Water Bottle

Classic Conversation Thread

14 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Extremely unlikely but Nolan can do a Fabelmans/Marriage Story about his life with Woody, Matthew McConaughey and Josh Lucas as the brothers.

But seriously I think Nolan's next movie depends on how well he and Oppenheimer do at the Oscars. :)

Never went to film school, have only seen many Twitter discussions of professors despairing that most students think everything before 2000 is "old" and just aspire to make MCU movies or be YouTubers...

Nah need nolan making epic scale movies or about interesting topics

• Like 1

American fiction was a good watch

It sort of mocked our current culture and how white people look at minorities. 

That the only story to tell about minorities is the suffering, not them just living interesting cool lives as well. 

The movie was quite nuanced cause it seems telling those stories are important but it reduces people to that only.

16 hours ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

But seriously I think Nolan's next movie depends on how well he and Oppenheimer do at the Oscars. :)

He's likely taking Director even if the movie loses Picture but I wonder what random project he could follow up the Oscar glory with that would dumbfound his fan base to the "we're breaking up" point now that he won't have to be concerned about winning one for much longer. The most blatantly cash-grabby thing we could think of to secure the big payday lol.

3 hours ago, filmlover said:

He's likely taking Director even if the movie loses Picture but I wonder what random project he could follow up the Oscar glory with that would dumbfound his fan base to the "we're breaking up" point now that he won't have to be concerned about winning one for much longer. The most blatantly cash-grabby thing we could think of to secure the big payday lol.

• Directs a pretty straightforward Bluey or Cocomelon movie
  • Completes his World War II film trilogy with a Rosie the Riveter musical comedy
  • Standard musician biopic of Liza Minnelli complete with lip syncing (bonus points for angering the Gaga stans by not casting her)
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Interstellar-Dunkirk-Tenet-Oppenheimer presents a pattern. Clearly he's just going to alternate between divisive sci-fi and acclaimed WWII movies for the rest of his career.

I mean he makes another film like interstellar again...whatever flaws it may had it really made you think

22 hours ago, dudalb said:

Yes, but you expect a bit more from serious film students.

Last I checked, most film students are only focused on getting into the business, not analyzing and reviewing them. And the problem isn't really on the students, but more on the sad, terrible fact that, under capitalism, old movies aren't "marketable" enough. Every movie that is considered relevant these days are movies that came out over the last few years, came out when you were a kid, so you can bank on nostalgia, or part of a franchise where you can easily sell Funko Pops. Anything pre-Godfather doesn't fit in these guidelines, so there's zero reason to advertise them or make people who like movies have an urge to seek them out. The only exceptions to this rule are classic Disney films like Snow White or Peter Pan, and it's only because Disney wants to sell toys based on them.

So yeah, if you want to blame somebody over these film students not caring about the classics, blame our culture, not those who are products of the culture.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Some Wrestling fans are blaming themselves for not watching the Great Black Adam in theaters and therefore causing it to flop, Leaving the Rock no choice, but to shoehorn himself into WrestleMania. Funny Enough it draws similarities to when he shunned Shazam to set up a Black Adam vs Superman Movie. The man thinks of everything in terms of Wrestling cards, and he always wants the Top Card (Main Event Matchup).

The Interstellar mention earlier reminded me it's also the 10th anniversary of this iconic photo shoot.

Interstellar' First Look: 7 New Photos

Entertainment Weekly — EVERYTHING we learned on the set of Interstellar.

1. Why does Chastain vaguely resemble Annabelle on the cover?

2. Are we sure the second isn't just a promotional photo for Mission: Space at Epcot?

So definitely bring on "another Interstellar" if it means another legendarily bad promotional shoot with your cast like this, Christopher!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

@excel1 this is a weird point for sure

Pair him with Elizabeth Debicki!

But I have heard this before, about other actors including Armie Hammer (who obviously had bigger issues). The theory is that most leading men are not 6'5" so they don't want to share the screen and look "puny" next to this younger more virile dude. So the very tall guys get relegated to tall guy roles or their careers just lose heat. The inflection point for male actors is like 6'2" or 6'3", above that actors will start lying about their heights the other way. If a guy is shorter than average, he can either own it or wear lifts.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

I just listened to the soundtrack of the first Hobbit movie while writing and i somehow felt extremely nostalgic. And then it just struck me that this movie cam out in 2012.

12 years ago.

Man, time flies so fast, its crazy.

On 2/6/2024 at 2:26 PM, lorddemaxus said:

Frankly, I have more of a problem with the fact that these college level film courses fail to inspire students to explore and check movies outside of their comfort zone.

I think we are talking abou tthe same thing, but with different terms.

On 2/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, BoxOfficeFangrl said:
  • Directs a pretty straightforward Bluey or Cocomelon movie
  • Completes his World War II film trilogy with a Rosie the Riveter musical comedy
  • Standard musician biopic of Liza Minnelli complete with lip syncing (bonus points for angering the Gaga stans by not casting her)

If he was going to do another World War 2 film, i wish he would do a straigh follow up to Dunkirk about the Battle Of Britian.