Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 4/5/2022 at 10:42 AM, Eric the Hedgehog said:

2016 was a long time ago. People's tolerance and standards change, which is objectively a good thing. If you want me to give you a good line on something, just think of the "punching up vs. punching down" method. If a comedian mocks transgender people or Muslims or other oppressed groups of people, that's punching down and that's not okay. Mocking people in power, like politicians or billionaires or racists, is punching up and that's okay.

That does follow the internal logic it seem, racist are not that much in power, it is very often punching down mocking racists( I doubt poor / less educated people tend to be less racist then the richer/more educated group, among countries but even inside them).

And Muslims it depends, maybe they are oppressed in some part in China and so on, but that a giant diverse group of people that goes from the most very most powerful, richest people on earth to the poorest, like Christian (that are also oppressed in some part of the world).

And there is axis of power, obviously some powerless in some ways but powerful culturally/taboo to talk about, that muddy the line, jokes about pandas/baby for example are you punching down or up ?

• Like 1

i

11 minutes ago, AJG said:

Smacked that man down. Immediately wins an Oscar. Gets excused from suffering the indignity of an Amy Schumer monologue for ten years…

The GOAT

skynews-will-smith-oscars-academy-awards

You find SMith's behavior worthy of praise?

Damn at that Will Smith ban. The cynic in me thought he would get off with a slap on the wrist, if only so that the desperate producers could try to milk his return to the Oscars next year for ratings.

1 hour ago, Inceptionzq said:

Tigers run the AL Central. Yes I will overreact after 1/162 games

Not gonna lie, I think they look good as potential breakout candidates, especially if the young guys find their footing faster than expected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Giants spit on the Ghost Runner rule and intentionally get their ghost runner TOOTBLAN'd and win the game the old fashioned way!!!!! :sparta:

I was watching the Red Sox/Yankees game earlier today and rolled my eyes hard when I remembered that the ghost runner is still a thing. It's even worse if you're a scorecard/scorebook person (which I try to do at least once a week, just for fun) and have to mark guys on second who literally did nothing to get there.

Here's to hoping that the Giants have another miracle season in them! (Sorry, Tele.)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Torontofan said:

Of course the cancel culture people thinks violence is a good way to stop comedians from telling jokes. 

Cancel culture isn't real dude. Besides, AJG was clearly cracking a joke here. I get your whole personality is "grr liberals bad", but at least try to use some context before you post something.

15 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Starship Troopers is a work of art.

Its on both Netflix and Hulu right now, gave it another watch last week.

When it comes to space marines fighting hordes of hostile alien bugs, Starship Troopers > Aliens emot-smug.gif

Starship Troopers isn't supposed to be the type of movie that gets better with age, but my god is it aging like fine wine.

Also the visuals in that movie hold up remarkably well.

Paul Verhoeven's best movie imho.

15 hours ago, Tarintino said:

The only good bug is a dead bug

Everyday federal scientists are looking for new ways to kill bugs.

What you like to know more?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

Early 2000s nostalgia really is all the rage these days lol.

She announced her split from ex-fiancé A-Rod on April 15, 2021, less than one year ago. Still, I'm not surprised Bennifer got back together: they always sounded so wistful about each other, years after the breakup. JLo has to know the media's going to be making Thanos jokes and slideshows of all her engagement rings, but she doesn't care, she still believes in love. No wonder she's so drawn to romcoms: her life is one. 

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

4 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

She announced her split from ex-fiancé A-Rod on April 15, 2021, less than one year ago. Still, I'm not surprised Bennifer got back together: they always sounded so wistful about each other, years after the breakup. JLo has to know the media's going to be making Thanos jokes and slideshows of all her engagement rings, but she doesn't care, she still believes in love. No wonder she's so drawn to romcoms: her life is one. 

I watched Marry Me on Peacock on Valentine's Day and thought to myself while watching it that, even though the movie's entire plot is completely outlandish, I can totally see JLo pulling something like that in real life lmao.

• Like 1