't make it okay, and it shows that he needs to adapt his taste, at least if he wants to be a good person.

For the record, I'm more than fine with people dunking on Caitlyn Jenner. She's a garbage human and sucks hardcore. But deadnaming and using sexist humor against her is not the way to do it.

I dont get how you are fine with people dunking on Caitlyn at the expense of the person she ran over as long as its not sexist however you're not fine with Amy joking about Baldwins incident because thats apparently at the expense of the cinematographer who was shot? Bit hyprocritical no? 

And lets not pretent peoples tolerance and standards have massively changed just because yours did. Those who found his jokes in 2016 funny still find them funny in 2022. The moment you bring in all these rules you ruin it.  

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

the tarintino account is someone who's been banned like ten times before i'm pretty sure lol.

I know who you're talking about, and I'm fairly convinced, but I haven't found any concrete evidence that it's you-know-who. Although that was the case for their Chicago account, and we figured out their identity soon enough.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

The_Futurist coming back under a new name when the Avatar teaser drops

Surprisingly there's no trace of them. You would think they would return when Don't Look Up dropped, but I think they've moved on to better things. I hope they're happy.

• Like 2