Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

On 12/6/2023 at 12:02 PM, Porthos said:

Man, those reviews for the Open World Avatar game sure are something, aren't they?

Even setting aside the, um, interesting tact the Polygon review took, which I am sure won't generate any backlash at all

(NARRATOR:  Remember, it's not lying if it's sarcasm)

– sure are a lot of the same complaints out there about sameness and bloat and whatnot.  

If I had to parse them at a quick glance, I'd say that this is something of a reaction to folks feeling the game is missing that spark/élan that makes the best open world games interesting and engaging.  The sense of discovery of "Huh, just what is that around the corner?" Even repetitive game play can still be interesting as long as there is engaging mini-stories to be unearthed.

Now this is just the initial wave of reviews.  Doesn't mean the GA will react the same way.  But have to think this isn't what Ubisoft really wanted to see the day before release.

I haven't really been following it at all, but the advertising campaign seems to be picking up, and it just doesn't look very good, imo. 

17 minutes ago, XXR Delayed Until 2025 said:

Funnily enough though, as a % of MLB revenue in the year of signing, Ohtani's is still less than A-Rods. 

The worst thing about this is, with the size of the dollar amount, I can't even be mad that the Giants didn't land him, as unlikely as it might have been.

10/700m would have been an insane amount even if Ohtani wasn't coming off of a second Tommy John. Even 12/750 with a healthy elbow would have caused me to pop my eyebrows at least a little.

But 10/700 with all of the uncertainty a second TJ brings?  I don't care how much of the contract is deferred, Giants were never getting in that league (even though they could in fact afford it).

Gonna be real curious to see what the league front office thinks of the deferred structure here, when the deets finally get out.

TV Golden Globe nominations:

Golden Globes 2024: Full Nominations List (variety.com)

Whole lot of love for the Succession cast to go around.

The Globes resurrecting Woody Harrelson and Elizabeth Olsen for their failed Emmy bait shows is something that seems especially on point for them.

This reminds me of quite a few shows I've been meaning to catch up on. Lessons in Chemistry, Daisy Jones & the Six. Also looking forward to watching The Curse (those HGTV shows from what I've seen just through sheer pop culture exposure are ripe for satire) once it's finished too. We are still living in The Stone Age!

For entirely personal reasons, Bomer is the one I'm most happy for out of all the nominees (either TV or film). Haven't watched Fellow Travelers yet (will once it's done this week) but TV Line just named him Performer of the Week for the penultimate episode. Hopefully having this and Maestro out at the same time results in landing more higher-profile work.

• Like 1

On 12/11/2023 at 8:47 AM, ChipDerby said:

Would love a political breakdown by age. I can't imagine any left leaning young person would think either of these things.

I see you have not yet accepted that 'Left Wing Antiseimitism" is a real thing, or that the militant left can be just as evil as the political left; see Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot for details.

You also have all too ,many young people regardless of Political leanings being  incredibly ignorant of history, and that makes them more likely to be fooled by people pushing crap history.

And a lot of young people mouth left wing rhetoric not out of any real conviction or knowledge, but simply it is the cool, hip trendy thing to so...and those are the worst reasons for taking a  political stasnce.

Edited by dudalb

Braugher's death is very tough for bisexual me. Brooklyn Nine-Nine was my favorite show when I was in high school, and Braugher as Holt (also Jamal from Empire, despite Jussie now doing his...thing) was very important in getting me more comfortable about my sexuality. That it was okay to be LGBT and not fall into certain stereotypes or traits. He really changed my life for the better. This is all just sad to know.

• Like 6